Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 22:33   #1

Boat: Trawler
US Customs raises user fee

For returning to the US the US Customs has raised the private vessel (& aircraft +) fee to $27.50 as of April 1, 2007.

It's funny! As US citizens it doesn't cost anything to cross over but if we want to come home we have to pay. It seems the border guys need a pay raise.

FR Doc 07-335
Yours Aye!
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
wonder what would happen if they charged that per POV that returned?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 16:28   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I'd like to apply for illegal alien status. That way, I could come in for free, not to mention all the gummint benefits just begging to be picked in Seattle.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 23:54   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I paid the increased fee which provides one with an annual sticker to help offset the cost to the border security expenses such as donuts and stuff. Since I am back and forth across the border a lot I feel that is is not a great burden. The cost however probably does not pay for the paperwork involved to get the sticker which no one pays any attention to anyhow.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:44   #5

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I am glad that I am under 30 feet and do not have to worry about it.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:32   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I applied for the sticker online. It took about 5 min. It came in the mail a week later. Absolutly painless. Same for my VHF/SSB station licence. I wish the Motor Vehicle Dept. could work so well.

The bad news is you have to go to a customs office to check into the USA.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Rules say only to Call in when returning

The rules say that the captain has to call the nearest customs office immediately when the boat first arrives back in the USA. The rules do not say to go to the customs office. The rules do not require you to go to any particular port. Once you call then the captain may be asked to come visit them along with the crew or they may want to visit your boat or they may decide to let you go on your way after asking you a number of questions. Yes, the fee has gone up. I bought one the other day.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:34   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I don't know the last time you checked in but on the east coast they give you a great big long number which includes the time to the second. You then have 24 hours to report to a Homeland Security office. In FL they have started a "frequent crosser" program where you can register before you leave US waters and when you call in there's no requirement to report to the office. Every person aboard has to have a registration number. Only available to US citizens.
Old 09-10-2007, 15:44   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
quoted from the printed rules

Vasco: I quoted from the rules as printed. Your experience, and from your byline as a Canadian I assume, I do not question. The last time I cleared in to the USA and as the owner/captain of a US documented boat with a previously purchased customs required entry decal was in the spring of 2006. I did not have to show myself in person after I called in by phone as required in the printed rules. Just my experience. I am aware of the new frequent crossing program but have not had a chance to use it yet. I think if you enter into a state other than Florida that a US citizen might experience a different situation. Now I am opening up a new can of worms that I hesitated even mentioning because of the political aspects of the remarks but what the heck I will just say it. You are aware, I assume, that the current US administration picks on Canadian boats because of their free and easy access to Cuba and the fairly frequent travel that Canadian cruisers make to Cuba. Its kinda like the way that Canadian border guards often really super inspect my camper for firearms and ammo when I make my almost annual pilgramage to my old home in Alaska. Some folks just get more attention than others. This may or not apply in this case but one never knows. Cheer and fair winds.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00   #10

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I don't know the last time you checked in but on the east coast they give you a great big long number which includes the time to the second. You then have 24 hours to report to a Homeland Security office. In FL they have started a "frequent crosser" program where you can register before you leave US waters and when you call in there's no requirement to report to the office. Every person aboard has to have a registration number. Only available to US citizens.
I asked them about it last time we came back from the bahamas, the agent said that unless you are crossing back and forth several times each year that program isn't worth it, you have to go to west palm and interview (all people you plan to have on board) then they approve you and you can do it again next year. Now if you bring anyone along that hasn't been through the process, it was my understanding you had go through customs anyhow, not just them.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:21   #11

Lat,

It's difficult getting correct information from the authorities but this spring when we came back from the Bahamas we were with two buddy boats from Michigan. We all cleared in at Cape Canaveral and they got their "passes" right there, in fact the agent suggested they get them. It took five minutes. It's good for as long as the program is in effect. Each person aboard got one and each pass has a pin number which you must quote when clearing in . Unfortunately we don't qualify but if you're an American citizen it's certainly advisable to get one. Sure will save a lot of bureaucratic b.s. and dinking ashore and walking to the office (Lake Worth) or taking a cab to the airport (Ft. Pierce)
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59   #12

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
yea that was the fort pierce office that told me we had to make an appt and go to west palm LOL

It's ok, i was told by the martin county cops that searched the boat with dog and all that we could no longer check in anywhere but west palm, to which I replied, well thats funny because i called them about a month ago and they said fort pierce was fine....which it is.

It's worth looking into again that's for sure.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 13:28   #13

The Ft. Pierce office is the worst one on the east coast of Fl. I think they send all their disgruntled employees there.
Old 10-10-2007, 15:18   #14

So what happens, as a US citizen when you come back to your own country but don't check in? Do they deport you?

Oh, wait...

Jay Jennings
Jay Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 15:45   #15

No, they seize your boat, fine you and throw you in jail. Other than that it's no big deal!

Tags
ais, customs