Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 11:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450f
Selling my mast, rigging and sails 450f??

Serious question.

Lagoon 450f 2017.

We’ve just arrived in the BV, wn route to Florida where we plan to de mast and stay on the ICW for 3 - 5 years.

Would there be a market to sell our mast etc here in the BVI? We would just then motor up to FL.

Just thinking that the mast might be needed here and it would save on the storage cost.

Anyone have a view on this? And what would a year old set of kit be worth second hand?

Best regards

Nigel
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:52   #2

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: Selling my mast, rigging and sails 450f??

this is a shot in the dark perhaps, but there was a Lagoon owner looking for a mast on here not too long ago. might want to check with him/her. it is a Lagoon 42 but maybe... just in case

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-204818.html
Old 05-01-2019, 07:10   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
Serious question.

Lagoon 450f 2017.

We’ve just arrived in the BV, wn route to Florida where we plan to de mast and stay on the ICW for 3 - 5 years.

Would there be a market to sell our mast etc here in the BVI? We would just then motor up to FL.

Just thinking that the mast might be needed here and it would save on the storage cost.

Anyone have a view on this? And what would a year old set of kit be worth second hand?

Best regards

Nigel
Serious response. Wouldn’t it just be wiser to sail to Florida, sell your boat, and buy the powerboat of your choice? Trying to find a buyer for your rig and sails won’t be simple and everyone will rightly expect a large percentage off from the new replacement cost. Whereas five years from now you will be searching for a used rig and sails and may very well have to purchase a new rig and sails at an inflated current market price.
Spending five years on the ICW in a catamaran minus her rig is a poor choice in my opinion. Berthing costs, maneuverability, etc. are just the obvious disadvantages.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There is a huge demand for used rigs in the islands due to the hurricanes. Almost all of the damaged boats have lost their rigs. Selling it should not be a problem.

I will disagree with Orion Jim on the maneuverability issue because as you know that boat (like most cats) will just about spin in it's own length. Berthing will be the bigger issue but not insurmountable. It would be a great ICW boat because of the relatively shallow draft. Good Looper too.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Some years ago, I actually dropped the mast of my Leopard 45 and shipped it from the Chesapeake to Ft. Lauderdale, where we renewed the standing rigging and re-stepped it. The catamaran was a superb ICW boat, and I would love to do that trip, again...didn't have quite enough time, that first time. An unexpected benefit was that, with the exception of two floating bridges, we didn't have to wait for a single bridge opening, for the whole distance. We had one foot clearance with the lowest bridge, just had to quickly lower the HF radio antenna. Meanwhile, even lots of small power boats had to wait, not to mention the sailboats!

The market for masts here, in the BVI, was excellent, and I am sure still is. I would recommend getting in touch with Wickam's Cay II Rigging and the various yacht brokers, starting with BVI Yacht Sales. It's been more than a year now, but there are still a lot of boats around without masts. A find such as your mast would make someone really happy. I am the beneficiary of a somewhat similar situation, FWIW.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:44   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Thanks for the responses - all valid!

I agree that were we to be just focused on the Great Loop - we might look at trading through for a Trawler, but as it is we hope to continue sailing in 4 or 5 years time; perhaps circumnavigating.

The 450 is for us the perfect Loop boat, as has been mentioned, low draft, a synch to park and bridge clearance being key - but also the space you get on a 45’ boat is just too much to give up, (we’ve had motor boats for the last 15 years before coming over to sails 12 months ago).

I think, on reflection, we are perhaps better off un stepping and storing. The new rig (complete) looks like $50k - I’d be ok to sell ours for 60% of that but I imagine that is unlikely to be possible.

I will try the contacts listed above while we are here and thanks again for the responses.
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
Thanks for the responses - all valid!

I agree that were we to be just focused on the Great Loop - we might look at trading through for a Trawler, but as it is we hope to continue sailing in 4 or 5 years time; perhaps circumnavigating.

The 450 is for us the perfect Loop boat, as has been mentioned, low draft, a synch to park and bridge clearance being key - but also the space you get on a 45’ boat is just too much to give up, (we’ve had motor boats for the last 15 years before coming over to sails 12 months ago).

I think, on reflection, we are perhaps better off un stepping and storing. The new rig (complete) looks like $50k - I’d be ok to sell ours for 60% of that but I imagine that is unlikely to be possible.

I will try the contacts listed above while we are here and thanks again for the responses.

If your rig is less than two years old, and everything is in perfect shape, don't be surprised if you get that 60%.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rigging, sail, sails