Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 07:34   #31

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Sailing downwind techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Our present downwind rig has been modified.

We have double headsails with one sail on the profurl headstay and the second headsail set up on a code zero rig. Both sails are 500 square feet. One is nine ounce Dacron and the other is seven ounce Dacron. The code zero is either fully out or fully furled. Sometimes we use the poles and sometimes we don’t.

This set up is quicker to set up and use. It’s also faster to furl. If the wind picks up we roll up the code zero rig first. Since both sails are the same size, the rig is balanced making things easier for the autopilot as well.

On a multi day downwind sail we might use the poles.

It’s not the perfect solution, but it works for us.
That sounds good. So you have a torsion line and some kind of top down or bottom up furling system. Is it happy coping with the heavier weight cloth? I imagine a normal Code Zero is much much less than 7oz material used on a genoa. My main (only) genoa is 7.5oz and it's a heavy material to me.

I'll be doing an Atlantic crossing east to west at the end of the year, so keen find a setup that works well for that.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:08   #32

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

During our recently-completed circumnavigation, we probably sailed ‘wing-on-wing’ 40% of the time. We used our asymmetrical a few times but we were reluctant to fly it at night and the minimal speed increase it offered wasn’t enough to justify the effort to hoist and retrieve. We were much too lazy to broad reach and jibe. Still, our passage times weren’t too bad, for example, the passage from Banderas Bay in Mexico to Hiva Oa in the Marquesas was 18 days, slightly over 3,000 miles.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 13:18   #33

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post
That would be the flag of Monaco (or an upside down Polish flag)

It is a right side up Indonesian flag.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 17:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
It is a right side up Indonesian flag.

My bad, I forgot about Indonesia. (I find it easier to remember Monaco and Poland because of their Geographic Proximity - Poland on top of Europe with white on top, Monaco bottom with white on bottom). I would still say Solarbri’s most excellent spinnaker has flag W:L dimensions of 2:1 so closer to Monaco’s flag 4:5 than Indonesia’s 2:3
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 22:52   #35
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
During our recently-completed circumnavigation, we probably sailed ‘wing-on-wing’ 40% of the time. We used our asymmetrical a few times but we were reluctant to fly it at night and the minimal speed increase it offered wasn’t enough to justify the effort to hoist and retrieve. We were much too lazy to broad reach and jibe. Still, our passage times weren’t too bad, for example, the passage from Banderas Bay in Mexico to Hiva Oa in the Marquesas was 18 days, slightly over 3,000 miles.

Fair winds and calm seas.
That was a good clip. I hate being lazy when there is stuff to do, but it just seems natural on a long passage.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreton99 View Post
Thank you all for comments. Very helpful explanations.
Factor, I try not to bother 44c too much. He has been such a great help to me from when I first bought the boat.
Boatman61, i often run straight downwind and enjoy the easy passage but I am worried the boat will get the shits that I am not at least trying to use her to potential.
If your destination is DDW you're almost certainly better to sail DDW to it, unless you've got an sail GP or Americas cup boat. Very few cruising boats would be fast enough to benefit from tacking downwind.

The Tarjan article is (IMO) more about using boatspeed to convert a deep reach into a broad reach.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:14   #37

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

We sailed twice (2013 and 2015) from the Virgin Islands to south Florida, downwind, wing and wing, for 7 days. We had a Manta 40 catamaran with only main and jib, but the jib has a camber spar that makes it easy to tie it to the bow cleat. It also had a boom brake, so an unintentional gybe was a non-event, and we only had one. We kept a double reef in the main because Chris Parker said we might see 40 knot winds at times. We never saw more that 30 knots. We set the autopilot to hold 160° apparent and had smooth sailing the entire way. The first time was just my wife and me, doing 4 on 4 off. We had a third crewman the second time that made it even more enjoyable.
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44   #38

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I’m sure it’s very boat specific, but when sailing downwind with the spinnaker i put the sheets through block on the stern cleats and leas them back to a winch.

Does anyone do this with their genoa? I’ve found that when poled out the sheet angle is so that it puts an amazing amount of strain on the pole.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:52   #39

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Our present downwind rig has been modified.

On a multi day downwind sail we might use the poles.

It’s not the perfect solution, but it works for us.
Dave
I very much appreciate this discussion. Why is it not prefect (as if anything is!). What I mean is, why bother with the poles if the barberhaulers are "good enough? It seems much simpler, and no poles needed either.

If you did not have a symmetrical, nor poles, but only a Genoa and furling Gennaker, would you invest in poles and the rigging required to set them up?

Thanks
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 00:19   #40

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

DDW, I found that using only the Genoa was the best for me,

Same direction for a week in the trade winds, No matter where or how I put the main sail using the GPS to get the best speed,
I only got 1 knot difference in speed, so I packed away the main sail and left it covered up, It wasnt worth the effort,

Self furling Genoa operated from the cockpit, I could put it out or in depending on the wind force, and could maintain an average speed of 5 to 9 knots,
Mainly around 7 knots, Nice cruisy speed,

I did get 14 knots on the sail Chute,
GPS and Autopilot, I spent most of my time sitting or laying on the hammock hanging from the Dinghy Davits on the transom at the back of the boat,
It was also the most stable part of the boat, Always flat and level,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101 (2).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	191926   Click image for larger version

Name:	349.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	191927