Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 07:19   #1

Staying fit while cruising

Anyone who managed to install a rowing machine or a cycle trainer on a cat?
One of our worries is how to keep up with cardio training while cruising
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:37   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Staying fit while cruising

If you do a search you should find several threads on the subject of cardio while cruising. The short answer is that you really don't need special equipment to stay fit while on passage. There are any number of body weight exercises you can do and there are several good books on the subject. While not specific to boats, the exercises can easily be adapted to on-board use. At one time I toyed with the idea of hooking up a cycle trainer to an alternator, 2 birds with one stone, but again, found going to such lengths unnecessary. Some of the things we do to stay fit are to avoid power winches whenever possible and leave the outboard in it's locker and row the dinghy. We also have added a Hobie Mirage tandem kayak to our toy stash. The thing was ridiculous expensive, but we use it almost daily and it is not only great for cardio, it really expands our kayaking range. We think little of pedaling for 6-8 miles, whereas paddling we rarely covered more than 2.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

You walk a lot as a cruiser to go anywhere. Nothing would stop you from running instead
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We made some TRX equipment (2 sets) and use that while at anchor. Easy to set up and packs up compactly.

As discussed, normal activities as swimming, rowing, biking and hiking will keep one in shape.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15   #5

Snorkeling. That's it! Never been so fit as when I snorkeled 4-5 days a week. Down 15-20 feet and up for an hour or so. Your lungs will never be better and your muscles will ALL be great!
Get good snorkeling gear and a thin skin suit if necessary to encourage you to go.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Why in the World would you want a rowing machine, when you can row the dinghy?
It’s like these people that buy those exercise cycles with the big screen.
Why not ride a real bike, you know, out in the world, look at real life, not a screen?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:31   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

If you walk, carry a loaded pack or better yet, carry the pack empty and walk to get supplies.

Do push ups and pull ups

Do squats with dumbbells or a gallon bottle of water (or an anchor)

Run/jog

Do Yoga

Pull the anchor by hand

Use a kayak instead of a dinghy
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:36   #8

I came here to post, like a64pilot said, that a dinghy is a rowing machine.

You're on a boat, presumably surrounded by water. Swimming is exercise. Rowing your dinghy is exercise. When you get to land, you can run or lug groceries.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46   #9

Thanks for the input. I agree that everyday activities is a good way to keep fitness up. But that’s given, I was thinking of best practices for High intensity training. Rowing a dinghy might be good, but you can’t really get your heart rate up since everything is flexing.
Swimming is off course very good if not the best. But damn it’s boring
Old 06-05-2019, 08:57   #10

Boat: Outbound 46

Try hiking to the Boiling Lake on Dominica. If you push the pace at all, I guarantee that you will get your heart rate up as high as you like. I recommend hiring a guide for this trip, by the way.

Many of the Caribbean islands are very mountainous, and hiking certainly can qualify as high-intensity exercise.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Last November I sailed down from Jacksonville to Key West with a few stop overs once I hit the keys. For the first 6 weeks I rowed the dinghy 1 mile into town each day. For the last 3 months I ride my bike to work 4 miles away just about every day. Weekends I walk around town, snorkle (clean the bottom) etc. My activity level is soooo much higher than when I had an office job and lived on a dock in Jacksonville. I'm down 25 - 30 lbs and I don't think about what I eat or doing anything special excercise wise. At 49 years old I'm in the best shape of my life (and I credit it with living out on a mooring ball where doing anything takes effort).
Old 06-05-2019, 09:04   #12

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

It's called sailing!

Hauling lines, winching, keeping balance, rowing the dink, swimming over your anchor, walking to the market to get groceries. It's all exercise and a damn sight better for you than a boring machine as you get a full body workout based on what the body does each and every day and you get an interesting view.

Believe me nothing is more intense than winching if you really want some HIIT exercise, especially if you have a furling main and putting a reef in with 20kts!

If you don't think rowing the dink is going to get your heart rate up then get an inflatable kayak or even a rigid one. Then do sprints across the bay in it. You can even do that in the dink by having sprint races around the boat.

You want a chin up bar? Tighten the topping lift and use the boom
You want weights? Fill a jerry can with 10 litres of water and there's a 10kg+ weight.
You want steps? Use the cockpit seats

There's a million fun and interesting ways to exercise on or off a boat without resorting to the dullness of a machine. Get your brain retrained away from the gym, gyms are for people with no imagination.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:56   #13

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Why would you want to lug a heavy exercise bike or rowing machine around with you?

Sailing is fantastic full body exercise, from hauling sheets to winching halyards to even just standing up right as the boat moves constantly under your feet. Balancing uses all the little muscles you don't even know you have which burns more calories than you realise.

If you want to exercise there are so many better ways to do it than sitting on a stationary device. Row your dinghy in sprint laps around the boat as it drifts around it's anchor, row to shore and go for a walk or a run or get the groceries on your back. Go swimming or play catch ball in the water with the kids (or just be a big kid).

You want chin ups? Tighten the topping lift and use the boom
You want weights? Use your coiled mooring lines
You want HIIT? Winch someone up to the top of the mast
You want steps? Use the companion way steps or the cockpit seats

Get an inflatable kayak and paddle around the bay exploring. Paddling against the wind and currents will give you a great upper body workout. Get a folding bike and go for a cycle.

Re train your brain away from the gym, the gym is boring and for people with no imagination. The real world has so many fun ways to keep you fit it is a shame to waste it on a machine.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:57   #14

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Anyone who managed to install a rowing machine or a cycle trainer on a cat?
One of our worries is how to keep up with cardio training while cruising
On a cat you should have decent options. We're limited on our small monohull,
and use stretchy (bungee-like) cords plus a little yoga. I do push-ups in the cockpit when I think of it. Push-ups are pretty much the same thing as bench presses. Of course none of this is really 'cardio' I guess, unless you do it really fast!
I saw a guy last year who had a speed-bag (for boxing) set up across his solar arch. He worked out in the morning, and was pretty good. Good cardio training there to be sure. As for me, I'd rather take a beating than work out on a cycle trainer, and while I guess a rower would be bearable I go for a walk every day when I can get ashore, (even when it's a hassle) and usually turn into a slug when at sea, at least when it comes to the cardio-vascular thing.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Why would you want to lug a heavy exercise bike or rowing machine around with you?

Sailing is fantastic full body exercise, from hauling sheets to winching halyards to even just standing up right as the boat moves constantly under your feet. Balancing uses all the little muscles you don't even know you have which burns more calories than you realise.

If you want to exercise there are so many better ways to do it than sitting on a stationary device. Row your dinghy in sprint laps around the boat as it drifts around it's anchor, row to shore and go for a walk or a run or get the groceries on your back. Go swimming or play catch ball in the water with the kids (or just be a big kid).

You want chin ups? Tighten the topping lift and use the boom
You want weights? Use your coiled mooring lines
You want HIIT? Winch someone up to the top of the mast
You want steps? Use the companion way steps or the cockpit seats

Get an inflatable kayak and paddle around the bay exploring. Paddling against the wind and currents will give you a great upper body workout. Get a folding bike and go for a cycle.

Re train your brain away from the gym, the gym is boring and for people with no imagination. The real world has so many fun ways to keep you fit it is a shame to waste it on a machine.
I suggest you go back and think why you replied? Was it to help with a suggestion or to convey a message on how great you are?
Pretty pointless to be honest... and a waste of yours and my time /Eddie

Tags
cruising