Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 18:02   #16

Re: ROAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

If the engine access is through those external hatches on the back steps that's a deal killer.
It does have nice lines.

Hopefully the designer has learnt some valuable lessons about sealing engine hatches.
This design's older sister, the Spirited 380, had some well documented issues with regard to engine hatches allowing engines to flood.

Brett Schionning's designs should not be confused with his father's (Jeff).
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 18:10   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Elitist drivel. Sorry! but please.......

I love this boat and have watched their website for some time.
I drool over several Schonning G1500's and a G1800 that are moored near my boat.
Do I want one - YES. Will I get one - NO.

Why? Because I don't have the finance to have one built. I don't have the time or skill to build my own. I need a boat with four cabins (I have a family - which is why I can't afford the price). The list goes on....

So, I have a boat that worth 35-40% of Roam. I happily sail in comfort at 2/3 of their speed, frequently with 6-8 POB. I've sailed across the Tasman and up and down the east coast. Are there better sailors out there - you bet. Does owning a boat like Roam make one a better sailor - I don't think so. That's due to other things....

Should I spurn what I have and what I can afford, deny myself participation, waiting in hope that one day I can "make the grade" and get the true thoroughbred and become a real sailor? Face it, there is only a small percentage of sailors who will ever get access to boats like this. Perhaps many. like me aspire, but most through various reasons, mostly financial will be forced to make some compromise. In so doing, are they lesser sailors. I might have thought not! Surely the goal is participation, joy and self satisfaction. Gee, some people even like billy cart racing! can you believe it?
I have no issue with your comments however I have yet to see a Lagoon 440 in Australia listed for less than $475,000. Most are over $500,000.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 18:29   #18

There was a time, I think it was yesterday or maybe two days ago, when monohull sailors posted derogatory comments about catamarans. Now we have elitists like UNCIVILIZED posting comments about true sailors and how others are not.

What a sad commentary on how people judge others.

I have mentioned my particular need for a condomaran previously. But I guess for those like UNCIVILIZED AND OTHERS LIKE HIM, the sly comments will continue.

I would love to have a Chris White Atlantic. But its just not possible, given life's circumstances. If I get the chance to purchase a boat, it will be something the elitists disapprove of. And I do know how much I will enjoy being on the water with the sails set juuuuust right.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 18:39   #19

^^^^
5 years ago I priced having a professionally built Craig (not Brett?) Schonning Spirited 380 built. Ex-factory with performance mast and sails, but otherwise a basic and bare boat, was in the mid to high A$500Ks. 5 years on, and being a considerably bigger boat, I'd have thought a 480 built by, say, Julian in Noosa, would be in the A$1.1+M region. Then you have to kit it out for cruising... So $1.2M give or take. For argument's sake, 440's might be "asking" $500K but you'll buy one for mid 400's....So that's the basis for my price comparison.

BTW, I still love ROAM and harbor some envy.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 18:47   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

A Schionning? Well, depending on who and how build her the boat can be a piece of (self edited) too.

This part of the forum - are we discussing ads now or can we go out and do some sailing?

I do not like it. And I do not buy it. This should be in the 'vendors' part of the forum.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 18:47   #21

Click image for larger version

Name:	4bfa68c9626925445309a8e3af75ab6f.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	134960
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 18:56   #22

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 19:02   #23

Quote:
^^^^
5 years ago I priced having a professionally built Craig (not Brett?) Schonning Spirited 380 built. Ex-factory with performance mast and sails, but otherwise a basic and bare boat, was in the mid to high A$500Ks. 5 years on, and being a considerably bigger boat, I'd have thought a 480 built by, say, Julian in Noosa, would be in the A$1.1+M region. Then you have to kit it out for cruising... So $1.2M give or take. For argument's sake, 440's might be "asking" $500K but you'll buy one for mid 400's....So that's the basis for my price comparison.

Roam was built by her owners though. As they say, Roam wasn't built in a day...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 19:40   #24

Boat: Aloha 34

Aw common guys. This bickering is silly. It's not a right or wrong thing. It's personal preference, and there is simply no need for hostility. That's never the way to change someone's opinion. Back to boats!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 20:06   #25

Quote:
^^^^
Craig (not Brett?) Schonning Spirited 380 built.
Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of the two "Crowther" designs, by Loch and Brett. As with Schionning, not the same.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:42   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

But seriously now. If you like it lean and mean, why a boat that only looks sport? Why not a boat that actually IS sport?

A Ferrari with a Fiat engine is just a Fiat.

If I had a Schionning, I would at least paint her pink.

Make a statement, show your true colours.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 19:58   #27

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

This is certainly a fun way to be greeted here. FIVE Thank You notes in my mailbox, including the last one which says --> “ Thanks UNCIVILIZED. For being uncivilized you are very polite. ;-)" plus the above “welcome”.

There’s an awful lot of putting words into my mouth going on here. Ditto on attributing ideas to me which I have no party to. Both of which are about as legitimate as were the Salem witch trials.
Isn’t being tried in absentia, based on incomplete, & inconclusive evidence what those posting here have just convicted me of?

Yet somehow in this brave new world, I am not allowed to choose what gear or boats I prefer based on what I perceive to be quality products?
I’ve never been a fan of the thought police, & never will. So please put the torches & pitchforks down.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
There was a time, I think it was yesterday or maybe two days ago, when monohull sailors posted derogatory comments about catamarans. Now we have elitists like UNCIVILIZED posting comments about true sailors and how others are not.

What a sad commentary on how people judge others.

I have mentioned my particular need for a condomaran previously. But I guess for those like UNCIVILIZED AND OTHERS LIKE HIM, the sly comments will continue.

I would love to have a Chris White Atlantic. But its just not possible, given life's circumstances. If I get the chance to purchase a boat, it will be something the elitists disapprove of. And I do know how much I will enjoy being on the water with the sails set juuuuust right.

The best revenge is living well.

Every time you glance over at your 12" chartplotter and make a slight course correction via your autopilot, give a smile and a nod to the poor xxxxx who thinks real sailors use only sextants to get their positions and hand steering is the only way to do it and showers are for after you pull in to port.

Things have certainly changed for the better for "real sailors" in the last century or so.

LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:02   #29

Quote:

For argument's sake, 440's might be "asking" $500K but you'll buy one for mid 400's....So that's the basis for my price comparison.

Is this the BRAND NEW price? If so, then yeah, that's bloody good value.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 17:34   #30
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

When buying a kit boat, or simply a design, you can spend as little or as much as you like building/finishing it. All the choices are yours and, therefore, the price range for a completed boat is large. ROAM was a home build and, if you pay attention to their videos, they've not finished her to the standard of a production build. ROAM would be significantly under the $1m AUD mark as you see her on the water now. If Mick was reading this thread I reckon he'd be very smug right now. When you consider that an Outremer 45 landed in Australia is a million dollar boat it adds some perspective. A Helia Evo landed in Australia is even more than the Outremer. For what it's worth, I'd much rather have the Spirited 480 even if I'd configure mine differently to Mick.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote