Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 12:36   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
That film clip was shot while I was asleep as we were getting near Aden, Yemen.
Dave

I am gathering the finances for a long trip, and having owned my last cat for 21 years, it obviously has to be another.

I had my views on three contenders in the 39 ft range but have recently added in the Privilege purely on the basis of a photo. I would dearly like to know how your boat compares to similar sized cats.
Old 04-06-2008, 13:41   #17

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Dave

I am gathering the finances for a long trip, and having owned my last cat for 21 years, it obviously has to be another.

I had my views on three contenders in the 39 ft range but have recently added in the Privilege purely on the basis of a photo. I would dearly like to know how your boat compares to similar sized cats.
Talbot... The Brit parents of an acquaintance of mine circumnavigated s Priv 39. I'll see if I can get their contact details for you.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 14:17   #18

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Depending upon what type of mattress you have a decent pounding shouldnt be cause for concern.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 17:25   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Great video. I really like the Pirate strategy of sailing with a mono as protection.

Mono Driver - "I sure hope we can outrun these pirates."
Dave - "Hey - I just have to outrun you."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 17:53   #20

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Dave

When we decided to get a catamaran, I chartered the prospective cats for a week so I could compare what it would be like to have a family of four on board, to do the anchor drills, to see whether it pounded, to see how it sailed to windward, to see how easy it was to singlehand, and to answer a thousand other questions.

I would do the same thing if I was going to purchase another cat. I would charter it for a week so that I really knew what I was getting. With a week long charter I got to know the systems well, and I understood the compromises that I would be making.

My biggest compromise on the Privilege was the engine compartment. Access to work on the engines was from the cockpit, and that was fine. But working on the front of the engine was difficult because I am over six feet tall, and I had to drape myself over the engine to work on items found on the front of the engine or to change out the bilge pump that was located in front of the engine. By the time I was done with my week long charter, I understood what I was getting into, and I was willing to deal with those compromises.

When you think you have a design that you like, charter a sister ship for a week, and you will quickly understand whether you want that particular model of catamaran.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 18:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Sorry I am late to the party. It's been a little busy around here just lately. Hey great vids by the way Dave.
Glad that you enjoyed the videos. My son, David is the cameraman, editor, voiceover person, music composer, music performer, and animator. He deserves all the credit for the five minute video segments.

This weekend David is flying out to Phoenix with Sarah his wife, and they are bringing the completed DVD - Red Sea Chronicles - for a final review before they get it duplicated for distribution. He told me that he finished up with an hour and twenty minutes of Red Sea adventures plus at least four special features, and one song - "The Red Sea Blues". I am really looking forward to seeing what David and Sarah came up with. I think it's going to be good.
Old 04-06-2008, 18:07   #22

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hey Dave
So, I have to ask. What are you doing in Phoenix? Not much sailing there and hotter than blue blazes! My parents and brother live there.

I've really enjoyed your website -- especially the film clips.

Thanks for sharing them!

Iris
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 18:09   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Glad that you enjoyed the videos. My son, David is the cameraman, editor, voiceover person, music composer, music performer, and animator. He deserves all the credit for the five minute video segments.

This weekend David is flying out to Phoenix with Sarah his wife, and they are bringing the completed DVD - Red Sea Chronicles - for a final review before they get it duplicated for distribution. He told me that he finished up with an hour and twenty minutes of Red Sea adventures plus at least four special features, and one song - "The Red Sea Blues". I am really looking forward to seeing what David and Sarah came up with. I think it's going to be good.
Well, if my suspicion that it was the cameraman providing the "thumping" to your berth is correct, Dave, please have David post the details here. Multihulls take a bad enough "pounding" at Cruisers Forum as it is - if this scurrilous attack isn't rebutted, then who knows what might follow?

TaoJones
Old 04-06-2008, 19:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
Hey Dave
So, I have to ask. What are you doing in Phoenix? Not much sailing there and hotter than blue blazes! My parents and brother live there.

I've really enjoyed your website -- especially the film clips.

Thanks for sharing them!

Iris
Thanks for the positive comments about our website and video clips.

I am in Phoenix earning Freedom Chips. Someone has to pay for those adventures, and nobody else in the family wants to sponsor me on another circumnavigation.

We ended up back in the USA because we had been overseas for twenty eight years, and our parents were 84,85,86, and 87 years old, and it is time for us to come back and lend a hand for a while (not forever).

Working in Phoenix is much harder than sailing offshore - even with pounding. I spent most of my adult life living in the parallel universe overseas where I could live my life pretty much as I wanted on my own terms. In the parallel universe, the usual authorities aren't interested in regulating your personal and professional life. Living in the parallel universe is a liberating experience.

I actually enjoy my work in Phoenix because I am a flying doctor with the Indian Health Service. That means I get into a twin engine turboprop once a week and fly up to Fort Apache (Whiteriver) where I treat members of the Apache tribe for eye disease. The remainder of the time, I am at Phoenix Indian Medical Center treating over twenty-three different tribes of Native Americans. About fifty percent of my patients in Phoenix are Navaho. I always thought being a flying doctor in Australia would be cool, and this is the next best thing.

I tolerate cities poorly, I am treading water, and I'm am earnestly looking forward to the next adventure. Exit Only is in dry dock, the Freedom chips are slowly piling up, were still healthy, and our dreams are alive and well.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-06-2008, 19:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
if this scurrilous attack isn't rebutted, then who knows what might follow?

TaoJones
For the record:

1. I seriously pounded in a storm three hundred miles north of New Zealand sailing to New Caledonia.

2. I seriously pounded in horrible seas and headwinds in the Gulf of Suez 100 miles south of the Suez Canal entrance.

That makes up less than 1% of our circumnavigation.

For the record:

We sailed downwind in the tradewinds most of the way around the world and we had no problem with pounding in the trades. It was pure joy - no bruising cruising.

After more than 33,000 miles of offshore sailing, we had zero structural problems with our catamaran. Exit Only kept us safe while other yachts experienced a demolotion derby in the same conditions.

If I do another circumnavigation, it will be on a catamaran.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:07   #26

Quote:
When we decided to get a catamaran, I chartered the prospective cats for a week so I could compare what it would be like to have a family of four on board.
My ability to do that is seriously limited by family commitments (If I want to see any of my family at the moment I have to go international), and opportunity, but in any case, I like to do serious research into the object of choice prior to an empirical test. I am particularly interested in windward, bad weather (again particylarly to windward) and light air performance, because from my own experience thse are the zones that have the greatest difference between boats. Furthermore, I could not possibly encapsulate the experience you have with your fine vessel in a quick one week charter.
This also overcomes the problem that most charter cats have badly set-up rigging and seriously baggy sails.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:21   #27
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
My ability to do that is seriously limited by family commitments (If I want to see any of my family at the moment I have to go international
Hey Mark... are you asking for volunteers to try out a new cat??

count me in
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Hey Mark... are you asking for volunteers to try out a new cat??

count me in
You never know - but I dont think there are many Privilege 39s left in charter!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:54   #29

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Talbot,
I'm not so far away if you want to try out a french type charter cat, albeit only a 35 footer.

Drop me a message if you feel like..

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Talbot,
I'm not so far away if you want to try out a french type charter cat, albeit only a 35 footer.
That is a very kind offer. I am really missing my sailing, but it would be under false pretenses. I have looked very carefully at the FP range and although I like the designs, I have concerns about their ability to sustain 5-10 years continual use of one that was not new to begin with.