Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2018, 22:32   #16

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Opinion on my ad selling Lagoon 400

Thanks Mark, the Admiral said I need photo's in the sun however there is no sun here in Melbourne its just flaming freezing. So need to get out in the coming spring take some sunny picture and rejig the presentation, appreciate the advice.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 05:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
If you can, get photos with people in them enjoying your boat.
This is good advice, but you have to be extremely careful about the pictures that you choose to use. The picture still needs to be mostly about the boat, not about the people. I see a picture of some woman in a skimpy bikini sitting in the cockpit -- where all you can see is the woman, and almost nothing of the boat -- and my first thought is, "if you aren't selling her with the boat then why are you showing me this!?!" If it's not included in the sale, then it should not be the main focus of the picture -- that goes for objects as well as for people.

I think that people who are seriously shopping for a boat are already sold on the lifestyle. You don't have to sell them on that. Honestly, the lifestyle kind of sells itself. What you have to do is sell them YOUR BOAT.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:52   #18

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

White lettering on black background is very hard on the readers eyes; so most people will stop reading after 3-4 paragraphs. And honestly black? You think that is going to give the impression of fun on the water. I think not.
Suggest too, getting someone with skills in the finer art of grammar to make the text more meaningful and logical.
I mean these points in the friendliest way. You asked, so just my opinion.
Don't forget to list it on trademe.co.nz.
Make it crystal clear what currency.
Old 27-08-2018, 09:32   #19

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Looks good. If it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd try to set the photos so that they can be scrolled through by clicking left/right, if possible. A lot easier than clicking in, and then clicking out, for each photo.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 09:53   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Well I am offering my 2010 Lagoon 400 to the market. I am not going to use a Broker I am going to handle it myself cant be that hard, I am engaging a Lawyer a marine man, he will provide me with the paperwork and I will use his trust fund for deposits etc. (that's if there is one) this is his advice so far cost about A$3K. So I have just finished an ad using one of my busines's web site that I use from time to time its a simple enough task, I'd be interested in my fellow sailors on what they think of going alone without a broker, here is the link https://roadworthytyres.com.au/lagoon-400-for-sale it does look a bit odd I must say, I will list on a mainstream site as well but I thought this would be worth a try. All comments welcome you wont hurt my feelings.
An excellent write-up. Your problem without a broker may be exposure?
Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 10:03   #21

Thanks grantmc, you know this dry run is the best thing I have done the feedback is great, I had never heard of trademe.com.nz and I will place the ad there once I rejig the advert taking on board all the input including grammar. Now no one has mentioned price this I think is a local question inc New Zealand simply because there are too many complications on a non local craft such as exchange rates, tax, duties etc, I have arrived at an ask of A$469K simply by checking everything on the market here in Australia, well there is non that I know of (lagoon 400) for sale so my ask is just a rough guess as to fair market value, of course at the end of the day the market will tell me what its worth, so what is a fair ask folks? be brutally honest.
Old 27-08-2018, 10:05   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
White lettering on black background is very hard on the readers eyes; so most people will stop reading after 3-4 paragraphs. And honestly black? You think that is going to give the impression of fun on the water. I think not.
Suggest too, getting someone with skills in the finer art of grammar to make the text more meaningful and logical.
I mean these points in the friendliest way. You asked, so just my opinion.
Don't forget to list it on trademe.co.nz.
Make it crystal clear what currency.
I find nothing wrong with white lettering on a black background. I see ads with red lettering on black, probably composed by a pro in finer arts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 10:27   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

I agree more photos. But the pictures you have so far show nicely -- the boat looks clean and tidy.

If you are able, I would also suggest a short video walkthrough of the entire boat. Likewise, you can also just do a video pan of each cabin and link them together. Just be mindful to keep yourself out of the shots so watch out for reflections in the windows and mirrors.

I agree that I would change the description to key bullet points and also avoid the black background. The link to the tires is very confusing and distracting as well.

Good luck! She looks pretty.
Nariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 13:06   #24

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

G'day Pete, Sure, there were a couple of small mistakes to your ad. But to me the message was quite simple in layman's terms. Here is an immaculate Cat that has had plenty of love poured on her and an opportunity to buy an exceptional vessel at a fair price that is in above turnkey condition.
If I was in a financial position to purchase, I would definitely be throwing my winter woollies on and flying down to Melbourne to take a look!
But for now, I will stick with my 38y.o. monohull & just dream!!
Best of luck in your sale!
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 17:17   #25

It would be worthwhile to have pics at a slightly higher elevation (particularly the one of the starboard quarter from the bow). It’s a more attractive pic to capture that same angle but one that shows the hull and trampoline /cabin area.

Finally. Sequence your pictures in the manner you envision someone doing a walk around of the boat (exterior views from 3-4 angles, sails hoisted draws viewers, the cockpit pics followed by main cabin and berth/shower areas. Wrap up with engine, generator pics etc).

Just a few thoughts.
wyatterrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 17:28   #26

UPDATE, I received my first inquiry last night from my poverty pack web site, I won't divulge any details, however I would describe it as strong, now I did make some changes as suggested by grantmc I changed the background from black to white and a suggesting from someone to display my email address (really dumb not to do that) did this help I don't know. I am planning to book for lift out in the next few weeks for anti fouling and every thing else that needs doing, if I have more than one interested party would it be rude to invite both parties to a inspection whilst it is on the hard at the same time?
Old 30-08-2018, 03:20   #27

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

My experience from the northern hemisphere is that a potential buyer pays for the costs of the haul-out if they want to inspect the bottom of the boat. So if you are offering them the opportunity to survey the bottom of the boat at your cost - no, it is not rude to let them know that you are happy for them to inspect it while you have the boat out, but that there may be other potential buyers at the same time.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 14:15   #28

Hello everyone, we are broken hearted the love of our life is gone! You guessed it our beautiful Lagoon 400 is now sold to a lovely couple in their sixties, very experienced previous catamaran owners. So, I would like to thank all those who made suggestions to the makeup of my ad. By way of feedback to those who may choose to handle their own sale as I have and avoid the eight percent fee I was quoted by brokers. I never got around to loading the finished ad on one of the main stream web sites as it sold quite quickly. I had three inquiries from folk who just stumbled on my ad as you would expect as I used one of my tyres (spelt tire in the USA} web sites simply to run a test on the presentation of my ad past all you fine folk for input. So how did it all go, one of the three who contacted me joined us for a thorough look over followed by a test sail a few days later, the antifouling and polishing was booked for this week all that will be finished in a few days, all four engines have now been serviced, outboard, mains, and genset, other small items that required attention have been dealt with, so I was able to present the craft with all expensive jobs done. It is important to have accurate documented history for the purchaser to check such as the well known problem with the Lagoon 400 water tank shelf issue, my one was completely replaced it is now better than new and paid for by Lagoon under warranty, I had photo’s before and after which my client quite rightly spent a lot of time studying, as well as all the numerous documentation of upgrades and proof of ownership etc. Timing was fortunate as my client was able to thoroughly inspect the craft on the hard and inspect the antifouling process and meet the trades people on site that I employed. Asking price is arguably the hardest thing to arrive at, does one ask a high price knowing a low offer will likely be offered and factor that in to the ask? Or just research every other offer on the net and adjust the ask to the average allowing for extras fitted, age, hours, condition etc. Well that’s what I did but I kept my ask somewhat lower but firm. So, folks whilst its wont suit everyone you don’t necessarily need a broker to sell your boat.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400