Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 07:53   #1

Lightwave 38 payload capacity?

Family of four. Long term cruising plans. The Lightwave 38 has a designed payload of 1,500kg. Which seems unrealistically low to me.

If I loaded it up with 3,000kg of sails, dinghy, outboard, people, clothing & personal items, provisions, appliances, solar, AGM batteries, inverter/charger, cutlery, dishes, pots & pans, bedding, cushions, water, fuel, generator, water-maker, air-conditioning, washer/dryer, and whatever I'm forgetting, I'd be about 24% over it's designed waterline.

I assume doing that on a pretty much permanent basis is basically going to ruin the whole point of the boat?

I'm not concerned with racing. I just want to motor as little as possible, so light wind performance is the main motivation behind looking at some of these more performance oriented cruisers.

Does 3000kg seem like a fair target for a family of four for the basics plus generator, air-con and a washer/dryer? That seems like a generous number to me, but I don't really have any experience knowing for sure.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:15   #2

Re: Lightwave 38 payload capacity?

Please ignore. I swear I did a couple searches before posting this, but I just found this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-169693.html.

I think that addresses my concerns. Apologies for the noise.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:24   #3

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Lightwave 38 payload capacity?

We all do it, find the thread in Google search we've not found otherwise.

If you have the self tacking blade jib, its a bit underpowered. Suggest you might need a screecher for light to moderate conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa