Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 03:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: non-charter sailing Catamaran builders

I consider you really want to short list your desired criteria; eg size, price and the specifications for liveaboard cruising, eg, centreboards/fixed keels, helm position (Aft, bulkhead, flybridge etc), engine choices (hp & make), fuel/water capacity, galley location (up or down), dinghy storage, wet & dry storage, heads arrangements, berth arrangements (in-line, transverse, island etc), load capacity, anchoring arrangement, windage (frequently overlooked), cockpit protection and cockpit seating (whether to avoid crved seating etc), ventilation, access to/from dinghy, whether air conditioning/generator are critical, ability to add solar, the often overlooked sailing ability, etc etc .........
Being blunt, identify your budget, add 20% for negotiation reduction and see what is available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnguy32 View Post
wondering if someone can help me out...i was researching liveaboard catamarans and i read an ad that described a sailing catamaran company that only builds catamarans for owners and liveaboard clients...so they do not build for charter companies and i for the life of me can not remember that company name that builds these cats...does anyone know of catamaran companies that only build owner and live aboard catamarans. thanks for all your time and help
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 18:37   #17

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

Manufacturers of catamarans who sell to charter companies( eg the Beneteau group/Lagoon , Leopard, ...) usually offer an owner version which typically feature a large owners cabin ( or owner's whole hull) and a smaller total number of cabin than the charter version.
Some of these cats are by no means condomarans.

On the other hand, the experience accumulated by such manufacturers,the volume of production, the demands of charter companies for fool proof boats, for cool and well ventilated acommodations, for ease of maintenance, the feed back from a large base of customers has enabled them to improve their boats considerably.
Manufacturers of ''catamarans for private owners'' rarely have this experience.

A LAGOON 380 for example, of which more than 600 ave been produced, has been constantly improved and I found the owner version far more confortable, cool, maintainable, safe to maneuver etc..... than my PRIVILEGE 435 for all its superb joinery costing 3 times more;

This can only be appreciated after months of sailing with these cats
Old 07-12-2016, 03:03   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post
Manufacturers of catamarans who sell to charter companies( eg the Beneteau group/Lagoon , Leopard, ...) usually offer an owner version which typically feature a large owners cabin ( or owner's whole hull) and a smaller total number of cabin than the charter version.
Some of these cats are by no means condomarans.

On the other hand, the experience accumulated by such manufacturers,the volume of production, the demands of charter companies for fool proof boats, for cool and well ventilated acommodations, for ease of maintenance, the feed back from a large base of customers has enabled them to improve their boats considerably.
Manufacturers of ''catamarans for private owners'' rarely have this experience.

A LAGOON 380 for example, of which more than 600 ave been produced, has been constantly improved and I found the owner version far more confortable, cool, maintainable, safe to maneuver etc..... than my PRIVILEGE 435 for all its superb joinery costing 3 times more;

This can only be appreciated after months of sailing with these cats
That is a consideration, the big volume models have had many units and years over which to refine their designs.

I read a good statement from the owner of the Catamaran Company regarding production vs custom build. His bottom line opinion: with a custom build expect custom problems and custom expenses.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:22   #19

So for mass produced expect mass problems and mass expenses?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So for mass produced expect mass problems and mass expenses?
Exactly. 😁

I assume in building your boat you encountered some one off problems and related expenses?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:28   #21
Marine Service Provider

AQUINUS - custom boat building since 1978
szkutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:56   #22

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 15m

Custom builders cater to the NEEDS of the individual, NOT the charter operator. As such with a quality builder you get what YOU want, not what the mass production industry demands. (volume / grotesque performance)
Galawa has it wrong. those who charter for 2 weeks are not the best equipped to feedback real issues with a boat. So, production companies catering to this market sector are driven by cost, cost and cost.

Talk to a genuine custom builder, he knows how to deliver a specific solution. however, be warned - do not decide on your builder based upon what has gone before, as you do not know what that build criteria was, that he was delivering to.
Indeed make your decision based upon how well you get on with the builder, how he listens to your needs and wants, and how he relates this back into the practical world of sailing.
I'd recommend Freotech Multihulls in Western Australia. An accomplished sailor, capable of delivering high end quality, at a reasonable price. browse the internal tour of his latest launching.. ....Freotech Multihulls | Virtual tour created by Balm Commercial Photography

confession........I am he happy to talk
Wils4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49   #23

Commercial posts I think belong in a different place on CF.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:59   #24

There are endless options out there for catamarans...if you are asking the question like this you probably are not that experienced (like me!). My suggestion is think simple, go small with a tried and true manufacturer that has lots out there. Like in the auto industry, volume actually helps quality levels not hinder it. There is a feedback loop where stuff gets corrected and updated in the manufacturing process...plus parts and service is more readily available. They make owners versions with all the amenities of the boats costing double and triple, but won't turn heads at an anchorage...which is sort of what you want. Cut your teeth on something common and more to the simple side, meet a ton of people with all the different types of boats out there and then learn what you like and don't like. After a few years, you'll believe yourself to be an old pro and know what the ideal boat for you will be...the first boat is rarely "the boat". (at least this is what I am doing)
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:50   #25

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Aliby
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 02:59   #26

Knysna build beautiful boutique cats for owners!
avanzyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:47   #27

I too am partial to big cats for cruising. My web page has about 25 links pertaining to catamarans Catamarans - Adventures on Boats and about another 50 about buying a boat Buying a Boat - Adventures on Boats. These links are a compilation of my research, not my opinion. Hope they help.
-johnny
johnny AoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 14:51   #28

Boat: wanting a cat

Those are great links! Thanks...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 16:20   #29

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

You might be thinking of Anteres Catamarans. I haven't seen that manufacture listed here yet.

However, the only catamaran manufacture that I know builds specifically for a charter company is Roberts and Caine. They build the catamarans for the Mooring and SunSail. They also build Leopard Catamarans.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 17:00   #30

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

FreeFlow Catamarans build blue water live aboard cats that are specifically designed and built to purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
builder, catamaran, charter, sail, sailing