Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 17:06   #31

Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Well then what is fully equipped? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Quote--

Starting at $659,000 USD, $800k well equipped.

Currently available for December 2022 delivery
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 18:10   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't get that...seriously...starting at $659K...$800K fully equipped ??
That's $141,000 for stuff you still need to " add" to the boat after you've just paid $659,000 for it ?? What the hell, what did you just buy for your $695K, an empty shell ?
What the hell costs $141,000 in add-ons ??
Does the $659K include anything ??....
So you still have to buy the sails....electronics...a/c's....stove...lights...engines....anchors, running rigging....seriously....$141,000 buys a lot of stuff...a lot of stuff...

Like buying a car for $50,000 but still have the add the tires....engine...steering wheel....etc..
Pinstriping is an extra $1,000......fully equipped !! Can't have your new car without pinstriping.
Corrosion proofing....ha ha..yes, another $1,000....spray some goop under the car...
Custom rims....can't drive around town without your custom rims....another $2,000
Gotta have a custom paint job, some sparkling specs in the paint....yep...gotta have that...
Oh,almost forgot....your custom steering wheel sheepskin cover..
Yep, your $50K car is $100K "out the door"

Sheesh, you can get a good used 45 footer for $141,000.

Nah, think I'll pass.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 19:42   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I don't get that...seriously...starting at $659K...$800K fully equipped ??

That's $141,000 for stuff you still need to " add" to the boat after you've just paid $659,000 for it ?? What the hell, what did you just buy for your $695K, an empty shell ?

What the hell costs $141,000 in add-ons ??

Does the $659K include anything ??....

So you still have to buy the sails....electronics...a/c's....stove...lights...engines....anchors, running rigging....seriously....$141,000 buys a lot of stuff...a lot of stuff...

Like buying a car for $50,000 but still have the add the tires....engine...steering wheel....etc..

Pinstriping is an extra $1,000......fully equipped !! Can't have your new car without pinstriping.

Corrosion proofing....ha ha..yes, another $1,000....spray some goop under the car...

Custom rims....can't drive around town without your custom rims....another $2,000

Gotta have a custom paint job, some sparkling specs in the paint....yep...gotta have that...

Oh,almost forgot....your custom steering wheel sheepskin cover..

Yep, your $50K car is $100K "out the door"

Sheesh, you can get a good used 45 footer for $141,000.

Nah, think I'll pass.

Maybe contact Seawind and inquire on what comes with and what is extra?
Maybe the extras includes shipping from Vietnam to the US which I would guess would be $40k plus?
I very much doubt it includes AC’s which could run $15- 20k?
Pretty sure it comes with sails, motors and running rigging but an upgrade to all carbon sails? How about higher HP motors?
May come with basic electronics but upgrade the electronics and ad radar?
Maybe the extra $’s include upgraded solar and lithium batteries? The Ruby Rose edition will have 2000 watts of solar and a huge lithium bank.
So many unknowns
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:36   #34

Boat: Looking now!

That's pretty standard for pricing for a new cat from the manufacturers.
I've gotten some pricing sheets for 4 or so production cat manufacturers and they all charge enormous amounts for "complete" boats. Looking at the prices, they usually charge 1.8 to 2 times the list price to have everything installed by them. Think $24k USD for an Onan, $35k for a/c, $6k for soft Bimini, $10k for salon table, $7k for blinds, $7k for cushions.
Definitely put me off buying new.
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:42   #35

Boat: Boatless but working on it

2 x the list price is highly unlikely. In the case of Seawind a new boat comes with the basic equipment that is needed for coastal cruising including working sails, running and standing rigging, electronics(incl. gps, speed/depth, wind and vhf), AGM battery banks, stock engines, water/bilge pumps, minimal solar panels etc etc.
This make a lot of sense as boats are purchased for different uses from the odd day sail to charter to live aboard circumnavigation. There’s no reason for a weekender to be made to pay for a fully loaded boat. Generators, water makers, upgraded/added electronics and sails. Lithium batteries and upgraded solar are all available but not wanted by every new buyer.
The boats and options have been well considered to give every individual buyer what they want.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:52   #36

Reading from the options list

- Rainman watermaker 5K
- Fisher Panda 8000i 19K
- washing machine (4kg) 1.5K

Seems reasonable to me. It's a nice cat (and I've never been a cat man). I like the layout of the cabins forward and the overall look and design.

A reservation I have is cold storage options for a long term live-a-board in a hot climate. Hard to know where you could put an additional fridge or freezer.

BTW - They have had 16 orders since launch. Not bad going.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:20   #37

Can someone explain to me how a 46’ cat can have the same displacement as my Valiant 40?

I bought cats were supposed to be light?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
A reservation I have is cold storage options for a long term live-a-board in a hot climate. Hard to know where you could put an additional fridge or freezer.

BTW - They have had 16 orders since launch. Not bad going.
If I understood correctly it's possible to put a cockpit freezer under the seats at the wheels.
And in the old models you could put one under the satee in the salon.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:05   #39
Marine Service Provider

I guess if you have $800K to plunk down on a boat, money is not going to be your biggest problem...

Interestingly, here in Florida, one sees a lot of "expensive" boats, outfitted to the max, usually by some retired dude wanting to "see the world", but first time offshore, wife will say" it's me or the boat"....and yet another boat will hit the brokerage market.

I see a lot of South African cats come here, folks buy them in SA, sail them here, and sell them. It's a way of moving money. Or cats that come out of charter.....many of those too...if cats are your thing, there is a large selection available, at least around here.

Bottom line, if you have that kind of jack, or even half that number, you can pretty much buy any type of " used" boat you'd want or desired. It will be in "as new" condition and equipped to the max.

But, I get it, for some people "new" is the only way to go...without those people, we'd never have any " used" yachts to pick over. So, I guess I owe a big thank you to the rich folk.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:35   #40

I think if this had the versa helm of the Balance 442 it would be the perfect boat. I like the layout and aesthetics better on the Seawind, but don’t love the idea of looking through the galley while sailing the boat or bringing it into a tight marina.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:19   #41

Boat: Looking now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

Interestingly, here in Florida, one sees a lot of "expensive" boats, outfitted to the max, usually by some retired dude wanting to "see the world", but first time offshore, wife will say" it's me or the boat"....and yet another boat will hit the brokerage market.
Lol, I think I've seen you post this before. I've noted it as a caution for me to absolutely have my wife on board with me during "training, workups, and pre-deployment" as we progress cautiously into liveaboard life.
Quote:
But, I get it, for some people "new" is the only way to go...without those people, we'd never have any " used" yachts to pick over. So, I guess I owe a big thank you to the rich folk.
I think if I planned to keep working, I wouldn't mind the expense of brand new, but I doubt I would do it even then. I've never bought a new car, or house, or really much of anything over the $15k mark. Instant depreciation is just too much for me
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:39   #42
Marine Service Provider

yah, people forget that there is " dealer profit" involved in the price of a new boat..that is not part of the "value" of a boat....
like buying a new car...the second you drive it off the lot it devalues...
it doesn't really " devalue" per se, but one must subtract the " dealer profit" from a boat or car's value...on a $800K boat, I suspect that there is healthy dealer profit involved...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook1e View Post
Lol, I think I've seen you post this before. I've noted it as a caution for me to absolutely have my wife on board with me during "training, workups, and pre-deployment" as we progress cautiously into liveaboard life.

I think if I planned to keep working, I wouldn't mind the expense of brand new, but I doubt I would do it even then. I've never bought a new car, or house, or really much of anything over the $15k mark. Instant depreciation is just too much for me
Totally agree with this! That’s why the wife and I have done a bunch of sailing together in all types of conditions and boats. If you read the Leopard website, there is a story of a couple who purchased a new Leopard 45 outfitted it to the gills, and it if for sale already 2019 Model. Would be interesting to hear the change of heart, hopefully it’s not medical related.

I too find it hard not to be looking at a 1–4 year old boat that’s been made ready for blue water cruising but now needs to be sold. Taking a 20% hit on a $750k+ boat doesn’t seem pleasant.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Can someone explain to me how a 46’ cat can have the same displacement as my Valiant 40?

I bought cats were supposed to be light?
It has probably 2-3x more square footage of living space, it's really in a different league all together in size from a 40' mono. Heck even a 40' cat is in a different league size wise than a 40' mono, and the difference goes exponential as they get bigger with the bigger beam. An apt comparison would be a 65-70' monohull, which would come in quite a bit heavier. You just can't do a 1:1 comparison of a cat and a mono by waterline length, they're apples and oranges.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:23   #45

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
It has probably 2-3x more square footage of living space
I was going to post the same thing

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind