Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 08:40   #46

Thumbs down Re: New Seawind - terrible helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I think if this had the versa helm of the Balance 442 it would be the perfect boat. I like the layout and aesthetics better on the Seawind, but don’t love the idea of looking through the galley while sailing the boat or bringing it into a tight marina.
I agree 100%! AND, once darkness hits - your only option if you want any visibility is to shut down all the lights in the cabin. And even then... The advantages of sitting up even a few feet higher can’t be understated especially picking your way through the shallows or keeping an eye out for floating debris. Plus, just the enjoyment of sitting up higher, not at water level. I’m not advocating for those “flybridge” helms with their ridiculous boom heights - but even the raised position of the Balance, or frankly - my favorite seat is the helm on the Leopard we’ve been on. Even if I had the money for new... those helms are a deal killer for me on an otherwise great boat. And lastly - twin helms are so unnecessary compared to the raised single helm. Added complexity, cost, and wasted space.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:45   #47

Re: New Seawind - terrible helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I agree 100%! AND, once darkness hits - your only option if you want any visibility is to shut down all the lights in the cabin.

We looked at Seawinds and I never once thought about this nor was it brought to our attention... at all. We didn't end up with one but I feel feel that was a huge bullet dodged.

We did love the idea of having the doors into the saloon completely out of the way though.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:16   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Then there is the issue of dockage....almost always an outside slip...and always the very really danger of an un-attentive boater crashing into your wide beam.....

I've seen some marina's pull a dock piling to fit a cat into a slip, but off course, you will pay "double" dockage fees...but hell, if you are paying $800K plus for a boat, this is hardly likely to be a concern.

Here along the east coast of the USA, there is also the issue of mast clearance under the gazillions of bridges here...65' height restriction, that would put the kibosh on this boat right there with a 70' air draft, and the almost 5' draft is pretty deep for a cat.

I see the value of a cat in the charter business, but as a personal craft not so much.

I have not, off course, sailed this cat, but a lot of modern "cruising" cats are cruising winnebago's...can't tack without engine help...suck to weather...etc..etc...and to pay a lot of money for something like this is questionable to my mind.

I can buy a Ferrarri to go from A to B....but a little Honda Civic will likely do the job just as well, at 1/10th the fuel consumption...

But, different strokes for different folks.

Always fun to critique a new boat design....especially one I could never afford...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I agree 100%! AND, once darkness hits - your only option if you want any visibility is to shut down all the lights in the cabin. And even then... The advantages of sitting up even a few feet higher can’t be understated especially picking your way through the shallows or keeping an eye out for floating debris. Plus, just the enjoyment of sitting up higher, not at water level. I’m not advocating for those “flybridge” helms with their ridiculous boom heights - but even the raised position of the Balance, or frankly - my favorite seat is the helm on the Leopard we’ve been on. Even if I had the money for new... those helms are a deal killer for me on an otherwise great boat. And lastly - twin helms are so unnecessary compared to the raised single helm. Added complexity, cost, and wasted space.
Excellent points! Also imagine if you actually had crew on board and people are constantly walking in your line of sight. Ruby Rose guys did an amazing job on their reviews and I’m really surprised they missed this. I think they think it’s going to be like sailing their monohull with a better version of a dodger. The first thing we do in the tropics is ditch the dodger and keep the Bimini up, they know a hell of a lot more about sailing than me though. My hope is that they address this when they redesign the 1600 and do a single versa helm. Other than this the boat is truly beautiful and fits a niche very nicely.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:00   #50

I own a Seawind 1260 and long ago used to own a Seawind 1000 - which we sailed up the East Coast of Australia. Talk to any Seawind owner (most of whom owned monohulls or are reasonable experienced sailors) and they will all explain that the twin helms is one of the best features of the boat. Its protected from the elements - but you can also sit up on either side of the boat if you want a different perspective and you have fantastic visibility of all 4 corners of the boat. You can have the tri-fold doors all open - which is brilliant in warmer weather or when you have guests on board - but you can also fold them down if conditions demand. At night you do need to keep lights down in the main cabin - but they have some floor level red LED's which provide good night vision.

Phil C
Phil_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_c View Post
I own a Seawind 1260 and long ago used to own a Seawind 1000 - which we sailed up the East Coast of Australia. Talk to any Seawind owner (most of whom owned monohulls or are reasonable experienced sailors) and they will all explain that the twin helms is one of the best features of the boat. Its protected from the elements - but you can also sit up on either side of the boat if you want a different perspective and you have fantastic visibility of all 4 corners of the boat. You can have the tri-fold doors all open - which is brilliant in warmer weather or when you have guests on board - but you can also fold them down if conditions demand. At night you do need to keep lights down in the main cabin - but they have some floor level red LED's which provide good night vision.

Phil C
Thanks for the first hand opinion, definitely have to get some time behind the wheel to really understand if it’s something you like, love, or couldn’t deal with, it’s probably a little like the flybridge or forward cockpit debate.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Excellent points! Also imagine if you actually had crew on board and people are constantly walking in your line of sight. Ruby Rose guys did an amazing job on their reviews and I’m really surprised they missed this. I think they think it’s going to be like sailing their monohull with a better version of a dodger. The first thing we do in the tropics is ditch the dodger and keep the Bimini up, they know a hell of a lot more about sailing than me though. My hope is that they address this when they redesign the 1600 and do a single versa helm. Other than this the boat is truly beautiful and fits a niche very nicely.
I'm not at all surprised actually.
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:58   #53
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_c View Post

Phil C

We’ve owned 2 Seawind 1000’s with the same type helm position. Absolutely no problems with visibility, probably the most enjoyable helm setup as far as we are concerned.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:41   #54
Marine Service Provider

y'all are forgetting the autopilot...I got $2 here that sez, the autopilot will be steering this boat most of the time....these days you can hold an autopilot remote in your hand....you can steer the boat while sitting on the bow...

what do you do when tacking ?? where are the sheet leads on this thing ?
Most definitely need a crew to sail this boat.

the twin stations are useful for docking the boat, it would be a bear to try and dock this thing, sitting 25' from the edge of the dock..

but, I agree, trying to drive this boat thru' a rainstorm from behind a window....hmmm....I suppose one could be inside the salon and steer with the remote...

Curtains inside this boat would never work, as you would want visibility in all directions....every Tom, Dick and Harry, walking past the boat, can watch you eating dinner..and the hot tropical sun will shine right thru' those windows...

But.....I'd rather have this steering arrangement than be perched 20' up in the air as on some Leopards.

But at the end of the day, think I will pass on this...not being able to afford this, makes this an easy decision
Old 12-07-2020, 11:49   #55
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
y'all are forgetting the autopilot...I got $2 here that sez, the autopilot will be steering this boat most of the time....these days you can hold an autopilot remote in your hand....you can steer the boat while sitting on the bow...

what do you do when tacking ?? where are the sheet leads on this thing ?

Most definitely need a crew to sail this boat.

the twin stations are useful for docking the boat, it would be a bear to try and dock this thing, sitting 25' from the edge of the dock..

but, I agree, trying to drive this boat thru' a rainstorm from behind a window....hmmm....I suppose one could be inside the salon and steer with the remote...

Curtains inside this boat would never work, as you would want visibility in all directions....every Tom, Dick and Harry, walking past the boat, can watch you eating dinner..and the hot tropical sun will shine right thru' those windows...

But.....I'd rather have this steering arrangement than be perched 20' up in the air as on some Leopards.

But at the end of the day, think I will pass on this...not being able to afford this, makes this an easy decision

You must have vast experiences with this type boat........or maybe just guessing?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:55   #56
Marine Service Provider

how do you trim the main ? do you have to lean out from behind the fixed dodger to see it ??
Old 12-07-2020, 12:06   #57

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

MicHugh, both sails are on tracks. Tacking the boat is as easy as turning the wheel. The headsail is a self tacking jib sometimes also called a solent.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:09   #58

There's glass hatches in the bimini for sail eyeballin.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:11   #59
Marine Service Provider

good pointmissed that...
Old 12-07-2020, 12:14   #60

Also, Seawind is known for the more expensive tempered glass windows, hatches and portlights. No crazing down the road. I reckon the new model will continue the tradition.

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind