Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 01:08   #61

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I prefer to wipe mine with a cloth or sponge
great idea ! I will print this one out.

thanks
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 01:16   #62

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I've read this whole thread..cause 38-44 Cats are on my short list. Only question I have.

Why do a few say a 38-40' cat is not "liveaboard" material?

Many Lagoon 380's out there with people living on them. Hell for that matter, I've got a folder full of blog links of couples living on a 28+ MONOHULL.

If you can live on a 30 foot monohull, why not a 38-40 foot cat?
just depends on what you call "living".

We are a family of 4 and lived abord our Mahe 36 for 3.5 months last year in the Med. Visited the marina for two days (big solar, watermaker).
No problem to do the same for years in a decent cruising ground (Med is too cold in winter).

Some folks can't live aboard a Mahe because they need vast amounts of space / amenities / junk to feel comfortable. Like icemaker, microwave, steam cooker, dive compressor, daily hot showers with lots of water, freshwater heads, corian countertops. And all that in aircondition 24/7.
Some just need it to feel comfortable, some just want to show off.

One thing: If living aboard entails ocean crossings the problem is with load carrying capacity. A couple could cross oceans in a Mahe (and some have done it), but for 4 the boat just can't carry enough. The kids themselfs are light, but their toys / books / school material / food all ads up.
Also 45ft cat has a much smoother ride than a 35ft. But in typical downwind the 35ft is good enough for me.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 01:24   #63

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
just depends on what you call "living".

We are a family of 4 and lived abord our Mahe 36 for 3.5 months last year in the Med. Visited the marina for two days (big solar, watermaker).
No problem to do the same for years in a decent cruising ground (Med is too cold in winter).

Some folks can't live aboard a Mahe because they need vast amounts of space / amenities / junk to feel comfortable. Like icemaker, microwave, steam cooker, dive compressor, daily hot showers with lots of water, freshwater heads, corian countertops. And all that in aircondition 24/7.
Some just need it to feel comfortable, some just want to show off.

One thing: If living aboard entails ocean crossings the problem is with load carrying capacity. A couple could cross oceans in a Mahe (and some have done it), but for 4 the boat just can't carry enough. The kids themselfs are light, but their toys / books / school material / food all ads up.
Also 45ft cat has a much smoother ride than a 35ft. But in typical downwind the 35ft is good enough for me.
Fully agree
I use to liveaboard on a moody 36 for 2 years with no problems , my 38 foot cat is way bigger than the moody so sometimes feels like too much space..

I guess some people just like liviing in McMansions , hense the rise of the wedding cake cats
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 01:40   #64

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post

I guess some people just like liviing in McMansions , hense the rise of the wedding cake cats
i doubt anyone enjoys living in mcmansions. for starters artificial materials stink and cause cancer.

however, thinking again, people enjoy mcmansions even if terminally sick until prices moving up.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 02:07   #65
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I prefer to wipe mine with a cloth or sponge
I just spat some wine out. And I never waste wine...
Heg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 04:04   #66

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

lol...sponge?
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 04:38   #67

Quote:
Hell for that matter, I've got a folder full of blog links of couples living on a 28+ MONOHULL.
There is a german book "Mal sehen wie wet wir kommen".
Tells the story of a family of 3 that set out for an extended summer cruise in a Etap 21 from Germany to the Med.

Several years later they finished their circumnavigation.
All this in a small & slow 21ft monohull intended for sheltered water, that offered standing headrom only for the 3year old boy at the beginning of the trip.

Anything is possible. But honestly, after reading it I thought: Thats is exactly how not to do it.

Of course its also because the author is whining all the time, but it seems this travel was mostly hardship and not much fun.
Old 27-05-2016, 05:27   #68

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post

Anything is possible. But honestly, after reading it I thought: Thats is exactly how not to do it.

Of course its also because the author is whining all the time, but it seems this travel was mostly hardship and not much fun.
I don't think the above is a realistic comparison to my statement really.

A family of 3 in a 21' MONOHULL is not the same as the same family of three in a 38-40 catamaran.

Like stated above, it all depends on what the person defines "liveaboard" material. Me, I've lived overseas in a lot smaller and been fine. I'm a guy, I only need a place to sleep, a place to stretch out and sip my coffee on the bow..face to the breeze. The wife....another story.

Last thing, It's my belief based off 6 years of sailboat shows, reading 20-30 blogs, talking to owners..etc..etc, that a 36-44 is about the comfort zone ...for me!

It's a trade-off of expense (boat purchase, maintenance, slip fees, insurance...etc..etc) and comfort (live ability)
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:49   #69

Quote:
I don't think the above is a realistic comparison to my statement really.

A family of 3 in a 21' MONOHULL is not the same as the same family of three in a 38-40 catamaran.

Like stated above, it all depends on what the person defines "liveaboard" material. Me, I've lived overseas in a lot smaller and been fine. I'm a guy, I only need a place to sleep, a place to stretch out and sip my coffee on the bow..face to the breeze. The wife....another story.

Last thing, It's my belief based off 6 years of sailboat shows, reading 20-30 blogs, talking to owners..etc..etc, that a 36-44 is about the comfort zone ...for me!

It's a trade-off of expense (boat purchase, maintenance, slip fees, insurance...etc..etc) and comfort (live ability)
I just wanted to show that anything is possible, depending on one's needs and wants. These 21ft monohull folks were happy with their choice, and felt rasonably comfortable. At least good enough to do a circumnavigation instead of the planned summer cruise.

My ideal boat fits into the 36-44ft range for sure. My wife's comfort zone is in 36-40ft, because she feels much more relaxed on a small boat that is easy to handle.
Recently there was a really cheap Lagoon 440 on the French market but she would not let me have a look at it. Too big for her comfort zone.

If it wasn't for crossing oceans I would not even look for a bigger boat.
Old 28-05-2016, 17:10   #70
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
The Lucia 40 is comparable to the Lagoon 39.
Both of these boats would be to small in weight carrying capacity for most offshore or live aboard cruisers.
Curious as to why the Lucia 40 would not be more comparable to the Lagoon 400?
Heg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 18:55   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Lucia 40: LOA 38.5ft Beam 21.75
Lagoon 39: LOA 38.5ft Beam 22.25
Lagoon 400: LOA:39.25ft Beam 23.75

The 400 is considerable longer and beamier than the Lucia and Lagoon 39
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:19   #72

Boat: Comet 41s

For the guys that are interested on the Lagoon 42, a 1700nm test by the French magazine Voile:
1700 milles en Lagoon 42 - Voile Magazine - vidéo Dailymotion
If you can read French you can buy and download the magazine on Zinio (nº 246, june 2016) to read the full test.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
For the guys that are interested on the Lagoon 42, a 1700nm test by the French magazine Voile:
1700 milles en Lagoon 42 - Voile Magazine - vidéo Dailymotion
If you can read French you can buy and download the magazine on Zinio (nº 246, june 2016) to read the full test.
I wouldn't trust a test of 1min 35s showing the crew at lunch only!
phiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 00:34   #74

Boat: Pedalo ,2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiga View Post
I think the article is more detailed than this video. There is a pdf in the wild of the Sail Magazin No.246 June 2016 issue.
PM if you want a copy it's in french or grab the zinio copy.
el31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 13:49   #75

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiga View Post
The test is not the video that is an advertise for the test on the magazine. It is not a 1m35s test but a 1700nm test. They sailed and tested the boat for many days.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon