Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 08:41   #106

Re: Multihull Weight Saving Stratagies

Most likely a loup with a seizing at the ring.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 16:49   #107

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I think it's a P-38 can opener.

Different airplane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
For years we would use a P-51 can opener, because other can openers were so heavy. Last year finally found a small, light opener.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 17:01   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post

Different airplane!!

Get the Aussie version (aka FRED). Then you can get rid of your spoon and bottle opener as well.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 17:48   #109
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Nice setup. I would steal your idea, but can't see how you managed to put 2 eye splices in that short bit?
If you mean the yellow section, that is a Spectra webbing quickdraw with a seizing (like a sewn loup). A spliced loop of some type is the most common method.
Old 05-09-2018, 18:02   #110

Light Fantastic;
Light, rot proof, multi purpose, variety of colours. Au$0.95c
https://www.bunnings.com.au/9-3l-ass...ckets_p4460349 I bought two !
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 19:24   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Get the Aussie version (aka FRED). Then you can get rid of your spoon and bottle opener as well.

Awesome! I hope my wife will go for
It?
Old 05-09-2018, 19:26   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post

Different airplane!!

P-51 is the bigger version. Yeah, I know, it’s a little heavier. [emoji20]
Old 05-09-2018, 19:53   #113

Boat: Still building

I've tried every type of flash modern can opener, looking for a 'better experience' and end up back with my trusty, crusty, and now somewhat rusty, old-fashioned twister can opener.
Mine is now at least 20 years old, and still does what I need it to do - take the lid off a can and leave the rim undamaged, not sharp and therefore safe, and it does it quickly, easily and without any pretention or fuss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	can opener.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	176873  
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 19:54   #114

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I believe I have seen a larger one, but never knew it went by P51.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
P-51 is the bigger version. Yeah, I know, it’s a little heavier. [emoji20]
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:32   #115

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Full disclosure, I've only read 1/2 the thread so far because I came up with a couple questions, so they may have already been answered.

This is an uncanny coincidence that this thread came up this morning. I was just having a conversation with another fellow sailor. It was just a light conversation about cooking on a boat. I was saying how much I love my cast iron pans and planned on bringing a couple with me when I move aboard and cruise full time. She said that was a bad idea because they are too heavy for a cat. Um, one or two pans is that big of a consideration? I know that you want to keep a cat light, but do you really need to "nickel and dime" every item? I personally know of people with dive tanks and equipment on them that weigh much more than my frying pan.

It also bought up another question in my mind. Why keep it light? I imagine that a lighter boat sails faster... but wouldn't a heavier boat give you a more stability? (i.e. not so much hobbie horsing, and getting knocked around?) I honestly don't know the answer so maybe someone could educate me on that..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:16   #116

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Full disclosure, I've only read 1/2 the thread so far because I came up with a couple questions, so they may have already been answered.

This is an uncanny coincidence that this thread came up this morning. I was just having a conversation with another fellow sailor. It was just a light conversation about cooking on a boat. I was saying how much I love my cast iron pans and planned on bringing a couple with me when I move aboard and cruise full time. She said that was a bad idea because they are too heavy for a cat. Um, one or two pans is that big of a consideration? I know that you want to keep a cat light, but do you really need to "nickel and dime" every item? I personally know of people with dive tanks and equipment on them that weigh much more than my frying pan.

It also bought up another question in my mind. Why keep it light? I imagine that a lighter boat sails faster... but wouldn't a heavier boat give you a more stability? (i.e. not so much hobbie horsing, and getting knocked around?) I honestly don't know the answer so maybe someone could educate me on that..
I mentioned either earlier in this thread or in another, that the lighter boats I've seen and been on, rock way more in swell than the heavier ones. Additionally, that that rocking quicker and more violent.

Few would go to such lengths as getting rid of their favourite cooking items, but taking care of the big stuff first makes sense. On my boat I know have an easy 80kg I can save. Most other people probably do to without throwing away their best bedding, pots, pans, etc..
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:36   #117
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I mentioned either earlier in this thread or in another, that the lighter boats I've seen and been on, rock way more in swell than the heavier ones. Additionally, that that rocking quicker and more violent.

Few would go to such lengths as getting rid of their favourite cooking items, but taking care of the big stuff first makes sense. On my boat I know have an easy 80kg I can save. Most other people probably do to without throwing away their best bedding, pots, pans, etc..
I've been on many boats, some with a quick motion and some not. Invariably, it is not the load, it is the design. My current 1600-pound tri slams less than my 9000-pound cat did. I've also sailed on the same boat both light and heavy (refit); light is smoother with less rocking and slamming. Heavy is a good way to slam under the bridge deck, and heavy can contribute to pitchpole and capsize.

As for capsize stability, a light boat carries less sail. The hulls do not bury in waves and the handling is better. Finally, capsize on a multihull is about multihull seamanship, not weight. Sail a beach cat until you know instinctively what to avoid.

----

It's not about specific items, such as a skillet. It's about recognizing that each pound carries a performance (not just speed) penalty and assigning a value to it. Then either act on this knowledge or don't. This is true for monohulls as well, but the penalty is typically less (not always--they too carry a large penalty up the mast). You can take the cast iron skillet. Either you palce no value on a good-handling boat or accept that the skillet carries a $20 weight penalty that can be made up some other way. That's OK too. The important thing is recognizing there is a trade off. The trade-off exists, whether or not we recognize it.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54   #118

I began some time back searching for the ideal catamaran for my purposes. That mostly solo worldwide voyaging with no actual "home base". It needs to be economical in every respect, both up front, and ongoing. I've set a 30' LOA parameter for a number of reasons including the fact that 30' / 9M is the typical cost break point where services and maintenance is concerned, as well as the desire to participate in events that have 30' as their upper end, and simply keeping things at a comfortable size to handle and to maintain.
Not looking for a condo cat.......... don't want one. As size increases, weight increases, rig size and cost increases, hardware and rigging and ground tackle all get bigger, heavier, and more expensive, larger engine(s) more fuel, etc..... It's a spiral toward infinity. For me 9M is the "sweet spot'. Except that payload is not sufficient.... and the last thing I want is an overloaded pig.
This has pushed me increasingly toward home building, as I can build light from foam sandwich, and I have determined a design I can build with hulls of greater displacement than the stock design without having to design it myself......... which is beyond my pay grade.
The best weight saving strategy out there is "build light". Built conventionally this boat with these hulls should come at around 4500 lbs empty weight or perhaps less, and give me over 8000 total weight to lwl. That's a payload of about 3500 lbs. These numbers are all a bit "loose". Built in sandwich carefully, and without a lot of "fancy work", I expect to be able to hit an empty weight of something under 3000 lbs. That extra 1500+ lbs payload will come at a considerable initial materials cost.... a few dollars a pound, but will pay dividends for the life of the boat. I currently estimate the cost penalty at about $5000, which I consider realistic. The dividends in addition to weight reduction over ply / epoxy include sound deadening and insulation. They also include having smooth interior hull sides with no stringers.... eliminating corners for crud, moisture and mildew to accumulate, making cleaning &c easier. It means that I can carry more spares and materials when traveling into remote areas, and have a more complete workshop, and be less dependent on shoreside services. Building also means that I will know the boat inside out.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:21   #119

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I wanted my wife to be happy, and also save weight, so I let her bring her VitaMix and I put on LiFePo4 cells and another solar panel.
The weight equation cancelled out, a win win !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:19   #120

Use appliances when there is surplus energy...... not after dark or when solar panels or whatever are not producing. By doing this, storage needs are reduced. For example the Vitamix mentioned above....... The rule needs to be use it ONLY when the sun is shining. Likewise a light weight appliance such as a small microwave or induction hot plate could be used at times for cooking.... when there is surplus. This saves weight of fuel carried. Make ice while the sun shines, and use it for refrigeration..... How many other ways can energy be utilized when available to save on battery storage of fuel storage???

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull