Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 18:48   #1

Multihull versus Monohull

Hey Guys
I'm brand new to the sailing world. My wife and I are making plans to by a boat and sail the world when our kids graduate from high school (about 4 years). Starting to explore boat options, learning as much as we can etc.

Wondering what your opinions/recommendations are regarding multihull and monohull boats.

We plan on sailing and diving as part of our adventure. Initially planning on the Carribean but eventually would like to go through the Panama Canal and sail the other side of the world

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Jody
jsedrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 18:56   #2

Re: Multihull versus Monohull

Jody sorry to be harsh but this topic has been done to death and usually ends in tears. Have a go at the search function.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 19:29   #3

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Jody sorry to be harsh but this topic has been done to death and usually ends in tears. Have a go at the search function.
No kidding, the can of worms was just opened again!
Old 10-10-2017, 19:30   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Round one, FIGHT!!
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 20:28   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

Have you considered trimarans?

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 20:33   #6

Maybe a dead horse for you but it's new to me. If' it's dead to you don't comment or add a link that would be helpful.
jsedrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 20:40   #7

( I maybe biased ) multi for me , space , speed , comfort .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 20:47   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedrick View Post
Maybe a dead horse for you but it's new to me. If' it's dead to you don't comment or add a link that would be helpful.
What all these guys are saying is that this subject, always one that evokes passionate and heated opinions, has been REALLY well covered on CF, and with every conceivable prejudice and bias. So, while not the link to universal wisdom that you seek, use of the search tab in the header bar above will disclose endless discussions on your very subject. There simply isn't anything new to say.

So, exert yourself a little, use the custom Google search on your question and have a good read. When you have digested what I imagine will reach a thousand or more posts, come back with more specific questions if you have them. Perhaps then you will get more enthusiastic responses.

Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 20:47   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

A quick search (magnifying glass top sb corner) for multihull vs monohull hit 20 pages of threads. An hour on google searching each will give you a good idea of the pros and cons of each and which direction you want to head.. Asking this question on any sailing forum is suspect of trolling ie inciting violence (although you appear to be innocent) but it’s too late now and people will start weighing in and giving their opinion and the bashing starts from both sides then mothers, wives and other family members are drawn into the situation and berated and most likely ends with one owner travelling across country to prove his point in a parking lot at Denny’s. Hope you can live with what you e started.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 20:53   #10

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
A quick search (magnifying glass top sb corner) for multihull vs monohull hit 20 pages of threads. An hour on google searching each will give you a good idea of the pros and cons of each and which direction you want to head.. Asking this question on any sailing forum is suspect of trolling ie inciting violence (although you appear to be innocent) but it’s too late now and people will start weighing in and giving their opinion and the bashing starts from both sides then mothers, wives and other family members are drawn into the situation and berated and most likely ends with one owner travelling across country to prove his point in a parking lot at Denny’s. Hope you can live with what you e started.
Blood on your hands, Mr. Jsedrick. Blood on your hands. You should have asked what kind of a gun to carry on your boat, and which anchor while you were at it...

Seriously, though, there's SO much to find on this with some searching. The group here will gladly discuss specifics with you, but 'is a mono or a cat better', or variations thereof really does lead nowhere.

Anyway, happy boat searching. It's one of the real joys of the sport, in my view. I've spent endless hours parsing yacht listings when shopping. Good stuff.

Welcome, by the way.

TJ
Old 10-10-2017, 21:22   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Here's the ideal link that will be helpful (since you are obviously not familiar with the forum's search functions:

https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...hull&gsc.sort=
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 21:26   #12

Honestly, I would go watch every YouTube episode of “SV Delos” and “Chase the Story.” You will get a very accurate picture of the pros and cons of both boat styles. Delos is also really good about interviewing other boat owners including some cats for comparison.

My two cents... monos will always be more beautiful and are the essence of sailing. But from a lifestyle perspective, I prefer cats. They tend to also be preferred by family members dragged on board for boat life.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 21:52   #13

Quote:
Initially planning on the Carribean but eventually would like to go through the Panama Canal and sail the other side of the world
Would you mind defining eventually a bit better. Are you suggesting staying on the Caribbean during hurricane season(s) with your family?
If so, please go google "Maria, Irma and Hurricane" and possibly "Caribbean" as well in the same search.
Not saying it is unsafe to stay, just that it would require some skills on weather routing and constant attention on weather information to do so safely during hurricane season. I'm not sure you have those skills, based on your initial post on this thread.
Are you aware of that hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones, etc have seasons in areas they are common?
Just Another Sa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 22:09   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Hey Guys
I'm brand new to the sailing world. My wife and I are making plans to by a boat and sail the world when our kids graduate from high school (about 4 years). Starting to explore boat options, learning as much as we can etc.

Wondering what your opinions/recommendations are regarding multihull and monohull boats.

We plan on sailing and diving as part of our adventure. Initially planning on the Carribean but eventually would like to go through the Panama Canal and sail the other side of the world

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Jody
Welcome aboard Jody! Yes, as you can see you have hit on a battle of sorts that has recurred now and then. Be not dismayed! Your request is more than legitimate! I am one who has only owned monohulls but I am not at all somehow committed to the predilection with some kind of religious fervor. I love my monohull for all its mono-benefits, but in my heart I'd love to be jetting around in a Newick trimaran. The drawbacks for me are cost of purchase and then finding an end-tie in a marina available for it. And in my case, that kind of trimaran I admire has comparatively little room inside.. but I am used to that.. the extra 10 knots or so would sure be fun! I don't need a shower or lots of amenities, some do. Hang in there, we're not such a bad lot once you weed through some of the stuff.....

What kind of budget are you thinking of? I am guessing you may end up leaning toward a cat, and there are some nice ones out there... if you have the cash for purchase and cash flow to maintain one, and a place to keep it, they can be a stable, fast and roomy platform to travel on...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2017, 23:39   #15

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I was going to enter into the fray with something snappy like "Rum, sodomy and the lash!?" but the "new to sailing" crossed my eye.

Learn to sail, try them all, pick what you like. If it is just you and the wife I'd suggest a nice Cross tri for room for guests, level sailing and use all the bucks you save for exciting shore excursions.

Red, thank you for the sensible suggestion.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
hull, monohull, multihull