Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59   #76
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Monohulllers, Tell Us What You Like About Multihulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
But as soon as I hear Corian counter tops; e.g. Mooring 4300, Lagoon 470, Catana 401, Leopards - then I sense something is rotten and decadent. Or at least that thing is an inshore twin-engine beachable gin palace - not so bad, maybe, and it meets its design parameters, but it is not a true blue water proposition.
An interesting logic here, one that seems particularly male. The argument seems to be that Corian counter tops differentiate between a "gin palace," on the one hand, and a "true blue water proposition" on the other. (Argument made more persuasive by the sound of chest thumping in the background.)

Of course, we men should also make the same assertions about monohulls, should we not? Would not a monohull with Corian be, by default, a floating condominium rather than a true blue water proposition?

Yikes. The only thing "rotten and decadent" here is the reasoning.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00   #77
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Yes thanks Billy Higgins, I didn't realize that only multihulls had Corian countertops! Anyway, I think we should add to our list what you like about production cats - that they are 'murder' in gale conditions and are 'inshore twin-engine beachable gin palace(s)'.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06   #78
CLOD

Boat: none

Seems to me the thread as drifted from the orginal question, or maybe I haven't been drinking enough.

As a mono owner the only thing I like about a multi is reduced draft, and even that in my current sailing area isn't much of a plus. I guess the less heeling sounds good, until the ride gets taken into account. Yes the salon is big, but seems like a lot of open space that is wasted as how much space does it need?

Then again it doesn't really matter to me what others decide to sail or why!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:12   #79

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

Sothern Star is correct - point taken - I should have stayed on what I like about multis. I did mention that tri's really get up to windward well, and that the Wharram style boats are really fine.

My point about Corian stands, however, and it has nothing to do with macho and everything to do as a metaphor for excessive weight. Which I admitted is fine in an inshore gin palace multi, but not for an offshore boat. Multis like to be light, agile, and low windage to get the most out of them. Then they are blast to sail!
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14   #80
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thanks Don for getting us back on track - what you, as a monohulller, like about multihulls is......in the final analysis, nothing!

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26   #81
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
My point about Corian stands, however, and it has nothing to do with macho and everything to do as a metaphor for excessive weight.
1/4" Corian only weighs 2.2 lbs per square foot. Most counter tops on the boats you mentioned are going to come in between 20 and 40 pounds. Of course, what would a true blue guy care about such things? Pretty galleys are for girls, right?

Come to think of it, one of the things I must like about multihulls is that they are getting so many more women involved in cruising.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:43   #82

No corian here. I must be a real man.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Thanks Don for getting us back on track - what you, as a monohulller, like about multihulls is......in the final analysis, nothing!

Cheers!

Brad

Not really correct. In the end what I like about multis is that other people like them and go sailing, which I'm happy to see.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56   #84

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Well, ....when I"m surrounded by multi, my boat is always the nicest looking one.

Michel
siroismi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 13:12   #85

I agree with Michel, you will never take away the beautiful lines of a mono. The atmosphere they create sitting in there cockpit having happy hour instills good friends and humour.
I love my cat , but will never knock back the opportunity if invited on a mono for any reason , WHY ?
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:46   #86

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But once inside one tends to ignore such things. Especially if boarding from the stern.

I am crackin' up here.

Seriously.

That is just soooo not right..........

And so funny.
Old 06-12-2011, 18:51   #87
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
I don't take issue with your comparison of FP's, Lagoons, et al to Ikea - Ikea is rather good at meeting a pricepoint in respect of design. But quite frankly, the Seawinds are in the same camp. As you state, you definitely are biased as there is nothing particularly exceptional about Seawind joinery.

But as we're into free slagging hour, there isn't much to recommend a Seawind, FP or Lagoon when there are Gunboats, Outremers, and Privileges available.

Get over yourself - you own a production boat. Try to enjoy it without being an ******* and slagging off everyone else's boat.
Sorry Muskova I stand by what I said. I'm fully aware that the Seawind doesn't have the best finish of the production cats but it's far away from being the worst.
The Gunboats are way out of my price range. The Outremers that I can afford are all in Europe. And the Privilege is a beautiful boat but doesn't have the performance I'm looking for.
No need to get your panties in a wad. I like FP's but they are built to a price point and I find their interiors not well done. Having said that I would love an older Casamance or Fidji as they were definetly designed for performance.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:46   #88

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Well based on the benchtop ratings, where do my stainless ones come in?
Oh and best i never go in the ocean again as they are not seaworthy.
I mean sailing to fiji singlehanded from Australia lucky to live i guess.
A lot of people that payout on cats in my experience = not in budget.
I love all sailboats and whats really important in to cast off and get out there.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

To me the two big pluses are more room and more speed. The more room part is undeniable. In "real world" cruising conditions, the "more speed" part, from my observation, turns out to be largely illusory.

So, it comes down to more 3x as much space for 3x as much money. Since, I don't have 3x as much money, the space issue becomes moot.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27   #90

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
But as soon as I hear Corian counter tops; e.g. Mooring 4300, Lagoon 470, Catana 401, Leopards - then I sense something is rotten and decadent.
I don't know about the others, but the Catana 401 definitely does NOT have corian in it, unless an owner has added it (there were only 12 of them made). Same for the 431 and 471. In fact, I suspect that any Catana built before 2005 does not have corian - don't know about the newer ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote