Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 03:18   #871
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Aft-Mast Rigs

Just happen upon this forum discussion, and regrettably don't have enough time this morn to go thru what appears to be a very long subject thread.

Just to brief me, Atoll, what decision did you make in terms of re-rigging your vessel.?

Long ago Prout cats used to be displayed next to me at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show, I was influenced by the aft placement of the mast when I was working on my version of a 'mainsail-less' design.
http://www.runningtideyachts.com/archives/OrgMagArt.php

http://www.runningtideyachts.com/sail/

PS: Don't understand what is happening here, but my posting here is not exactly as I intended it to be?,....1) there is some quote mark and arrow mark symbol up by the Annapolis wording, 2) the first website reference was to take you to the archive section of my website where I posted an article that appeared in Multihulls mag back in 74-75 time frame??

Is this site making text selections on its own??
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31   #872
Marine Service Provider

Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Lets try this one again

Old 09-05-2017, 08:23   #873
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Aft-Mast Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Just happen upon this forum discussion, and regrettably don't have enough time this morn to go thru what appears to be a very long subject thread.

Just to brief me, Atoll, what decision did you make in terms of re-rigging your vessel.?

Long ago Prout cats used to be displayed next to me at the Annapolis Boat Show, I was influenced by the aft placement of the mast when I was working on my version of a 'mainsail-less' design.

http://www.runningtideyachts.com/sail/

PS: Don't understand what is happening here, but my posting here is not exactly as I intended it to be?,....1) there is some quote mark and arrow mark symbol up by the Annapolis wording, 2) the first website reference was to take you to the archive section of my website where I posted an article that appeared in Multihulls mag back in 74-75 time frame??

Is this site making text selections on its own??
hi brian
"Just to brief me, Atoll, what decision did you make in terms of re-rigging your vessel.?"

i am sticking with the conventional prout 40ft aft stepped mast,but with a few slight differences,that perhaps you might comment on

firstly the mast will be rigged fractionally,using a bobstay/pole 2-3ft out from the crossbeam then with a code zero to the mast head,this will be removable in stronger winds.

the roller furling genoa will be rigged from the cross beam to the mast aproximatly 3 ft below the masthead ,giving the same size genoa as the earlier prout elites with the shorter 37ft masts.

the inner forestay stays basically the same,but terminates slightly further forward in front of the cabin windows on the bridge deck.

(this is to alleviate the leaking window problem in many prouts of this design where the stay terminates at the top of the coach roof between the two forward windows,and causes the windows to leak as the structure flexes.

the mast itself will have single spreaders ,rigging terminating to the designed chain plates on the coach roof.

for stiffness the inner forestay and forestay shrouds will terminate to chainplates on the outboard of the hull(this is instead of the standard design where the chainplates are on the side of the aft cabin top.

the backstays remain the same to the mast head,as does the mainsail to the mast head.

this rig should allow me to carry a very large light weight sail,and a slightly smaller genoa for stronger winds that are both easily managable,it will also lower the center of effort in stronger winds reducing the risk of capsize.

sorry i haven't worked up any drawn plans yet to show but here is a photo of the larger rig,fyi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4752218_20140702063610583_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	147363  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:19   #874
Marine Service Provider

Sounds like you have made some intelligent choices.

I was going to say that you should not consider moving the mast step location on that vessel. One basic problem that I feel existed with the Prouts was the very big open space of the saloon/deckhouse that existed without any adequate bulkheading, combined with the early polyester resin tabbing of the bulkheads and fixtures, created a less than optimal stiff base structure to 'anchor' the aftmast design to.

Good luck with your rebuilt, and let us know how it all works out.

(I will try to find some time to read back thru this subject thread in the future, but at the moment I'm onto some other 'projects')
Old 20-05-2017, 05:29   #875
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post

Good luck with your rebuilt, and let us know how it all works out.
BTW, here is a forum page with several postings I made a while back on the subject of Prout's rig:
Aftmast Rigs
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/a...-58#post760409

Its a rather long subject thread in which I have defended the idea for a significant number of years. Perhaps you can add to it when you get your vessel sailing
Old 22-05-2017, 17:13   #876
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

well things have been moving fast here, as my alongside berth is to be developed by the organization that i rent it from,so FAR ATOLL will be moving next weekend to THE BEACH.

as i only got 2 weeks notice all current work was put on hold whilst i sorted out the emergency tiller,got the engine running and sorted out a/c and dc power as i will be moving about 200 meters to the beach on the other side of the river,where i will have no shore power.

the move apart from being short notice is actually quite convenient,as i need to put in all the skin fittings,mount the new outdrive, fit the steering cables,clean the hulls and antifoul which is much more easily done on the beach.

the downside is THE BEACH is a small free love community, who have lots of parties and passers by want to visit and drink tea...............

i fabricated the emergency tillers using stainless and some ally tube for the tie bar and tiller,the emergency tiller only needs to go to one rudder to function,but fabricated the pair with a tie bar in case of a failure of the existing tie bar ball joints.
this system could also be used if a wind vane servo auto pilot was fitted.

photo of the steering arms,will post some more photos when we move of the whole system
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	148227  
Old 22-05-2017, 17:22   #877

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

You have a great attitude about the unexpected move. Good for you. Emergency tiller looks clever too.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 17:39   #878
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
You have a great attitude about the unexpected move. Good for you. Emergency tiller looks clever too.
i have know many of the citizens who live on the beach for many years,but so far have kept my distance, to avoid some of the local politics that you get with small communities

upside is i will either have to cycle or row to work so the health benefits will be good.......downside.... am a bit worried about all the wife swapping........but i guess i can adapt and get a wolley jumper, a pair of wellies,smoke a pipe etc
Old 02-06-2017, 04:19   #879
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

a quick update for those that are interested

life on the beach is good!

one of the benefits is the sunshine on the other side of the estuary which gets sun from dawn till dusk,unlike our previous berth which was in shadow from the adjacent buildings a lot of the time .

the motor and outdrive worked flawlessly,together with the emergency steering for the manoeuvers.

before we moored up we took the oppurtunity to offload all the plywood offcuts and surplus materials that had accumulated onboard,as well as the temporary mast and rigginng the we used for the delivery to cornwall.
freed from the weight the floating waterline came down by about 2 inches!

with A/C power being a needed ,i fitted a 100w solar panel + controler,a second 60AH engine start battery and 350W inverter.
this runs the battery drill charger,an am/fm radio for tunes,news and weather also a 240v 10w LED work light.

i also have a 2200w inverter generator it its own battery for the bigger tools when needed,this is great as it has a key start and a remote stop/start control.
this makes it easy to run , then stop for quick jobs so very economical.

i'm currently finishing up all the plumbing pipe work,fitting the taps etc
i've also fitted a gas instant hot water boiler in its own compartment,vented below the bridge deck,and exhaust chimney through the coach roof,so no possibility of gas or carbon monoxide build up when in operation.

all the through hull fittings are on order and should arrive next week.
so in a week or so i should have a fully functioning head and holding tank also galley salt water pump and all the sinks plumbed in

photos of the boiler install and the cat just starting to float as the tide comes in, on unfortunatly one of the first rainy days we have had in the last 2 weeks so apologise for picture quality,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	148976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0049.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	148977  

Old 02-06-2017, 08:23   #880

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Sounds as though good progress is continuing on the sunny side of the estuary. The on demand water heater in its own vented compartment is a neat solution.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:59   #881
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Sounds as though good progress is continuing on the sunny side of the estuary. The on demand water heater in its own vented compartment is a neat solution.
i'm hoping it will save water as well,unlike a calorifier where the water has to run for a bit before the hot water arrives.

also the burner control allows you to set the water temperature so no mixing of hot and cold water at the tap for an even temperature when showering

photo of the beach at low tide,with the sun shining
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0050.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	149020  
Old 02-06-2017, 15:15   #882

Quote: "am a bit worried about all the wife swapping........but i guess i can adapt and get a wolley jumper, a pair of wellies,smoke a pipe etc"

Forget all the technical stuff, tell us about the "free love" and "wife swapping" on the sunny side !
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 23:55   #883
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
Quote: "am a bit worried about all the wife swapping........but i guess i can adapt and get a wolley jumper, a pair of wellies,smoke a pipe etc"

Forget all the technical stuff, tell us about the "free love" and "wife swapping" on the sunny side !
that would require an in depth dissertation on the morals of wooden and gaff rig boat sailors...........

i did however meet a young lady walking down the beach with a case of beer the other evening,and enquired "Having a party?",she smiled and said "no,just a normal evening on the beach"
Old 03-06-2017, 01:51   #884

Boat: Still building

Your wife, right...????
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:00   #885
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Hola A.

I will be interested to hear your experience with the drive and engines when you use in seriousness. The idea of the leg is a good one and yet I seem to have heard only of the costs involved to fix and keep running... but then a lot of things are said about catamarans that are not true...

Love the work you have done. A credit to your skills and tenacity...

g
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, paracelle