Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 15:35   #31

Re: Modernising a Horstman Trimaran

Natew, where are you located?
Capt Brown, no cruising multihull will point quite a high as a well designed mono. That said, I have never cared, as I am sailing along with a beer on the table (of course with no fiddles) while they are crawling along the sides, hanging on for dear life...and can NOT be comfortable. (not to sound smug...oh, I admit it!) My boats have all been able to pinch up to around 35 degrees but I keep it at about 40 as I use otto and don't want to lose drive if there's a slight wind shift. The focus on how high one can point is a waste of time (IMHO). I spent 3 years chasing downwind and loved it, never cared that the racing monos could point a few degrees higher (see above).
Happy sailing!
Thom
thomwessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 15:38   #32

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

Hi Doc, i'm in channel islands harbor in southern california.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 15:52   #33

I'll try to stop in to say hi. I work out of Pt. Hueneme on the Self Defense Test Ship when they go offshore. Next u/w should be around early Dec.
Hope to catch up with you and see your boat.
What is your boat's name?
Thom
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47   #34

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran

The point of the question was not to figure out how to point as high. I was wondering how we stack up when I hear comments saying our boats don't point worth squat. It doesn't sound like we should be performing that badly based on Natew and your descriptions. I don't need to point like a racer but I would like to perform like a cruiser and not be hiding from lee shores. I can hold a beer with the best of em but don't want to be holding it as I get pushed up onto the lee beach (or worse). Just wanted to get a feel for the boat from owners... There aren't a lot out there or if there are, they're hard to find. So far we have two here with our 38/9 sized TriStar. (here meaning you and Natew on CruisersForum)
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 15:11   #35

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

You guys would notice significant improvements in windward speed, leeway and maneuverability if you added the daggers. Ed wouldn't be so grumpy and the Searunner guys would stop giggling. For an example, just the float fins on Pivers made a big difference, Tristar boards are far more functional.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 15:57   #36

Doc, would love to. Send me a PM or something next time you are around.

Cavalier,

Don't doubt it would make a difference, how much I'm not entirely sure as I am perfectly fine with how the boat performs without them. Also by saying I don't have them, I don't mean I just don't have the dagger boards. I do not even have the slots built into the boat for them. So adding them for my boat is out of the question as I am sure the retrofit expense would probably exceed the value of the boat.
Old 05-11-2013, 16:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
Doc, would love to. Send me a PM or something next time you are around.

Cavalier,

Don't doubt it would make a difference, how much I'm not entirely sure as I am perfectly fine with how the boat performs without them. Also by saying I don't have them, I don't mean I just don't have the dagger boards. I do not even have the slots built into the boat for them. So adding them for my boat is out of the question as I am sure the retrofit expense would probably exceed the value of the boat.
Effective leeway prevention transforms any boat. Is a single daggercase in the main hull out of the question ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 17:23   #38

I'm a bit slow.

When I was looking at the 27'9" study plans a rough calculation on the board area showed them to be alarmingly small.
It never occurred to me that since there is no dihedral you use both boards at once ! Doh !
In going with the thread title (modernising) I think on a new build I would go asymmetric, double the size and make curved boards to give some vertical lift.
Old 05-11-2013, 19:03   #39

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

That is pretty modern Red! A conservative estimate for the stock boards would be 10% all around. You would go to windward 10% faster because the hulls are side slipping less, diagonal water flow is not what the hulls are designed for.. 10% less leeway needs no explanation, the maneuverability improvement comes from the addition of a pivot point. So on a beat, instead of making 10 miles you would make more than 11. The Nicol does alright with a Cross cruising sort of keel. We can sail to windward at the same speed as a Maine Cat 41 but make more leeway, adding a dagger and loosing some of the keel would improve both things.

It really only makes sense to add the trunks if you do the work yourself. If you're happy the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" applies! On a tristar I'd go for the ama trunks to avoid the main cabin mess.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 07:45   #40

natew, don't see your email address for a 'PM'. Would like to chat further.
Was thinking...was your TriStar owned by Courage Winter? If so, I know right where you are!
We're taking off this am for a 'pirate cruise' (guys only, the wife is glad to have me out of her hair, I'm sure).
Old 22-11-2013, 08:32   #41

Aye aye, Doc. Purchased it from them when they started building their now completed 58' cat. We also moved it from where it used to be, actually managed a cheaper location and that particular spot was well beyond our docking abilities. Enjoy the cruise.
Old 14-12-2013, 10:34   #42

A little treat for the Horstman people. Scroll to page 6
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Horstman.pdf (587.5 KB, 421 views)
Moe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 11:48   #43

Ooops, Trying to delete my last post about spam possibility, which was in error...the site is NOT allowing me to do that however,
Thom
Old 14-12-2013, 17:36   #44

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

As the thread has drifted a bit I would like to say to the OP that I have the greatest respect for Ed and his designs and would be very hesitant to change anything. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 17:43   #45

Dave, I don't mind a bit of drift, at least the focus is still Horstmans.
I understand "if it works don't fix it " but a lot of time has passed since inception and Tri design has advanced immeasurably thanks largely to the French racing scene. It would seem though that Tristars are immune to tinkerers and hot rodders bit of a shame really learning from others mistakes is a good way to go !

Tags
trimaran