Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 03:26   #1

Solaris Vs Prout

Hi All
After much reading and viewing and all kinds of advice from all kinds of people, we think we have narrowed our options down to either a Prout Snowgoose elite or a Solaris Sunstar 36. Both are similar in price and condition, although the Solaris is a bit better equipped (only slighlty though), both are a similar age (early 90's) and both seem to fit our needs and budget. Any thoughts that may help from anyone? Thanks
Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:10   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Solaris Vs Prout

The Solaris is a more modern design. It has far better bridgedeck clearance and will be a much faster boat. The Prout probably has a larger cockpit

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Sunstar,- for sure if its in good shape.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:39   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Agreed - as smj says, more modern, significantly better bridgedeck clearance ( as well as an Erik Lerouge designed tunnel that significantly reduces and softens any contact with seas) and better performance. The construction of the Solaris, while relatively heavy, is also extremely strong and durable. The interior fit and finish may be a bit below that of the Prout, but that is relatively easy and inexpensive to upgrade if desired.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48   #5

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Best to sail both and make up your own mind really. Not everyone has sailed both and your needs may differ. Fit and finish can speak about the quality of construction throughout. Heavy construction may be used in place of careful construction. Multihulls get their safety from being light enough to dance away from the waves. I like the bigger Solaris derived from the old Cherokee molds.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:34   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Cavalier, you are of course absolutely correct about sailing them both. The interior fit and finish on Solaris yachts was never poor - although in later years they did cut back from the beautiful, but heavy teak interiors of the 42 (often referred to as the Rolls Royce of catamarans in the 70's). In the final anaysis, of course, neither the Prouts nor Solaris were exactly light weights.

Not surprisingly, for extended cruising I too prefer the 'bigger Solaris derived from the old Cherokee' - the Sunstream 40 is the boat you are referring to and it is my current boat. Even though it is more dated in appearance and points a bit lower than the Sunstar 36, I love the cutter rig (as I am sure you do on your Prout), the lower freeboard, the semi-balanced rudders on partial skegs and the additional space. However, as only 14 were built by Solaris yachts, they can be difficult to find.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09   #7

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

The Cherokee's are pretty hard t get a hold of too, I still like them, worth keeping an eye out for.. I actually sail a trimaran, it is rigged as a double head sloop with a removable staysail stay and is a bit quicker than the cruising cats. More deck space but not as much room inside of course. Selecting your compromises is always the challenge of buying or building a boat!
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar