Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 08:44   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Modern cats

Now of course ive seen modern cats but i really didnt appreciate just how big they have become until i had to med moor side by side with them today at La Digue.
Im rubbing shoulders with a Catana 43. My mono isnt considered small by any means (Catalina470) and my freeboard is quite alot but next to Catana Sukha is dwarfed. In the photo the Catana is back approximately another 12feet than me which makes Sukha look even smaller but still the height of them does surprise me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170923_173731.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	156545Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170923_173112.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	156546
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:00   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Modern cats

Yes. I had the same impression docking an old 40' cat next to the newest model, also 40', from the same factory. The boats were about 30 years apart. The new one looked 50% bigger. Inflation? ;-)

Things got, errrr, puffier! ;-)

Now tell me size doesn't count.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:16   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Yep, lotta' pork. But people want floating condos, so that's the trend in terms of what gets built.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 10:01   #4

Is there any correlation between Cats suffering Dynamic Rollover in these storms and model year?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:43   #5

One would think logically that the increased windage would have effect on horizontal stability. This may be offset by wider beam and more weight, so hard to know without detailed specs on model types, they probably have to meet EU standards for stability, but I am just guessing.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:54   #6

May be buried in here somewhere
http://jsaf-anzen.jp/pdf/ISO_12217-2...F_document.pdf
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 17:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't see anything better about sailing an uncomfortable boat. Is sailing supposed to be a macho thing?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 19:50   #8

I agree, I'm all for comfort but i also think there needs to be a balance. Eg. The Catana has a full solid foredeck with big day beds, its like a huge swimming pool area or big bath tub , what are the consequenses from this if you dig the nose in? Perfect for what it does here in the Seychelles but im not sure about off shore.

The catanas before this model are some i my favorite boats I'd really like a 47 but very different from this 43.
Old 23-09-2017, 20:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
The Catana has a full solid foredeck with big day beds, its like a huge swimming pool area or big bath tub , what are the consequenses from this if you dig the nose in?
My guess would be no different than every other style of mono hull sail and motor boat and multihull motor boat. They are all designed to have and operate with solid fore decks.

The tramps on a cat where a light weight way of gaining extra usable space.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 20:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
My guess would be no different than every other style of mono hull sail and motor boat and multihull motor boat. They are all designed to have and operate with solid fore decks.

The tramps on a cat where a light weight way of gaining extra usable space.
Im not sure about that Paul. Cats from what I know have the ability to surf in a straight line alot faster than other hull types, more likely to run into the back of a wave than a trawler? Trawlers and monos obviously have their own issues that cats dont, such as broaching.

The Catana doesnt just have a solid deck it has a "dug out deck" like i said a swimming pool!
Old 23-09-2017, 20:47   #11

It's not really a Catana. It's a Bali. Bali is owned by Catana, but the Bali is their more charter oriented brand. Catana is their "performance cruiser" brand.
Old 23-09-2017, 20:57   #12

I have never seen a tramp on a Large Motor catamaran, (does not mean there is not one) but lots are designed for Ocean crossings with solid fore decks.

I agree could be an issue on a light weight racing type vessel, but a fully loaded cruising cat should be ok as long as the drainage system is designed to cope with the volume of water that may be encountered.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 22:23   #13

I have no problems living in a "condo" on the water. And being 6'8" I appreciate there being options for me to live on a boat where I don't have to stoop everywhere, just the places I'm used to stooping like doorways and stairwells. There are very few options in smaller sizes, so floating condo it is.
matt w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 22:54   #14

The vast majority of boat buyers, including long term cruisers, spend 90%+ of their time at anchor or in a marina where extra space is valuable.

The first picture demonstrates pretty clearly why people are mistaken when they compare cats and monos length for length. The bigger you go, the greater the difference.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 23:01   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

They could at least give a nod to some eye pleasing style. And try to acknowledge that aerodynamics at least exists. Of course much the same could be said about so many of the current vehicle designs... Is class dead?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote