Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2022, 07:05   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Lock Crowther Tri - Kraken 33 (Abandoned project)

Hello everybody ... close by to my summer place of my wooden Dutch zeil sloep I just found a lost tri soul.

It seems a Kraken 33, which has been abandoned by the owner.

Actually I am in contact with the owner of the storage place to see what is possible.

Just curious abt: What are the current market prices for such unique Tris in Europe / U.K. / USA / Australia, built in plywood/glass fibre ... after a restoration, fully equipped with navigation electronics, cruising sail wardrobe and little long shaft outborder ... ready to go as coastal day sailor ? Attachment 256804Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220416_141548.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	256805Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220416_141604.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	256806Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220416_141712.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	256807Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220416_141749.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	256808
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 13:28   #2

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: Lock Crowther Tri - Kraken 33 (Abandoned project)

I don't know what the potential value of such a tri is over in Europe but I would predict it is way below the cost to properly refit the Kraken.

I love Crowther tris (I had a Twiggy for 7 years) but boats like the one pictured are usually not worth saving. I looked over a more presentable Kraken a few years ago for an acquaintance and had to recommend he not buy it. In good condition it would have been worth about $20 000 and it needed replacing of much of the structure and replacement of pretty much all the rig and fittings.

Sad to see but I would put my money into something that needs far less work. Even a good boat will provide enough jobs to keep you busy.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 14:03   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

My hull is foam core. I replaced the rotten plywood, and replaced the metal fittings and standing rigging including chainplates and many more things. I have been at this for over a year and not done.

Not sure how you decide what is worth it or not. There are not exactly a lot of other boats with this performance and cost. In good working order with everything replaced it is worth closer to $10,000. I got mine for $3000 and it was in better shape than the one pictured (which should probably just be for free) This boat sails well. Show me a boat that can maintain 15-20 knots of boat speed for under $10,000 and be large enough to live aboard.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 14:07   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My Buccaneer was/is worth around $25,000 to $28,000. It was strip planked epoxy built with a new mast and rigging when I bought it. That Kraken might be a money pit.
Old 28-04-2022, 15:01   #5

Boat: EDELCAT33

Run!!! This looks like fatal attraction. Nice lines but rotten and broken beyond sensible investment.
Trimarans in the US are not popular. Most sailor’s don’t like all the compromises for meaningful live-aboard, specially the younger sailors used to confort found in conventional monohulls
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 11:03   #6

Looks rough and marginally/likely "too far gone" to me as well, but I don't think a few photos can tell the whole story. If someone is more dedicated than most, resourceful as far as used parts go, & has "yard" space to store/work on the boat free or very cheap (depending on the amount of rot/damage and quality gear/etc) - I say go for it...Would it be "easier" to build from new- most likely. But if the boat "speaks to you" where else are you going to find one? Don't do it with resale or coming out even/ahead $ wise in mind, of course. Overall the selection of decent used tris in Europe seems to be better than the usa.

The Kraken 33 (25 & 40) have certainly caught my attention in the past despite the low(ish) buoyancy amas by modern standards and minimal cabin space...

Same exact boat in better days happened to be in my bookmarks. https://www.multihull.nl/multihulls/...940.fotos.html

For more inspiration (kraken 25 day sailor)
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 13:34   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I like the Crowthers, there was an abandoned Kraken on a property down the road from me which sat there for years, I fantasized about fixing it up until one day it was gone - found out someone else had taken it (thank god), to answer your question probably about 15k - 25k for a good one.Looking at the photos you posted it'd take a lot more money than that to get that tri up to speed..
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 08:57   #8

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
Looks rough and marginally/likely "too far gone" to me as well, but I don't think a few photos can tell the whole story. If someone is more dedicated than most, resourceful as far as used parts go, & has "yard" space to store/work on the boat free or very cheap (depending on the amount of rot/damage and quality gear/etc) - I say go for it...Would it be "easier" to build from new- most likely. But if the boat "speaks to you" where else are you going to find one? Don't do it with resale or coming out even/ahead $ wise in mind, of course. Overall the selection of decent used tris in Europe seems to be better than the usa.

The Kraken 33 (25 & 40) have certainly caught my attention in the past despite the low(ish) buoyancy amas by modern standards and minimal cabin space...

Same exact boat in better days happened to be in my bookmarks. https://www.multihull.nl/multihulls/...940.fotos.html

For more inspiration (kraken 25 day sailor)
Indeed ... I have thought abt it might be the same Tri as in the archive on multihull.nl .
Took me a while to get the right phone number ... but yet I had no chance to talk to the owner. Only got the mailbox.

I agree with most of the opinions here, that this tri has as already gone too far into the direction of the scrap yard.

Another Kraken 33 is now in the market in Europe: the owner died who had also a yacht registration service company.
His Tri was around 5-6 years ago in good conditions.

She was built 30 years ago with West System method / wood core epoxy. - It's a stretched version, extended from 33 to 35 ft.

The harbour master likes to get it away taking too much space on the hard. She looks now really bad. See attachment.

The original asking price for her was 35,000 Euro. - Now she is listed for 21,000 Euro.

Will see if I find the time to visit her. It's around 80-90 km distance.Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimaran-te-koop-29.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	257833
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project