Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 22:40   #1

Voyager Ventura - Crowther built?

Hi gang, trying to find any and all information on an obscure cat breed called a Voyager Ventura - possibly built on the gold coast by Crowther? Has anyone any info on these boats? Cheers
timshel100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 23:08   #2

Boat: Oram
Re: Voyager Ventura - Crowther built?

Not sure think the original moulds came from the seawind factory, the power catamaran version was quiet popular in the charter industry, Crowther or Stanyon designed may be
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 01:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, timshel.

http://www.incatcrowther.com/make-an-enquiry

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 01:56   #4

I too seem to remember that they were a Crowther design and built as a motor sailer for the charter market. Bridgedeck clearance seems lowish.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 03:25   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Timshel100 not that obscure. I have surveyed two up here in Tin Can bay. Both were well used ex charter boats. I am not sure with those large forward facing windows you would want to take one offshore. It's very easy to flex that area with just your foot.
Both cats had their issues, the starboard cabin top on one had some rotten core. The other one had batteries under the port settee and the whole battery shelf had badly sagged into the port head cupboard.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 05:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
I too seem to remember that they were a Crowther design and built as a motor sailer for the charter market. Bridgedeck clearance seems lowish.
Yes I saw that as 44cm - that seems lower than I’d like.
Thanks so much.
Old 29-06-2021, 05:48   #7

Thanks so much. Interesting about not taking it offshore. We’d planned on relocating it from Qld to Vic
Old 29-06-2021, 05:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Timshel100 not that obscure. I have surveyed two up here in Tin Can bay. Both were well used ex charter boats. I am not sure with those large forward facing windows you would want to take one offshore. It's very easy to flex that area with just your foot.
Both cats had their issues, the starboard cabin top on one had some rotten core. The other one had batteries under the port settee and the whole battery shelf had badly sagged into the port head cupboard.
Cheers
Helpful- thanks
Old 29-06-2021, 15:13   #9

Boat: Herreshoff 36 Nereia

I delivered an ex charter fleet one from Airlie Beach to Sydney. Took 6 weeks!! Could not motor into more than 10 knots of breeze because of the slamming under the bridge deck!!!
I could have done the same trip in my Walker H28 on less than 3 weeks and not in a hurry like a delivery.
P.S. once it was put on the market in Sydney, it was marketed as "A GREAT OCEAN GOING CATAMARAN"!!! Don't you think I had a laugh over that advertisement
Paul Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Klein View Post
I delivered an ex charter fleet one from Airlie Beach to Sydney. Took 6 weeks!! Could not motor into more than 10 knots of breeze because of the slamming under the bridge deck!!!
I could have done the same trip in my Wallet H28 on less than 3 weeks and not in a hurry like a delivery.
P.S. once it was put on the market in Sydney, it was marketed as "A GREAT OCEAN GOING CATAMARAN"!!! Don't you think I had a laugh over that advertisement
Ahh - that is what I was afraid of. 44cm clearance is an issue. Thanks so much
Old 17-05-2022, 23:00   #11

I bought a voyager 36 same as you are enquiring about and sailed I from Gold Coast over the top and down to Fremantle. Yes it has low bridge clearance compared to other cats but it performed really well even on the west coast where we had head winds nearly the whole way. If you are looking at a reasonably price cruising cat then I give this design and 8 out of 10 and would have no problem in again using it a a coastal cruising cat. Don't matter what you buy you will get people with opinions , but trust me I have sailed it and still have the Boat we love it
Damn Cazual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 23:19   #12

Super helpful information Damn Caz - Thanks - happy sailing. Although we decided to head in a different direction I am glad you are happy with the cat you have. Awesome place to be.