Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 10:50   #1

Load Capacities - Privilege Cats

Does anyone know of the lightship and full load (or waterline load) for any of the models, I am looking at the 40-55 foot range as I like the 51 and have found a couple nice ones on the market.

I am looking at the galley down version with 5 cabins (so I can convert 2 to diving and storage space) but I suspect the load capacities are identical.

Peter
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:56   #2

Hi Peter, I'm looking for a Privilege as well, have been asking about husband and wife being able to handle the 59ft, do you have any views on this.

I see that you are interested in diving, thats my passion as well, I also like underwater videography and still shots.

Were are you from and when do you hope to set sail?

Regards Terry
ozdownunder@iinet.net.au
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:42   #3

Boat: A few!
Hi Peter,

Only the 585 off the top of my head -this might be good for reference. Lightship was 17.5 tonnes, but in reality was almost 20. Private boats are usually about 23-25 and I've seen charter boats over 30. Marc Lombard just recently refused to sign off a stability booklet for MCA classification because the boat was over it's capacity of 28.5

Be careful with the 51. Check around thru-hull fittings as they are famous for gaining the odd tonne as they were fitted straight though foam without placing a solid glass area that doesn't compress. Also have the rear crash box drilled and fitted with a drain tap as you might also find a ton or two in there. 90% of the 51 5 cabins were chartered pretty relentlessly for the first 5 years under the french tax dodge.
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:31   #4

Hi Terry,

I just came back from Boniare and chatted a while with a couple that sail on a 60Ft Cat. They did mention that there are some issues and none are show stoppers but add cost and weight. She could not handle the winches on her own so they replaced them with electric. They can not anchor or tie up easily in heavy wind so they had to get remote controls for the engines as they both have to be out on the fore deck at times.

They use walkie talkies to communicate when one keeps a look out as the distance makes speaking hard.

And they wish they had mounted cameras (my suggestion) in the mast head. I had always planned on installing 1 IR camera and a tilt/pan/zoom one facing front and a second one facing rear and if I can afford I will install 2 facing about 20ft our from each bow to capture the water for narrow passages.

However now that I am done my Advanced Trimix certification I am humming and hawing, my plan was always to go to a rebreather before I sail around the world but I am thinking of just sticking to air or nitrox at the most as it's too complicated to blend trimix on a cat (not sure keeping a large amount of 100% O2 appeals to me).

And if I am scrapping my rebreather idea then I need less space for dive gear, but that just means a second freezer and a second fridge + more storage space for the folding bikes and so on.

Caribcat thanks for the warning, I have heard horror stories "added weight"

Peter
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 05:27   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
peter... The 585 has electric everything so is easy to handle by two... as long as the electrics carry on working of course! That pretty much applies to any 40ft plus cat of course. My wife and I easily handle a Privilege 435 under normal cicumstances but when something goes wrong and you have to deal with things manually the forces can be pretty overwhelming.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 06:22   #6

Hi Peter,

I like the ideas that you have given, and since posting here have had some great feedback and reasuring that it is possible.

I spoke to an old mate yesterday that I had known as just a shark fisherman, he was telling me he see's no problem if your kitted out like a bow thruster and things like you have suggested, as he said its not a race, just plan ahead and have the backups in place, the hardest thing he suggests is close confinment places like marina pens with wind and current and little manovability and this comes with practice, I am use to keeping a 42 ft workboat on divers which is a feat having life lines and surface supplied air line to the divers, try this with wind, current and a set of controls that are all seperated, like a gear selector stick that has a 1 =3 sec delay for forward and revers(crunch crunch) a seperate engine rev throttle and a poorly servicable rudder, the vessel was used in world war 2 and the Aust Navy were still using them in 1982 when I got out.

Any way thanks for all your help.

Has anyone here talked about A framed mast I would like to know more about it.
Check out this link http://www.sail-the-difference.com/home/english/the_features_of_the_easy_to_use_smg_catamaran/
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege