Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-07-2012, 08:27   #1

Liveaboard / Catamaran?

I have been reading for a while and always dreamed of living on a boat. I live on the coast about 5 blocks from the beach now and plan to live mostly in a local marina and take trips in the boat that last just a few days. I do want the option to sail anywhere in the Gulf of Mexico on this sailboat though.

I have been reading and researching and am in the extremely beginning stages of planning. Currently my girlfriend (and eventual wife) and I both own a town house in the same development. I have mine paid off and have been planning to sell and buy a home on the water here for a view. After doing some cost comparisons on a ~3000ft home on a 3/4 acre property on the water (insurance/tax alone is $1k a month) vs a ~45 catamaran, I like the prospects of the Cat more and more.

Here is the plan. Sell my townhouse and take my some odd $50k savings and put $125k down with $25k to invest in rigging and upgrades and buy a boat in the 350-400k range. We will still have her townhouse for storage and shelter, but I plan to live full time on the yacht.

In the $400k range total, can I expect to get a late model catamaran with many if not all the modern conviences I would get in a 1100ft townhome. Most importantly laundry, air conditioning, and cooking. I am willing to give up some performance as I don't plan to be ocean bound in this craft. When I'm ready for that, I'll be ready for an upgrade. I do want to be able to sail to and around the Caribbean though. And what models specifically should I look for to sail alone, (I'm not really counting on my dainty woman to help with the lifting much so I want electric winch systems)

So far, the lagoon models look nice, but why the heck are there so many heads?? seems like a lot of upkeep. I would love to retrofit one with 2 baths, and 2 bedrooms, turn the front left cabin into pantry/scuba storage.
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, catamaran