Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 02:25   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Liveaboard/catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
Hey I'm in your same situation, I was looking for used Lagoon 440 that seems a good deal and have a lots of happy owner around there. Anyway the 10% of the buying cost maintenance seems really too much this is the reason cos I was asking to someone to gently post their 1 years bill for a boat like this to get a better idea.
I live in the Med I suppose you are from US
10% of buying cost = 1 years maintenance??? Someone's having a lend of you......
Old 21-08-2012, 03:04   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
10% of buying cost = 1 years maintenance??? Someone's having a lend of you......
Hey what means?
You have a lagoon 440 want to help me ? I'm going to visit one and I would like to ask few info before surveying it
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 04:15   #33

Unless you cannot do work yourself, to maintain a 440 yourself should cost no more than, slipping, antifoul every 2 years if you scrub and keep moving, breakages and that's it.

6 TO 10K.

Ask away... Frank
Old 21-08-2012, 06:10   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Unless you cannot do work yourself, to maintain a 440 yourself should cost no more than, slipping, antifoul every 2 years if you scrub and keep moving, breakages and that's it.

6 TO 10K.

Ask away... Frank
What is the expected life of a set of sails? What is the expected life of standing and running rigging? What is the expected life of the motor, transmission, shaft, and prop? What is the expected life of the head(s) and holding tank? What is the expected life of the ground tackle (assuming it is not lost due to broken lines)? What is the expected life of the rudders and system that controls them? What is the expected life of the electronics, stove, fridge, and fresh water system?

Since this is not a complete list of things that have a limited life span what other things you would add that will need to be repaired or replaced on a regular basis?

If you do not maintain a boat on a regular basis how much value will the boat lose on an annual basis?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 06:24   #35

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I suggest you take a look at a sailing blog at:
Year 5 Day 195 A Projects Day | LeuCat Adventures
Go to the beginning which is about 5 years ago and see how they managed the sale of their home and purchase of a boat via charter company. What follows is a long blog of their adventures.
I have lived aboard a couple of catamarans and early on I had the feeling that I was really getting away from the grind when I went to my boat. If you also have a land based home for storage, all the better.
Getting a small day sailer like a Hobie cat is great for recreation. Any small boat will sharpen your wits about local weather, etc. The liveaboard boat is more like a ship, though, and it is more like managing a ship than sailing a sailboat.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 06:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
What is the expected life of a set of sails? What is the expected life of standing and running rigging? What is the expected life of the motor, transmission, shaft, and prop? What is the expected life of the head(s) and holding tank? What is the expected life of the ground tackle (assuming it is not lost due to broken lines)? What is the expected life of the rudders and system that controls them? What is the expected life of the electronics, stove, fridge, and fresh water system?

Since this is not a complete list of things that have a limited life span what other things you would add that will need to be repaired or replaced on a regular basis?

If you do not maintain a boat on a regular basis how much value will the boat lose on an annual basis?
Tom i'm way to busy sitting in a beautiful anchorage albeit exposed thinking of finding a grocery store to sit on a keyboard answering such unanswerable questions of an accountants nature.

My overiding plan right now is to get my paper charts and pilots and plot out a trip from here to Turkey for wintering.

I'll certainly help anyone with advice drawn from my boating experience but your questions don't have a beginning in that:-

1 How old is the boat?
2 What is the beginning condition of the boat?
3 How often will you use the boat?
4 Are you hard on the gear?
5 What design boat?
6 What construction is the boat?
7 Do you troll often?

Cheers you made me smile.....
Old 21-08-2012, 07:04   #37

I think tomfl's questions were rhetorical, at best overhead questions designed not neccesarily to be answered but to get the prospective buyer to think of such things.

Now, because I do have the time to answer such questions, I will. The answer is, It depends.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 07:11   #38

Quote:

6 TO 10K.

Ask away... Frank
6 to 10K € per year what include ?

Insurance ? Fuel ? Docking ? Engine manteinance ?

About anti fouling do you know about coppercoat that last at least 5-6 years so you don't have to paint your boat almost every year ??

take a look here, I tought that this is the best choice if you need just to clean your hull and you don't have to repaint every year and half

How often are you motoring and how often are you sailing since you are in Mediterranean ?

Which range has lagoon 440 motoring with a full fuel tank ?

thanks
Old 21-08-2012, 08:32   #39

Maintenance is a separate issue to running costs, maintenance covers slipping, scrubbing anti-foul, gel coat repairs, seal replacements, anodes, cut and polish, sheet replacement, block repair etc. I will spend 3500 on slipping and a scrub, anode replacement and some time on hardstand doing mods, i'll do this in MARMARIS TURKEY.

Diesel consumption greatly depends on how hard you drive these boats and in what conditions we never go over 2000 RPM look at TWIXTERS excellent site it shows graphs/loadings.

I won't use coppercoat.

Sadly one thing you find with cruising to even a loose timetable is the wind is on the nose!!! Probably 50:50 would be fair.

Cheers Frank.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

Apologies if i read your intent incorrectly, i saw it as an open ended which tend to proliferate on these threads.
As Richard points out your question was rhetorical, i erred by seeing it follow on.
Cheers and Richard thanks..
Old 21-08-2012, 10:01   #41

Quote:
Maintenance is a separate issue to running costs, maintenance covers slipping, scrubbing anti-foul, gel coat repairs, seal replacements, anodes, cut and polish, sheet replacement, block repair etc. I will spend 3500 on slipping and a scrub, anode replacement and some time on hardstand doing mods, i'll do this in MARMARIS TURKEY.

Diesel consumption greatly depends on how hard you drive these boats and in what conditions we never go over 2000 RPM look at TWIXTERS excellent site it shows graphs/loadings.

I won't use coppercoat.

Sadly one thing you find with cruising to even a loose timetable is the wind is on the nose!!! Probably 50:50 would be fair.

Cheers Frank.
Ok so you are 50:50 sailing motoring in the mediterranean since you bought it, I heard people with monohulls that motoring a lot in mediterranean maybe catamaran don't need so much.
Anyway could I ask you why you will not use coppercoat? I tought that when you buy a boat like this using the coppercoat is the first thing so you will save a lot of money and time on re fouling the hull, i readed lots of user that they just clean simply the hull year by year with a sponge or while heiling with hydro cleaner

If you need help with your vessel I'm available kidding

I need to decide to make the big step, can i send the details of the lagoon 440 that I'm looking for privately with the price and everything so you will evalutate ?

thanks again sorry for my english
Old 21-08-2012, 10:26   #42

Thats all ok regarding any 440 you are looking at buying, i recently tracked mine down over a long period so it may just be that i looked at the one you are considering.... mailfrank @ mail dot com and i'll look for you.

Ok Coppercoat,
1) I have Volvo legs and would need to seal coat and maintain that coating to protect from the legs becoming sacrificial to the copper BUT it still will react with internals of leg ie water inlets..

2) I believe it prudent to haul-out and inspect at least every 18 months.

3) No antifoul looks good on the waterline after 2/3 or 4 years let alone 6 due to exhaust emissions and fats from galley drains as well as polluted waterways ie crowded marinas.

I'm in the Adriatic around Croatia MonteNegro etc there's wind but no seaway here, when i bought this boat we retired and essentially we cruise whichever way the wind blows BUT relatives visit and that puts us on a timetable to ensure we show the highlights to them.

Cheers Frank
Old 21-08-2012, 13:06   #43

Quote:
Thats all ok regarding any 440 you are looking at buying, i recently tracked mine down over a long period so it may just be that i looked at the one you are considering.... mailfrank @ mail dot com and i'll look for you.

Ok Coppercoat,
1) I have Volvo legs and would need to seal coat and maintain that coating to protect from the legs becoming sacrificial to the copper BUT it still will react with internals of leg ie water inlets..

2) I believe it prudent to haul-out and inspect at least every 18 months.

3) No antifoul looks good on the waterline after 2/3 or 4 years let alone 6 due to exhaust emissions and fats from galley drains as well as polluted waterways ie crowded marinas.

I'm in the Adriatic around Croatia MonteNegro etc there's wind but no seaway here, when i bought this boat we retired and essentially we cruise whichever way the wind blows BUT relatives visit and that puts us on a timetable to ensure we show the highlights to them.

Cheers Frank
I totally agree with your 2nd point, but using coppercoat doesn't mean that you don't have to haul-out every year-18 months just that you can save money and time reapinting, anyway i don't have experience about it, It just seems that has a lot of entiusiastics users

I just sent you an email
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56   #44

Re: Liveaboard / Catamaran?

I too live in Gulfport, MS and am plotting how to live aboard. My sailing partner will be my now-5-year-old son. Before we get to that point we have to learn to sail (I had a 48 foot liveaboard houseboat in NOLA that Katrina destroyed but have only sailed a few times), save tons of money, find a good 30-something foot cat, and find a liveaboard tolerant marina.

Did you find a marina? The Gulfport Harbor does NOT allow liveaboards. Have you found a way around this? I don't want to go all the way to Point Cadet. Long Beach is possible, but I'd prefer the amenities at Gulfport. Have you done this research?

Thanks for any research!

Neely
nwhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 15:19   #45

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Liveaboard / Catamaran?

Hi Neely, a couple quick thoughts.
I don't know the liveaboard situation in MS. I think it would be a good separate thread to start

You said that you don't have sailing experience, so I'll offer this - a 5 year old cannot be a "sailing partner" unless you are on a very, very small boat. You will have to have a boat that you can single hand.

Sneakaboard is an option, though with a 5 year old this is probably not a super-desireable option. Many marinas have something like a "three night" rule, meaning that you can stay aboard up to three nights in a row. If the marina is quiet, and you are not bothering anyone, it is sometimes possible to sneakaboard under this rule for quite a while - but if you get caught, you have to have somewhere else to go.

For liveaboard cats "30-something" starts at 39. Even the 38' models you see are nearly 39'. These are quite costly boats. You might wish to consider a smaller monohull boat - a 30-something monohull is sufficiently spacious for two people, and can be had for less than $20k in fair condition, though they lack the unique features that a cat can offer.

If you're not planning to cruise, perhaps consider a houseboat or powerboat and purchase a small sailing dinghy.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, catamaran