Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 08:40   #16

Boat: Leopard 48
Re: Leopard 45 or 50

We spent time on both at the beginning of the year. Both were the FB models not the P series. The 50 is a bigger boat and feels that way at the helm. I have a few months on board experience in the 45 range of various brands and thought it was a lot of boat relative to those. Main worry factor for me was the increased size of the mainsail and the increased boom height above the hardtop (and therefore the sea). I climbed up into the sailpack of the 50 to see what that was like. This is something you do if cars get jammed, a reefing line is fouled in the pack messing with halyards etc. You are up there, no joke, in a bobbing sea you are at least 15'+ off the ocean. It is significantly higher than the 45 and the sail is significantly bigger. After a lot of back and forth we were going to order the 45 as it seemed a little more manageable for single handing and we didn't need the 5th cabin the 50 offered. Yes couples go sailing but the reality is you will likely find yourself single handing a lot. In the end bc of Covid we opted for a used 48 that we close on this week (except for the hurricane that will likely push closing). The 48 has no flybridge and is slightly smaller than the 50 so reduces a few of these issues.
Just a point of note that others have hit on in this thread. Insurance is a big deal and is not easy to get if you don't have experience. We documented an average of 30 days a year bareboat chartering 45s for the past 5 years and 35 yrs sailing exp and were still required to have a captain signoff. I have heard numerous stories of outright decline based on experience unless there is a full time captain. Good news, Leopard sells a bunch of cats to new sailors, they have a market they can put you with but doubtful one that will underwrite a 30 day offshore passage out of the gate w/o a captain or significant documented experience. Enjoy the new yacht, either is an excellent choice.
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:44   #17

There are literally scores of very experienced sailors in Cape Town. Take a young couple....they will be experienced, hard working, inexpensive, and honest, ...generally.

45 55 65 smiftyfive :-)
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTurin View Post
You right, but I don’t want to pay for Delivery )
Let me get this straight...you are purchasing or have purchased a $1M boat, but are worried about the $30k delivery charge?
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:04   #19

Boat: Leopard 45

I've owned two Leopards. A 44 and currently a 45. Both great boats. The 50 was about twice the price of the 45 and for 2 people (or even 4 couples) we have found the 45 more than adequate. The 50 is more boat than I would want to sail as a couple. The 45 sails nicely with just two. (or even single handing) You are probably going to get the three cabin design and have one hull all to yourself. The 50 does have more space but not enough to compensate for the price difference.
Go with the 45. You'll love it.
Do you have much big cat experience? If not go with the previous comments and hire a qualified captain to help you sail it to your designation and on the way you will become competent enough to handle it on your own.
cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:42   #20

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Why would you consider 5 feet to be depretmental to you as sailing.
45ft cat is massive for a couple, 50 foot even bigger , as for sailing nothing different, same ropes slighly bigger sail
If its money 45 feet if not 50 feet
Is it an ego thing , or do you really need the extra space
Bit like a couple living in a 5 bed house, because maybe the kids will visit or all our friends
If it does not happen on land ain't going to happen at sea.
So ask yourself why do I need the extra space.
Cause I can or cause I need
Seems more of a male size issue to actually thinking about sailing , the cost of sailing and what do I really need
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Congrats on the new boat. Just hire a good captain to help you take it to madeira. You can afford it. You'll learn a lot on the way. Leopard probably have captains they can recommend to you. Sounds like a fun trip.

Either one is fine. Probably wont be your last boat.
Thank you!
I don’t want to have unknown people on boat. Better I spend a week or two to learn blue water technic )
I don’t know how Leopard sailing but layout of it the best ever I seen.
AlexTurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:32   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Let me get this straight...you are purchasing or have purchased a $1M boat, but are worried about the $30k delivery charge?
Correct ) But I ordered 45th 600€+. Now I’m thinking to sale house to have enough to buy 50th. So, I don’t want to spend 30€. And I want to have real blue water trip!
Old 07-10-2020, 10:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Why would you consider 5 feet to be depretmental to you as sailing.
45ft cat is massive for a couple, 50 foot even bigger , as for sailing nothing different, same ropes slighly bigger sail
If its money 45 feet if not 50 feet
Is it an ego thing , or do you really need the extra space
Bit like a couple living in a 5 bed house, because maybe the kids will visit or all our friends
If it does not happen on land ain't going to happen at sea.
So ask yourself why do I need the extra space.
Cause I can or cause I need
Seems more of a male size issue to actually thinking about sailing , the cost of sailing and what do I really need
I think this is ego a little. But from other hand this is my first boat and want it the best ). I’m going to sailing world abound in few year and thinking of comfort for my, wife and kid. I hope to see friends from time to time.
I want to have performance and polar diagram tell that 50th is faster. I don’t want to order 5 cabins, I want it 3 plus utility room. I like this layout a much.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
I've owned two Leopards. A 44 and currently a 45. Both great boats. The 50 was about twice the price of the 45 and for 2 people (or even 4 couples) we have found the 45 more than adequate. The 50 is more boat than I would want to sail as a couple. The 45 sails nicely with just two. (or even single handing) You are probably going to get the three cabin design and have one hull all to yourself. The 50 does have more space but not enough to compensate for the price difference.
Go with the 45. You'll love it.
Do you have much big cat experience? If not go with the previous comments and hire a qualified captain to help you sail it to your designation and on the way you will become competent enough to handle it on your own.
cheers,
Jim
Thank you! I think you are right
Old 07-10-2020, 10:46   #25

Talking Re: Leopard 45 or 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yep go the 50.

No experience
new boat
first blue water passage

what could possibly go wrong?
))) I want my payment back...
Old 07-10-2020, 10:51   #26

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
The bigger the better.
Typically most cats by the same mfg, in the same relative size range will have similar salons, the length difference usually shows up in the cockpit and hull space, which is not a bad thing if you plan on doing a lot of entertaining. For just sailing as a couple, the 45 would be just fine. And hire that captain as he can accelerate your learning curve massively and maybe save your lives or the boat in the meantime.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:36   #27

Boat: Leopard 40

Hi Alex,

We have owned a 44 for 5 years. We just traded in for a 40 and my wife and I plan to cruise on it. The 45 would have been nice but it stretched the budget too much, would rather have the cheaper boat and less financial worries.

We sailed the 48 a few times and it was very similar to the 44.

Best advice...get yourself some training then do the delivery with an experienced skipper. After that you will know your boat well and be good to cruise.

Stick with the 45.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 17:08   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The fifty is a huge boat with very poor sight lines. Owners typically install cameras. Spend time on both to decide. The standard fifty is four cabin giving you plenty of room to fight.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 14:08   #29

Boat: Knysna 500SE

Hire an experienced delivery captain to assist you in the acceptance and the sailing. You will find a lot of issues you are incapable of understanding, you will be able to prepare a boat for a crossing, you will learn a lot and maybe you will save your life. Being a captain is far away from being a car driver (American in particular)
Old 18-10-2020, 15:35   #30

I believe the 2021 production slots for the Leopard 50 are gone or almost gone. So this is likely an academic question.

And if you are unsure between the two of them - I think the 45 is a better choice. Especially as you are inexperienced. And it gives you the option to move up to a bigger boat in the future. If you got the 50 now where would you go?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 45