Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 17:55   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Yes and the tri above used the windlass to get the sails UP but that doesnt help with tacking, getting the main and headsails in or getting that massively loaded traveller back up the track.
Could be but it's not general.That's why you need appropriate & proven design rigged for sorthanded sailing. A57 have 2 electric Harken B60's which can handle in manual mode this sail easily.

Quote:
How does one get the smoke back into burnt out electrical motors or repair blown hydraulics while at sea?
This gear don't brake that easy, even with bad seamanship or bad maintenance - hydraulic. How do you burn electric winch? By overloading it 98% and 2% in some cases of odd short circuit. Why overload when cruising? Even if somehow manage to burn el. motor you can still use manually this winch with 2 or 3 speed g/ratio nor to say that you still have the other electric winch functional. 3 speed (custom) Harken B60 is very powerful winch in manual mode too.

Repair? As oscar said: "carry spares and the tools/know how to install them" or wait to the next port. The point is that you can still handle the sails.
If you have other experience could be that rigging/parts ... are not properly designed for that boat.

@ozdownunder You are welcome!
hefestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 22:47   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Was the boat under winched? Nothing worse then an underwinched boat and the loads on a multi are higher for a given length do to it's initial stability.
The loads as in how hard was it to winch werent that bad, it was more how many times around and around and around and around and around and around you had to wind the winches that was an issue.

I admit on passage it may not be that bad as you may not need to tack or gybe that often but at some stage you will need to.

Quote:
What size was it?
the boat? 67 foot Crowther, shes in charter at the whitsundays now
http://www.sailingwhitsundays.com/avatar.htm

Quote:
What were the winch ratio's? It looks like a pretty good size boat, I would think they would need at least a ratio of 100 to 1 but then you are talking about a $20k winch.
A few years back now and only had a couple of sails so honestly couldnt tell you but they looked friggen ginormous compared to my anderson 28's and lewmar 16's
Old 25-02-2010, 22:55   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefestus View Post
How do you burn electric winch? By overloading it 98% and 2% in some cases of odd short circuit.
yes, water and electricity dont mix, have seen green kill off stuff before and I will do again.

I am not worried about if you can get gear to work,thats easy
But I am more concerned about what happens when it doesnt and me an my girl need to get this monster a thousand miles to a repair.

Quote:
Repair? As oscar said: "carry spares
yes, I'm sure most people carry winches worth several if not tens of thousand of dollars in their bottom draws
Quote:
or wait to the next port. The point is that you can still handle the sails.
This is my point, can you?
Can you really?
Old 26-02-2010, 08:26   #34

@cat man do

Don't worry about the winch manual mode will work fine if it's right size. Service and maintenance of the winches should be part of good seamanship. This is do it yourself job since service manuals are included with every winch, and it's fair easy even with someone with 2 left hands! And most important should be done once a year.
I'll be more worried about autopilot. You don't want to hand steer on long passages.

Quote:
yes, water and electricity dont mix, have seen green kill off stuff before and I will do again.
Right! So you crank your engine with the handle, or you have starter? That is similar type of electric motor like on winch, windlass ... and you use it every day when you turn the key in your car. As for the "green stuff", they invented something called contact cleaner; G3 have good one in aerosol. To kill and protect from the "green stuff"

Quote:
But I am more concerned about what happens when it doesnt and me an my girl need to get this monster a thousand miles to a repair.
Thousand miles? Same as with Toyota you go to Japan and fix it!

Quote:
yes, I'm sure most people carry winches worth several if not tens of thousand of dollars in their bottom draws
Few of them since boat have at least 3 dif. winch sizes. The big ones doesn't fit in the drawer. Joke, service parts for H60' is less the 1 kg. Btw I can fix in most cases electric motor on boat, polish commutator, change brushes, bushing ...

Quote:
This is my point, can you?
Can you really?
Sure I can. that's why they pay me but it's irrelevant for this conversation.
There are many testimonials of successful voyages by couples or family with kids in 50'+ boats.
This one by Helene and Arne in Hallberg-Rassy 62 sailing Antarctica, Chilean archipelago ... 44k nm around the globe in the big heavy 62' mono packed with all technology.

Yaghans round the world blog
Old 26-02-2010, 08:47   #35

Quote:
Sure ain't easy going manual on this one guess this is not typical cruising vessel.

Tags
catamaran, crew, privilege, size