Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 23:41   #16

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38
Send a message via Skype™ to SV Luckyfish
Re: Is a $100k cat a pipedream?

Hi gekko15,

There are a ton of cats out there for that figure capable of doing what you want. 3 years ago I had the same question and began reading up on James Wharram and his principles of design. Safety and performance were my two main criteria.

The more I read the more I realised his design, the Tiki 38, was the ideal boat for us. We found a good one for sale in South Africa and since then I have been sharing our experiences, crossing the Atlantic, cruising the Caribbean etc.

My motivation to vlog about it is to share what is possible on a reasonably priced catamaran. You really don't have to spend your life saving money, or paying off a loan to have amazing adventures on a safe, fast, bluewater catamaran. The Wharram community are a great bunch of folks happy to provide advice etc to help you on your journey.

Here's a link to a recent episode. Cheers and good luck with your search. We all started out with a dream once! P.S. Right on Redreuben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
One word. Wharram

www.svluckyfish.com
SV Luckyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 00:28   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Read Andy Evans's book on solo sailing. It's free for download below, though do pick up a hard copy too. As it has lots of ideas & wisdom on how to set up boats for short-handing, & what it's like to sail solo or double-handed. Which, if you've but 2 folks onboard, in anything but emergencies, you, the watch stander, are essentially sailing solo.
Singlehanded Sailing Society | San Francisco Shorthanded Racing
Resources | Singlehanded Sailing Society
http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf

BTW, Andy Evans is a member both here, & on Sailing Anarchy Forums, where his handle is "Foolish". I forget what it is here, but he's easy enough to track down, & generally is more than happy to share his (huge depth of) knowledge. As he's distilled the wisdom of thousands of hours of solo sailing done by pro's into his book. And of course has loads of time on the water himself.

Also, there are numerous multihull associations on both coasts, as well as the Great Lakes. All of which have a wealth of resources & information.

And if you have a significant other, have her(?) take sailing classes seperately from you. Which, it's generally preferable to pick a school which has a female instructor for said classes.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:36   #18

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

on the Andy Evans book.
Jealous though. A privilege 39 for 100K? Not where I live
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:22   #19

Boat: In Between Boats

Welcome to the 'Cat Race'! The new status symbol.

Take a look at what the same money will buy in a solid mono. For the budget limited, Cats will keep you sailing SV Someday.

Be realistic about your means and needs. Cats are expensive and have their own problems.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:21   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

If one is just after lots of space and stability at anchor the are plenty of older boats within budget. I have just meet some older folks happily living on a small Bobcat, a design from the 60s. I bet it cost under 30k. Not what I would sail across any ocean but for living in the med why not?

If it needs to be blue water, roomy, modern, nice and shiny the budget needs to be doubled at least.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:40   #21

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
Welcome to the 'Cat Race'! The new status symbol.

Take a look at what the same money will buy in a solid mono. For the budget limited, Cats will keep you sailing SV Someday.

Be realistic about your means and needs. Cats are expensive and have their own problems.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42   #22
cruiser

First learn to sail and see if you even enjoy it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:46   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I would second the Prout Snowgoose. Not a performance cat or a condo cat but very seaworthy and well within your budget.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:16   #24

Boat: Want a 450 S

Agreed Wharram, blue water sailor. There is one for sale at the moment just under 200k brand new
bjs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:51   #26

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'

I'm more of a dog person, go monohull. I recommend you continue your research, and go on a multi-day crewed charter on both, then go spend a couple of nights in one hull or the other of a Cat... for me, I feel more like I am in a submarine! Also consider if swinging from the hook is what you want, or do you want the occasional marina overnight? Good luck and I hope you are able to achieve your dream. I have many friends out there on the great open blue on Cat's of all sizes and prices and they swear by them... I just swear!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:41   #27

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

you can do it!
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:53   #28

Thanks to everyone for their comments and insights. First on the list is to learn some actual sailing and then to spend a few nights on different boats. I went to the Sydney boat show this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised by both the monohulls and cats - although I know that selecting from a used line-up will be different.

Thanks again for everybody's comments and for making me feel welcome on the forum.
gekko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:04   #29

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

There's a privilege in the caribbean for 40k. Needs 20k of work.
There's 2 others almost at 100k. But Gemini that are 60k have circumnavigated. Prouts were good but 30-40 years of in keel water tanks have led to more than 1 needing intense hull repairs.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:05   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in mazatlan are two cats under 100,000.
one fisher cat is 69,900 asking price, and tisha baby, a well cruised sweetie used to be a neighbor in various anchorages, was 99,000 usd asking price., as tisha baby has gone from mazatlan to one of rays other yacht brokerage regions--he only has 4 or 5-- i donot know if she has been sold.
the fisher cat is still available and located in marina mazatlan.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote