Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 08:10   #1

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Insurance for Woods design or homebuilt

This question is directed at Woods design owners/builders or other builders/ designers. I am considering building a Woods design and am having a difficult time finding a company to insure it. Really looking for liability only but will buy what is available. I am getting answers such as, sorry, we don’t insure that type of boat. Not even with a survey. I realize this is a hypothetical question for them but that shouldn’t matter. I don’t want to build a boat I can’t insure and then not be able to get into a marina once in a while. Thanks.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 00:51   #2

Re: Insurance for Woods design or homebuilt

No problem with the design, Woods has a proven record, no structural failures ever that I know of. Good safe boats that sail well.

In Australia, Pantaneus (spelling?) and Club Maritime have insured many home-built ply cats of proven design. Check them out online, they might be able to provide cover in USA.

Locally, several builders have engaged a local surveyor who is trusted by the insurance guys to do stage-survey reports during the build. I don't know if this will be possible in Ohio?
Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:08   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
This question is directed at Woods design owners/builders or other builders/ designers. I am considering building a Woods design and am having a difficult time finding a company to insure it. Really looking for liability only but will buy what is available. I am getting answers such as, sorry, we don’t insure that type of boat. Not even with a survey. I realize this is a hypothetical question for them but that shouldn’t matter. I don’t want to build a boat I can’t insure and then not be able to get into a marina once in a while. Thanks.
There are hundreds of Woods catamarans out there, excellent boats. Have you contacted Richard? If he can't help directly I am sure he can put you in contact with other owners.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:10   #4

Boat: Searunner 37 Trimaran

I would just like liability insurance for my Searunner......
thatguyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
No problem with the design, Woods has a proven record, no structural failures ever that I know of. Good safe boats that sail well.

In Australia, Pantaneus (spelling?) and Club Maritime have insured many home-built ply cats of proven design. Check them out online, they might be able to provide cover in USA.

Locally, several builders have engaged a local surveyor who is trusted by the insurance guys to do stage-survey reports during the build. I don't know if this will be possible in Ohio?
Thank you, I will check them out.
Old 13-02-2020, 07:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
There are hundreds of Woods catamarans out there, excellent boats. Have you contacted Richard? If he can't help directly I am sure he can put you in contact with other owners.
Yes I have contacted Richard, didn’t seem to have much in the way of leads. I should get on the Woods forum. Thanks.
Old 13-02-2020, 10:34   #7

Several years ago I bought liability insurance for a home-built catamaran through Progressive. They may still be willing to underwrite such a policy now.
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 11:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaya View Post
Several years ago I bought liability insurance for a home-built catamaran through Progressive. They may still be willing to underwrite such a policy now.
I did contact them but they said no. However sometimes you get a different reply on a different day. Thanks.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:35   #9

Boat: F-82 tri.

I realise that I am a bit late to the thread but last year I insured my new home built Farrier F82 tri in Ontario with April Marine Canada.
Cost around $900 CDN fully covered.
F82paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 16:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82paul View Post
I realise that I am a bit late to the thread but last year I insured my new home built Farrier F82 tri in Ontario with April Marine Canada.
Cost around $900 CDN fully covered.
Interesting. Did they require a survey ?
Old 31-03-2020, 07:08   #11

A survey was required to show value for insurance and to prove the boat met all of the marine regulations re. nav lights, fire extinguishers and detectors for registration purposes.
Old 31-03-2020, 07:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82paul View Post
A survey was required to show value for insurance and to prove the boat met all of the marine regulations re. nav lights, fire extinguishers and detectors for registration purposes.
Thanks for the information, you wouldn’t have any contact information on April Marine would you ?
Old 31-03-2020, 12:58   #13

I don't have any contact info.......I used my local insurance broker who went through Northbridge Insurance who went........?
Old 07-07-2020, 14:15   #14

Boat: Searunner 37 Trimaran

All that I want is liability insurance for my homebuilt searunner.....
thatguyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 15:11   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

For liability only and not requiring a survey I have claimed that my hulls are fiberglass composite. If you say wood you will be denied. If you are building a Woods from scratch, you should build it with a foam core not ply, I am sure that Richard Woods can provide for plans in foam core composite. You will have a more valuable boat and won't cost that much more. Woods is a member here, maybe he will chime in. Getting it certified to USCG passenger carrying standards during the build is an option to look into as well.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance