Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2008, 06:55   #31

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Thge bridge in St. Maarten is quite narrow for those big boats.That is why the fenders are still deployed.

I had the batten pockets reinforced on my boat with LeisureFurl boom. Have not had any problem with the battens since.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 07:14   #32
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
The quote is for the system with all the extras but without the sails.

They prefer to have a local sailmaker of which there some very good ones make the sails and then they test and deliver the whole unit with the sails.
I am free to choose the sail maker but at least the whole thing gets delivered after testing.

I can email the quote to you if you wish to see it.

The testimonials and chat with Richard have convinced me that this is the way to go for me. So I am ticking that decision off the list.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 07:24   #33

Boat: Privilege 37
Thanks very much - thought you said earlier that the price include the sail, so was interested in what your decision there had been. Dont need the quote, as am not in any position yet to need it, but like the look of the system, and note features in it that are much superior to the system I had any knowledge off.

Delightd to have been of some small assistance in your decision cycle!!!!

I look forward to the next item on the saga Will it be

What anchor,

LED lights

Instruments

What tender

???????????????
Old 13-08-2008, 07:32   #34
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Talbot
Yes you made me question a decision and the result was a change in that decision which mean that when my mainsail furling system jams in a f9 and we are reduced to manually strapping the sail to the boom I can laways find extra strength by thinking of you

I think sometimes my strong opinions or searching for info is misunderstood - I always like bashing ideas around, trying to get a feel for the subject then going for it and I am always willing to change my mind if a better case of something appears. I love knowing o little about the actual sailing because I enjoy learning so much .... its great.

I am looking for LED lights like I saw on the Fastcat which had the option of being white or red - makes more sense to have red throughout the boat at night.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 07:42   #35

Boat: Privilege 37
Take a good look at LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc. the Sensilight is being lauded on another thread at this moment, and some of their lights are white/red.

I rather like the converted parrafin lights as well
Old 13-08-2008, 18:26   #36

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
One of the producer : In Boom Mainsail Furling and Reefing System : Leisure Furl
Old 13-08-2008, 18:58   #37

I'm joining this thread late but we have the Schaefer In-boom system and I just want to echo Bill T's comments entirely. The system has been completely trouble free, we can reef the customized full batten Quantum sail easily in any weather AND at any point of sail. The fixed strut keeps the boom at the right angle, and the articulating track preventsany binding. We used it for two years in the trade winds so it has been well tested.
It is a huge expense and I thought very hard about it but felt the safety and convenience for a shorthanded crew was worth it. We started out with NO electric winch but got one later. It is always possible to raise and reef manually...but too much work and the pushbutton ease now makes deciding to sail or deciding to reef an easy choice. Schaeffer management got involved in the install and gave great advice and support to our fine local riggers and loft. The LeisureFurl that Bill has was our other choice but at the time was a few thousand $$ more for our boat. Don't know if that is still true today but we felt after research that both systems were the best engineered of those available in 2004.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mainsail