Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 12:47   #1

Boat: NewPort 33, Lucille
recommendation for headsail furling/reefing

I got some great feedback on my last thread about converting my old jib into a sail to work on a furler. Thanks for info! I'm going ahead and going this route and now need some feedback on which furler to buy for my 33 NewPort.

Were trying to keep the cost less than 2k if possible. I'm looking at either Profurl or Harekn. The C 320 from Porfurl seems to be a good choice. Anyone had any experience with this unit?

I was also looking at the CDI units. They are awfully cheap. Are they any good?

-Nate
eldiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:30   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
CDI makes a decent product. I place them in the furler category vs to be used for reefing. Some might differ in opinion, but the extrusion seems to not like the added pressure of being used reefed.

I am partial to the Schaefer furlers. Minimal maintenance, and very sturdy.

The angle of the halyard to the bell housing on furlers is critical to avoid halyard wrap. Please ask if you need more explanation here.

Also I would consider replacing your forestay at the same time. Since it will be enclosed by the furler, and will be harder to inspect for wear.

If you are on the East Coast of the US, I would recommend Rigging Only in Fairhaven Mass. Very knowledgeable rigging shop, that is super helpful.

Cheers,
Old 10-04-2007, 13:18   #3

have a schaeffer sys. 2000 on our boat 37 GulfStar. came with the boat, had questions so i e-mailed schaeffer as to wether it is a furler as it says in the owner's manual. the response i got was that all their (furlers) are really reefers. meaning they are built to take the punishment of reefing with no probs. anyway the boat we bought we have known since it came to our area 25 yrs age and the owner had the sys installed in the eighties sold in the early ninties and has not been serviced during the ninties until we bought the boat. i went over the system and had it checked by the yard and they said itwass in perfect working order. this says something about schaeffer components i believe
anyway good luck with your search for your's
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 18:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
have a schaeffer sys. 2000 on our boat 37 GulfStar
I have an exact unit like that on our CSY 33. Original and never fails.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 21:29   #5

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42
Reefurl. Made in Airlie Beach Australia but exported. Cheaper than big name brands, INDESTUCTABLE. No small parts or roller bearings to crush, teflon bushes. All the commercial operators use them. I have two on my current cat and had one on my last boat. I will never use anything else.

Reefurl Roller Reefing Roller Furling Systems
Bill of Whitsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 21:59   #6

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
yep i agree with bill. the reefurl is awsome. no problems with mine and they reef in easily even in very windy conditions.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 22:00   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
The CDI furler is mostly for light duty use. I have one on my Capri 14, but wouldn't even consider it for my big boat, nor any boat which is used for serious sailing.

I previously owned a Profurl equipped boat. Good sturdy product. It even states in their sales info that if necessary, you can reef them with a winch
(or at least it used to ).

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling