Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21   #1

Boat: Catalac 8m
I want to replace my Catalac's outboard with a diesel

Does anyone have any advice on the most economical way of doing this please? Its an 8m Catalac
syoung33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 13:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
The Yanmar Diesel Outboard has been out of production for a long time, and is extremely rare. Best wishes.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
why the change?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Does anyone know what ever happened to the Evinrude "Vindicator" (Bombardier), a 55HP, two-cylinder, two-stroke, direct injected outboard ?
This outboard was promised to run on Diesel (1 and 2), JP4,5 and 8, home heating oil #1, kerosene, gasoline, ethanol, and bio-diesel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've been curious myself, Gord. Here's a couple tidbits:

New Evinrude outboard runs on jet fuel, comes in "stealth black"

Evinrude's Multi Fuel outboards

The engine is designed for large ribs, with a 20" transom height and a rope start. I suspect its based on the ETEC 50, so there might be remote controls and a starter for it, but I doubt there's a longshaft or extension. Evenrude's site mentions a high thrust prop, but doesn't include data, so I suspect it isn't going to be an out-of-the-box solution for catamarans. While it has a switch to select different fuels, including gasoline, the write-up only mentions the lower viscosity kerosenes, not fuel dock or over-the-road goopy diesels. It seems to be a very pricey solution to a very rare problem; NTSB, CTSB, MIB and USCG accident records don't support the traditional fears* of gasoline on board.

* I've left out my personal opinion on this subject.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50   #6

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
It seems to be a very pricey solution to a very rare problem; NTSB, CTSB, MIB and USCG accident records don't support the traditional fears* of gasoline on board.

* I've left out my personal opinion on this subject.
Come on, Sandy, you're amongst friends. You don't need to soften that down so much it's nearly out . Besides, I heard you have some insider information on NTSB. Like, you know an ex-investigator or yourself.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 13:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see him every afternoon*. He's an opinionated, self righteous, pompous couch potato who needs internet forums the way a dog needs a fire hydrant, he checks back every day to see if his scent is still the strongest!

*I tend to avoid mirrors until the sun is behind me.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
why the change?

Well price of petrol mainly, also I figured diesel would be more efficient to run, less servicing etc..
Old 11-01-2009, 04:23   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
In my recollection there just wasn't a large demand for this type of engine and you are very limited as far as choice. As Talbot noted Yanmar was the only manufacturer that manufactured a diesel outboard that would fit the Catalac 8M or 9M.

These may be difficult to locate.

Other than your repower project, how's the boat coming along? Have you had the opportunity to sail her?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 13:55   #10

Boat: Mac 26x
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoung33 View Post
Well price of petrol mainly, also I figured diesel would be more efficient to run, less servicing etc..
Syoung
have you ever tryed to buy petrol on the East Coast? i could not find petrol for sale in any of the Marinas i looked,i was almost caught out at Orford ness,i got lucky as a little old lady in her hardy had a spare can thar she sold me.
At Lowestoft i had to call my son to come to the marina and pick me up
At Levington the petrol pump does not work anymore

and the best laugh was after i filled up two 25 liter tanks at Ipswich,the assistant told me that it was "Illegal" to fill up two tanks and that i should have only filled one???????? anti terrorist legislation

The price difference is that i spent 120.00 on gas motoring some 90nm from North Norfolk down to the Deben,using a diesel would have cost me a tenner
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post

Other than your repower project, how's the boat coming along? Have you had the opportunity to sail her?
Yes thanks Rick, we had some great adventures during spring and summer 2008, weather was a bit hit and miss, but we ventured up as far as Woodbridge on the River Deben, Ipswich, Harwich, Pin Mill and the Walton Backwaters. We'd planned a trip to Holland but it was blowing 35 knots in the North Sea, so we abandoned that idea.

I've always been careful to have a few cans of petrol on board, as the wind always seems to be on the nose when we head back to Tollesbury... luckily not had to find petrol during any of our trips.... I guess thats another reason for wanting a diesel - having to carry cans of petrol on board...

Tags
catalac, diesel, outboard