Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 15:47   #16

Re: How many people can I fit on a 32’ Iroquois catamaran mk2?

It entirely depends in how many friends you have. There are 26 aboard this 37fter and they are all in the cockpit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stern.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	168866  
vorpal blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 17:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Well, with a guesstimated combined hull volume of 960 cubic feet, 399.5328 @ 150lb each with no gear, 'loaded to the gunnels'...
Yeah, I think by volume makes the most sense but you have to have a really good blender. Maybe a wood chipper.

On a practical note I think your are required to have a pfd for each person and a ring for each 4...

At least that's how I was schooled.

From a realistic standpoint probabbly 8 for daysailing more than 6 would be no fun for cruising.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 18:48   #18

Boat: Knysna 440

[QUOTE=John_Trusty;2621525]The US requirement for Capacity Placards only applies to vessels under 20 feet manufactured after November 1972 - https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/boat/capacities/ Vessels of more than 20 feet aren't required to have labels, although boats up to 26 feet built to the American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) standards adopted by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) do. QUOTE]

Very interesting...I did not know this. In addition all sailboats are specifically exempt from the legislation. We've owned/operated several boats over the years that exceeded 20', were manufactured in the US, and still had placards. I guess it's a CYA sort of world.

More interesting is that we purchased a 2006 Knysna Catamaran that has a placard. Go figure. These cats are from a boutique builder (only 4 built per year) in South Africa. It makes me wonder if there is some requirement in SA.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 19:12   #19

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I'm going to assume that you intended this as a serious question, so I'll attempt to make a serious answer: It depends.

It depends on where you are going, and the conditions you might get. I looked at a lot of images, and read some reviews online. The boat has a relatively small cockpit and very small side decks.

It really looks comfortable for 6 adults in the cockpits. If you are carrying people on the fore deck or on the trampolines, they are fairly isolated from the cockpit. Except for the calmest short trips, I wouldn't count this as part of your "load" capacity. Can more people be in the cabin? Sure, but then again that works only for the shortest voyages.

Long experience in sailboats - including multihulls - has make me pretty conservative. I'm comfortable with 6 people on that boat, no way would I go out with more than 10. Start with the smaller number (6) and see how it goes. Life jackets for everyone.

Remember that you are responsible for the lives of everyone on your boat. I know that lots of people would say, "load it up!", but I'm not one of them. The more people on board, the more things there are to watch for. If you are new on the experience continuom, start with fewer people.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stats67 View Post
How many people can I fit on a 32’ Iroquois catamaran mk2?
The comedy on these forums is great. The straight man asks the questions and then the floodgates of comedy open wide.
On my Iroquois I would not put more than four adults. The saloon is not stand up height so to be comfortable you need to be sitting in there or hang out in the cockpit which gets really tight with more than four adults. One or two people can also hang out in front on the trampoline if you are just day sailing.
The access to the bow is narrow as you walk past the cabin to the front.
Kids can hang out in the cabin since they don't need the headroom.
Its really seaworthy so it can take the weight without a problem.
The pontoons on each side are stand up but that's only good when you are in the head or the galley.
Dove1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:58   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove1955 View Post
The comedy on these forums is great. The straight man asks the questions and then the floodgates of comedy open wide.
On my Iroquois I would not put more than four adults. The saloon is not stand up height so to be comfortable you need to be sitting in there or hang out in the cockpit which gets really tight with more than four adults. One or two people can also hang out in front on the trampoline if you are just day sailing.
The access to the bow is narrow as you walk past the cabin to the front.
Kids can hang out in the cabin since they don't need the headroom.
Its really seaworthy so it can take the weight without a problem.
The pontoons on each side are stand up but that's only good when you are in the head or the galley.

I'm with Dove. I had a PDQ 32/34, and I wouldn't intentionally take more than 6. They would fit easily, but I don't like crowding. We cruised for weeks with 4. 8-10 would be OK day sailing in fair weather, I guess.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:17   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wife, if you recall the mini-Dunkirk evacuation of the World Trade Center by small craft, from North Cove across to NJ, the capacity placards were routinely ignored. Obviously the OP is considering emergency operations and not fine points of the law. So the question is, how many pounds of clowns can you fit on board before the clown car sinks?

A profound matter.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran