Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 04:29   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
There's got to be a super double extra bonus for getting ones in the Chesapeake, right?? I'll be there pretty soon.

I'd give you triple points for those.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:17   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sulli,

I have my fingers crossed you will be able to get outside when the young lady meets up with you. Get some miles down, and some night sailing too.....OH YEAH!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:35   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Sean,

FWIW you should be able to run @ higher RPMs. I have read any number of tech articles that quote something like 75% of your running time @ 75% of max RPMs. That should come to something pretty close to 2600.

Of course YMMV. You are routinely running only one engine, right?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
One of the deisel techs here advised not to baby it at 2200rpms, but I like the fuel economy at that rpm
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:53   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sulli,

I have my fingers crossed you will be able to get outside when the young lady meets up with you. Get some miles down, and some night sailing too.....OH YEAH!
There *is* no "inside" once I get to Jersey. That's the kind of sailing I'm used to.

The ICW was strange indeed, but there were a few spots with some good sailing. I did hop outside of the ICW when it was shorter to do so.

I did not hop out in places like NC, where hopping out would add hundreds of extra miles, due to the curvature of the shore. I took straight lines, with anchoring at night.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:54   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
Sean,

FWIW you should be able to run @ higher RPMs. I have read any number of tech articles that quote something like 75% of your running time @ 75% of max RPMs. That should come to something pretty close to 2600.

Of course YMMV. You are routinely running only one engine, right?
I would love to, but can't afford to do so.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:14   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I'm happy just letting these props freewheel when sailing.

I haven't got a chance to sail with these yet without the prop cages. Tried today, but it was futile. First, no wind, then wind on the nose. It IS sailing after all!

I was just put back in the water yesterday. Yesterday and today were both days where the wind was coming from my destination. Maybe an update on sailing speed in a couple days when I can get some good data. The boat only seemed to go 7 knots max with the cages on.
Free wheeling costs more energy than setting them into gear
Getting folding props will gain you over 10 % in speed and maybe more sice you have a smaller cat and the effect of non folders is more on smaller boats. If you ever go for folders look at the Flex O fold racing props with minimal drag.

Greetings and good luck to you , Wished I could have been there we do not make a race out of everything and always share the wine on board

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:17   #23
Kai Nui

Good times Sean. Great to hear you are loving the new boat, and the Multi lifestyle. I too can relate to the missing the missus. I have to say though, after enough time, you find pleasure in those moments of solitude with just you and the boat. Since your plan is to charter, I would recommend embracing those times now, because they will be far fewer and farther between.
Hope to launch soon myself, and I'll be able to remember the pleasure of a broad reach in a perfect wind.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10   #24

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Free wheeling costs more energy than setting them into gear
Unless it doesn't.

There has been a LOT of debate on this topic and I honestly do not know the real answer. It may not be the same answer for all fixed prop designs.

I suggest any cat owner with fixed props to find out for sure by doing a test on his/her boat. A dual prop cat is the best platform to do this since locking or unlocking the props provides twice as much effect as a single screw boat and thus it will be easier to see the difference.

(I have folders.)

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:39   #25

Boat: Privilege 37
Sean

I have been too busy to spend any time on here since you became a Catalac owner. The 10m is a nice boat that in the right circumstances will provide a significant surprise to other cruising cats. In the first couple of years after the design was launched, IIRC one won its class in the ARC. The reason is the underwater shape. Not as good as modern hulls for going to windward, but fantastic on a beam reach. The shape is more akin to a half chine motorboat design, and will plane given the right conditions.

My only real criticism of the 10m is a tendency to dig the stern under power, and one of the last 10ms was built with sugar scoops (hence an increase to 11m). I am also not a great fan of the steering position. Auto pilot and a remote control would be an essential item.

I have just sold my beloved 9m after 21 years, and was introduced to the design by the original builder (Tom Lack).
Old 07-05-2008, 13:18   #26
cruiser

Absolutely!

I'd say anyone who argues that props in gear (and locked) cause less drag hasn't gone out and tried it both ways.

I tried it on the Gulfstar (stupid me... nearly broke the tranny by putting it in gear at 7 knots). The Gulfstar quickly dropped from 7 to 5.5 or so. I had a good laugh at those who said locking a prop is more efficient.

It just isn't true. Try it out before you come with the theory. I'll only be locking them when mired down in fishing nets, lobster pots, crab traps, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Unless it doesn't.

There has been a LOT of debate on this topic and I honestly do not know the real answer. It may not be the same answer for all fixed prop designs.

I suggest any cat owner with fixed props to find out for sure by doing a test on his/her boat. A dual prop cat is the best platform to do this since locking or unlocking the props provides twice as much effect as a single screw boat and thus it will be easier to see the difference.

(I have folders.)

Dave
Old 07-05-2008, 13:22   #27
cruiser

And thanks for all the encoraging posts, everyone.

I'm trying to answer them individually, but I have to do dishes and make the next couple days' slop, get to bed, get up at dawn and do it all over again.

Definitely a lot of people get the wife thing. Kai... funny stuff about the charters. I had better enjoy the quiet is right!

Talbot, all very true. In general, a good boat. I am enjoying it like crazy now that it goes a decent speed. Had a great day sailing her at 5-7 knots in lightish winds today. The boat points better if you use the 100% jib instead of the genoa.
Old 07-05-2008, 13:49   #28

Quote:
The boat points better if you use the 100% jib instead of the genoa.
That is a standard Catalac characteristic.

By the way, the props spinning or not is actually more of a gearbox problem than a drag one. Some gearboxes absolutely dislike being allowed to spin, and others sulk if the boat is left in gear. It is always wise to check the gearbox manufacturers requirements.

With 2 x 3blad props, I would strongly recommend a change to kiwi props (or autoprop if you can fund them). You will find a significant difference in light airs.

With a cat it is important not to pinch up to windward. (a standard monohull trick) This is particularly important with a catalac. The hulls are not the best design for windward work and need speed to minimise leeway. easing away from the wind slightly can achieve a better angle into the wind (due to reduction in leeway), plus better speed, plus more comfortable ride.

With a Catalac, if you are having trouble tacking through the wind, slack off the mainsheets (about 20 degrees) as you go through the wind and she will tack better.

If you are trying too hard to windward, excessive leeway will be obvious.

I have had my 9m at 10 knots at 40 degees off the wind, and a lot more in the right conditions on a broad reach.

However, these boats are not very good load carriers, - not true in some ways, as they can carry the weight, but it has a depressing effect on their performance.

A very nice liveaboard.
Old 07-05-2008, 17:07   #29

One of the things I did while come up and down the ICW was fly by main. About half the time, it made no difference, the other half I'd pick up 1/2 - 1 knot. This was while cruising on ONE engine. I found I went as fast with one as with 2, almost. With one engine, and the main up, I'd average about 5.5 - 6 knots or at about 2300 RPM (Yanmar 3ym30's).

But, it is fun passing all the longer boats. Can't keep up with the iron genny running! Have a Good trip!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:23   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
One of the things I did while come up and down the ICW was fly by main. About half the time, it made no difference, the other half I'd pick up 1/2 - 1 knot. This was while cruising on ONE engine. I found I went as fast with one as with 2, almost. With one engine, and the main up, I'd average about 5.5 - 6 knots or at about 2300 RPM (Yanmar 3ym30's).

But, it is fun passing all the longer boats. Can't keep up with the iron genny running! Have a Good trip!
Thanks for that tip. I'll give that a shot. I've been full on sailing much of the time, when the wind is right, and/or at least throwing a rag up (gen or main) if I'm motoring and there is any way to keep it from flopping.

Today was great. Sailed just about all day long.

I'm in VA too, neighbor.

Looks like I have very good winds predicted for getting across the Chesapeake. Very excited about that. It's a long leg.