Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2022, 06:21   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
[ATTACH]263646[/ATTACH

Sorry for the sideways presentation seems to be a computer glitch or maybe just a senior moment.

However recorded this a few years ago while heading to the Exumas aboard my Voyage 440 sailing downwind in 30 kts with a double reefed main and surfing. For a short period of time our speed was 19 kts.

A condo cat is not suppose to go that fast and I can tell you it was way too much. Every part of the boat was either vibrating or humming. I did not feel safe and I have done a lot of racing (monohulls) but never really want to experience that again.

So just saying that the clown who is writing on the speed of cats needs to be canceled or maybe he needs to go back on his meds.

I wouldn’t consider a Voyage a condo cat, maybe a performance condo cat!
I think the Voyage was built to sail those speeds so maybe not a problem with the cat, more of a problem with the captain having never experienced such speeds under sail?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 09:47   #62

Boat: Oyster 55

Well you may be right.
I have never experienced speeds like that in a sailboat.
And as far as my definition of a condo-cat goes if it cant go up wind then it is a condo cat.
Also there have been two capsizes that I know of with the Voyage 440.
And please it is not a derogatory statement because I love cats and if I had the money i would buy a Chris White boat in a flash. Cats have a tremendous amount of attributes. I owned mine for 5 years and sailed it from Maine to Venezuela and many places in between. Had a great time in the boat for many reasons it just didn't go up wind. Anyway it doesn't matter what I think. I am not here to degrade anyones choice in boats.
However maybe you could tell us whats it like to cruise around over 20 knots in a 40 ft cat.. I would love to hear about it so I could live vicariously through you.
Also if you could print the polars on your boat or guide me where to find them it would be much appreciated.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 10:01   #63

Define 'upwind.'

My boat sails at 35 degrees apparent, and if lightly loaded will approach 30.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 10:17   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Well you may be right.

I have never experienced speeds like that in a sailboat.

And as far as my definition of a condo-cat goes if it cant go up wind then it is a condo cat.

Also there have been two capsizes that I know of with the Voyage 440.

And please it is not a derogatory statement because I love cats and if I had the money i would buy a Chris White boat in a flash. Cats have a tremendous amount of attributes. I owned mine for 5 years and sailed it from Maine to Venezuela and many places in between. Had a great time in the boat for many reasons it just didn't go up wind. Anyway it doesn't matter what I think. I am not here to degrade anyones choice in boats.

However maybe you could tell us whats it like to cruise around over 20 knots in a 40 ft cat.. I would love to hear about it so I could live vicariously through you.

Also if you could print the polars on your boat or guide me where to find them it would be much appreciated.

I hope you don’t think I was trying to degrade the Voyage, there’s a lot I like about them.
Our top speed on our cat was 16.5kts under double reefed main and 100% jib in about 20 kts of wind. Previous owner had her up to 26.5 kts., but like you not something I want to replicate!
No polars that’s I’m aware of. Previous owner says she sails at windspeed up to about 15 kts of wind in racing mode. She has a PHRF rating of -22 so comparable to an F31 trimaran. We have her loaded for cruising so speeds are lower than in racing mode.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 10:57   #65

Boat: Oyster 55

Now you have a cat that ticks most boxes.
I would assume you have an RO system, solar/wind , Lithium etc therefore negating the need for a heavy genset.
Sounds like you have a great boat!
would love to sail one some day , however don't think there is an East Coast dealer.
Would have to get use to 20 kts in a sailboat. Maybe if i wasn't going down a wave it would have been better tolerated. No way to bail in those situations.
Never thought you were degrading the Voyage but as a previous owner I would heavily criticize the lack of adequate bridge deck clearance as the major drawback to that boat. Bridge deck clearance is a very important factor.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 11:11   #66

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Sorry about that Matt. I guess that makes me an enabler! Damn.

Here's the nasty part so I don't make his webpage turn up any higher on the google search algorithm.

The author claims these are the top speeds for each cat.

Gunboat 68 35+ Knots
TS 42, 35 KN
Outremer 45, 25 KN
ORC 50, 25 KN
FastCat 435, 20 KN
Lagoon 440, 20 KN
Privilege Signature 510 (For reference) 13 KN
Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42 (For reference) 10 KN

Cheers.
Paul.

Thanks I was tempted to click, but knew it wasn't worth it in the long run.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote