Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06   #1

Does it exist?

Does anyone know of a catamaran design around 12m which does away with the idea of an enclosed saloon, in favour of a single large covered deck? Think day charter cats, (e.g. Seawind resort) but set up for private use. The plan is to use the boat as a base for exploring tropical remote areas of Australia, for up to a month or so at a time, with up to four aboard. Not really interested in the bells and whistles, I'd rather be able to hose the whole thing out than polish the fancy woodwork. I figure there is enough room in the hulls for beds, storage, head etc. I'd prefer reasonable load carrying capacity to speed, as I'd like to replace the dishwasher and oven etc with a decent sized and planing croc and hook proof tender, good solar system, and a watermaker. Don't want to go crazy with the folding stuff, but don't want a dog either!
domenica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11   #2

Re: Does it exist?

Like this?

Wharram

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01   #3
cruiser

Mainecat.

Maine Cat Catamarans - Maine Cat Catamarans
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Edel cats also made a few open bridge deck boats
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23   #5

Isnt an enclosed salon a single large covered deck? am I confused?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56   #6

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

The ones mentioned, such as:

and Lock Crowther made at least one: Shockwave, I think.

Found it:
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 15:00   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I think several of the cats used for sunset cruises in Key West, FL are very similar to what you're describing. If you search those out, and the pics looks good, you could ask 'em about makers...

-Chris
Old 03-04-2014, 16:41   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenica View Post
Does anyone know of a catamaran design around 12m which does away with the idea of an enclosed saloon, in favour of a single large covered deck? Think day charter cats, (e.g. Seawind resort) but set up for private use. The plan is to use the boat as a base for exploring tropical remote areas of Australia, for up to a month or so at a time, with up to four aboard. Not really interested in the bells and whistles, I'd rather be able to hose the whole thing out than polish the fancy woodwork. I figure there is enough room in the hulls for beds, storage, head etc. I'd prefer reasonable load carrying capacity to speed, as I'd like to replace the dishwasher and oven etc with a decent sized and planing croc and hook proof tender, good solar system, and a watermaker. Don't want to go crazy with the folding stuff, but don't want a dog either!
Believe you could do that using and modifying one of the the Australian designers. Simply a custom variation of the fitout. Might be some cost to modify drawings. Talk with Schonning, Nathan Stanton, Brady. plenty of others.

You are asking for a custom saloon/cockpit variation.

Bob Oram would have been worth talking to as be could have easily modified his drawings. Essentially Bradys powercats can be a single enclosed deck.

Dingy. Why not a croc proof Ripple tender.

Tender Catamaran Kits | Tender Catamaran Plans | Ripple Tenders
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:51   #9
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Look at this one
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04   #10

Mark Pescott. I think Ross Blair may have recently completed a 12.6 on the Sunshine Coast.
Mark Pescott Multihulls : Fireblade Series
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:39   #11

Thanks everyone who replied. The Mainecat looks nice. I've never seen one for sale this side of the pond though... Cheechako, sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking more of a completely "outdoors" common area, albeit at least partially enclosable with clears (dry deck at anchor), and large enough to take advantage of the lack of a superstructure. (what is windage like from a big horizontal bimini, anyway?) Downunder, that's pretty much what I thought, but I'm genuinely surprised its not a popular enough concept for at least a semi production build. After all, a lot of cruising gets done in the tropics, and inside is not the place to be... SoS thanks for that link, Boatsmith, obviously you are indeed just that!
domenica is offline   Reply With Quote