Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 23:04   #1

Boat: Antares 44i
Delivery skippers and/or professional crew ratings of 40-50' cruising cats

I'm in the market for a 40-50' liveaboard cruiser. I've done the desktop research, conducted structured interviews with owners, and would value feedback from professionals who sail for a living. If you had to chose a model you felt desirable from a comfort, performance, build quality and safety perspective, which model(s) would they be? Let's remove price from the equation for the time being. Conversely, are there any brands you would avoid? If you feel uncomfortable naming brands, perhaps you can prefer to "production cats", etc... Many thanks for weighing in! Am hoping this thread will help others searching.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:22   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Delivery skippers and/or professional crew ratings of 40-50' cruising cats

Bump!

Shame there has been no reply's - unbiased experience would be useful to everyone.
I guess they are out sailing
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:27   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

This is a sort of don't get employed again question. No one who does this for a living is going to put in print what they think of customers boats good or bad, could be seen as bias and will dissuade employers.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
This is a sort of don't get employed again question. No one who does this for a living is going to put in print what they think of customers boats good or bad, could be seen as bias and will dissuade employers.
Only for negative reviews.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have run Lagoons and FPs to 50'. I would not consider either of them "bad".

As someone who prefers blue water, my pet peeves are, no fiddles, sharp corners on the counters, and lack of handholds in both the salon and the stairs going down to the cabins.

Finally, the knucklehead who put the hard corner table in front of the couch- across from the entry door to the salon should be hit in the shins with a baseball/cricket bat. Just seems fair for all the times I have whacked my shins...

Topside, EVERY cat I have run benefits from a barber haul. I usually rig it through the beam cleat. Oh- and the refueling of older Lagoons is on the aft steps. Try refueling those babies from 5 gallon fuel cans while underway.

Seawind and PDQ are probably the fastest cats I have run. I even had a small rooster tail on the PDQ! But I would consider them more Spartan that Lagoons and FPs.

IMHO, the production quality of all the production boats is about the same. Even new builds should undergo a full acceptance survey to check tabbing, etcetra. To put it in monohull terms, a Jenneau is a well built boat. I like them and have delivered many of them. But the build quality is less than a Tartan,or a Hallberg-Rassy. This is reflected in the initial price, and value after 10 years of ownership.

None of the above issues are insurmountable. Depending on how the owner will use the boat, there are likely only problems for us delivery guys.

IMHO the big issue for new builds is a good pre-acceptance survey. Better to find a manufacturing defect before your hand over $1M, then after.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have run Lagoons and FPs to 50'. I would not consider either of them "bad".

As someone who prefers blue water, my pet peeves are, no fiddles, sharp corners on the counters, and lack of handholds in both the salon and the stairs going down to the cabins.

Finally, the knucklehead who put the hard corner table in front of the couch- across from the entry door to the salon should be hit in the shins with a baseball/cricket bat. Just seems fair for all the times I have whacked my shins...

Topside, EVERY cat I have run benefits from a barber haul. I usually rig it through the beam cleat. Oh- and the refueling of older Lagoons is on the aft steps. Try refueling those babies from 5 gallon fuel cans while underway.

Seawind and PDQ are probably the fastest cats I have run. I even had a small rooster tail on the PDQ! But I would consider them more Spartan that Lagoons and FPs.

IMHO, the production quality of all the production boats is about the same. Even new builds should undergo a full acceptance survey to check tabbing, etcetra. To put it in monohull terms, a Jenneau is a well built boat. I like them and have delivered many of them. But the build quality is less than a Tartan,or a Hallberg-Rassy. This is reflected in the initial price, and value after 10 years of ownership.

None of the above issues are insurmountable. Depending on how the owner will use the boat, there are likely only problems for us delivery guys.

IMHO the big issue for new builds is a good pre-acceptance survey. Better to find a manufacturing defect before your hand over $1M, then after.
Thanks for the input. When you mention PDQ, do you also include the current Antares 44?
Old 02-10-2020, 07:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I'm not suggesting anyone post their answers in a public forum like this. I was inviting structured interviews that would be kept in the strictest confidence if that's what contributors request.
Old 02-10-2020, 19:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Selawry View Post
Thanks for the input. When you mention PDQ, do you also include the current Antares 44?
No it was an older boat. Think she is a 36
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 19:24   #9

I’m a big fan of the older leopard 47s. Lived on one for 3 years and covered about 6000 miles per year in it.

Im not a fan of the more recent designs. I feel they are totally geared for the charter market.

They don’t make the 47s anymore. These were from when they were built and then sailed from Africa.

Tough boats in My opinion.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:17   #10

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

I have delivered a few of the major production cats on 1000+ mile ocean passages

F.p. belize 43 (puerto rico to fla -down wind)
Lagoon 45 (bahamas to tortola - all reaching)
Leapord 46 (aruba to fla)
Antares 44 (guatemala to grenada)

While none of these boats suit me personally, they were all fine for making these passages.

The leapord was the best sailing boat, the antares is a very well built boat.... as is true of most boats. They are good for the passages if you are...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, cruising, delivery, skipper