Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 20:59   #76

Re: Cross Trimarans

I assume it's the cruising version, berths in the wings but no big pilot house. One double on each side and small v-berth forward. Does the racing version have open wings?
admbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 21:35   #77

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

The 42 cruising actually has 4 doubles in the wings and a ketch rig usually though there are cutter options. Those are big boats, to windward I'd think you'd be looking at average monohull speeds though offwind they can go much faster. The R series Cross designs usually do have open wings, some of them more the vented wing deck style. I like the 44m which is a stretched, widened 42 with a cutter rig and smaller cabin for more performance. There is a 42 in Alabama that is or was for sale almost free but it'll need some elbow grease. Here is the 42.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cross 42 overview.jpg
Views:	4914
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	96249  
Cavalier MK2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 21:53   #78

Thanks, the pictures I got didn't show the aft berths and they didn't mention them, it is ketch rigged. The layout is very similar to the boat I'm looking at. They did add a sugar scoop so over all she's about 45 ft. So do you know anything about the boat in Alabama, contact info or link to an ad. Thanks again that really helps to visualize the layout.
Old 29-01-2015, 22:04   #79

1980 Cross Trimaran 42 sailboat for sale in Alabama | Boats & Yachts For Sale | Used Boats and New Boats For Sale

I don't know if this is still available but I'd be tempted if I was looking. Fortunately the Nicol keeps me off the streets.

These big tris really need a big genoa to get moving in lighter air., most people weigh them down filling up all the cubby holes, there is so much space things can add up without being obvious.
Old 29-01-2015, 22:19   #80

Thanks, I saws that boat two weeks ago ( I was there looking at a Crowther buccaneer 40, very much appealed to my inner 20 year old but just about big enough for two small people ) the new owner was putting her in the water that day, plans a 3 year rebuild. Would a really big drifter on a bow sprite get her moving? Most of the time it will just be me and a boat goddess on the boat but I have a lot of adventurous siblings that are already trying to sign on ! Having a cat in the past makes me very weight conscious, but with all that space it's going to be a never ending task to keep her light.
Old 29-01-2015, 22:35   #81

The biggest improvement is a folding prop and clean bottom., but a screecher/drifter would speed things up as would a chute off wind. See what the boat needs, check things out with an eye to the posted list.
Old 29-01-2015, 22:37   #82

Thanks
Old 15-03-2015, 07:10   #83

Hello,
I don't know if this is the rig place to ask this question, and if not could someone kindly direct men o the right place. My question is regarding Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter. I have trying to find and purchase the Nirman Cross trimaran plans, but the website no longer exists. Can someone help me get in touch with the right person or people to get plans for the Cross 26. Thank you.
hippiclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 11:51   #84
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Found this 2006 Cross 48:

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts

Canadian Dollars
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:28   #85

Just a quick note especially for the NW sailors. Years ago (1978?) I was racing a lot on mono's and on one race out of Seattle we were racing up to Sequim and back. Typical Mono as a crew member I was sitting on the weather side while tilting 15 deg or so. Legs outside the life lines. We might have been doing 5-7 knots?, weather gear">foul weather gear on etc.. Well out of no where a tri (Piver? not in the race) comes up along side of us with three of four guys in tee shirts drinking beer and music blasting, sailing level, they just passed us by like we were tied to a piling. Of course all our guys swear, laugh at etc etc.. But somewhere inside me the flame was lit. I immediately subscribed to Multihulls mag. and later bought a Gemini. Later had several articles in Multihull mag published regarding adventures on Leeway. Boatless now in Phoenix but charter every year in the BVI's and looking towards Bahamas next spring.
These Cross / Piver discussions sure bring back some great memories..
boga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:03   #86

Boat: Norman Cross Trimaran, 46'

Hey all. Hoping someone here has some advice for me. We're doing a haul out to the dry for a survey tomorrow on a 46 Cross Tri that I'm purchasing.

We (and the boatyard) are unsure where to pick her up at. Any advice from someone who's done this before?
Serapium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 06:30   #87

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapium View Post
Hey all. Hoping someone here has some advice for me. We're doing a haul out to the dry for a survey tomorrow on a 46 Cross Tri that I'm purchasing.

We (and the boatyard) are unsure where to pick her up at. Any advice from someone who's done this before?
Place the straps so they are where the cross beams/structural bulkheads connect to the outer hulls. The main hull will take care of itself as long as the straps don't interfere with the running gear.
I picked up my Cross 12m that way, both with the straps running straight side to side, and once with the straps X'ed. Both worked well.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:01   #88

Thanks to those who gave advice and confirmed the haul out method (both here and via email) . We put the straps in line with the main beams and everything worked well. Survey is over, and I'm now the new owner of Southern Cross, a 1975 46'.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:03   #89

Well, I'm the proud new owner of Southern Cross, a 46' 1975 Cross Tri As a side note, I was pleased to find the complete set of plans used for her original construction on board!
Old 15-03-2019, 18:33   #90

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Has anyone seen a Cross 40R with a flush deck?

That appears to be what I will soon be looking at. The flush deck is a bit maddening because I am searching for a potential liveaboard and fast cruiser, but if there is no standing headroom or view out of the main cabin, it just won't do.

Supposedly built in 1986 in Melbourne, FL and the third tri constructed by that builder. The hulls are foam cored but the bulkheads and deck are ply cored (?). The current owner added the rigid cockpit enclosure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cross 40R bow.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	188123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross 40R stern.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	188124  

Name:	Cross 40R deck.jpg