Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59   #1

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Cross Rudder

Hello all,
I am worried about the rudder in my Cross 38. It has been in the boat since 1968. I have had to replace several bolts in the main beams that have failed. The previous owner had to replace the chain plates and attendant fastners from fatigue and corrosion. Makes me worry about the rudder. Does any one have any idea how these rudders were built. An alternative is an out board rudder. Several Crosses were built with them. I would have to figure a way to use my Raymarine under deck pilot with and out board rudder. Any suggestions?

Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:10   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
I would have to figure a way to use my Raymarine under deck pilot with and out board rudder.
How are you going to control the outboard rudders? Wire, tillers?
Old 08-09-2010, 23:28   #3

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Cross rudder

I would use a pull pull system for rudder control. I notice the Searunners have a control arm that goes thru the aft bulkhead maybe a system like that would work.
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 20:27   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I assume the existing rudder is inboard with a shaft coming up through a shaft log, then thru the quadrant. You can pull the rudder at your next haulout, or sometimes you can pull it out in the water if the shaft log is well above the waterline. With the rudder on sawhorses, drill some holes all the way through, just aft of the rudder shaft. If you hit metal, STOP DRILLING. This will tell you if your have a wooden rudder, solid fiberglass, or foam core, as well as if there is seawater infiltration. If things are wet, you may be getting some damage to the rudder straps internally. Or, you can just bite the bullet and remove all of the rudder material, leaving only the rudder stock and straps, then rebuild it after confirming there is no damage to the stock itself. It sucks, but it has to be done for you to have confidence the rudder will last another forty years. Or, go for an outboard rudder. Easier to maintain, greater steering power than a balanced rudder, and not too difficult to build.

The Searunners use a short (one foot long) stainless tiller arm, slightly offset, that connects to either a push-pull cable. or, in my case, an Edson pedestal, monster sheaves and Amsteel synthetic cable connected to the tiller arm end at the back of the sterncastle.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder