Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 17:30   #91

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Corsair Tri’s - Coastal Cruising and the odd crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Attachment 217211
Just for you Thomm!
Nice.

So I finished the maintenance on my outboard this week. I had the boat backed in to the slip but we have NE winds tomorrow so I turned it around but I gave my small 5 hp outboard a short test run up the creek first

Then I spotted this cool looking tri 25-30' parked along a dock and I thought we'll that's more like what I'm used to so I went in the shallows and checked it out

it wasn't quite what I wanted with it's huge windows/ports but then I thought in the bay and within 50 miles offshore in the ocean an F25C or something similar might make coastal cruising a bit more fun

This guy moved up here with my son in 2016 from New Orleans. The poor guy was stuck barking at dogs etc all day on the balcony of my son's apartment. Now he's in Lab heaven on the Eastern Shore VA in the country between the bay and the ocean

He thinks he's all that here. He starts freaking out as soon as he smells salt water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user69001_pic31749_1583189712.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	217213   Click image for larger version

Name:	34893312_10204807707589331_508948925881778176_o.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	217214  

Name:	Mitchell on Break.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	217215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell on the Farm Road.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	217216  

Name:	Mitch at Hackneck.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	217218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	217219  

Name:	Mitchell 2018.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	217220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell at the dock.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	217221  

Name:	Mitchell onboard (early Spring).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	217222  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 19:43   #92

Quote:
Attachment 217211
Just for you Thomm!
SMJ what boat do you have? Pls share pic of whole boat.
Sailing Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 23:57   #93

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Yes, but I had to walk to school in the snow with bare feet and just my draws on.......
And I am sure it was up hill both coming and going.

I have to say some of the posts I have seen in this thread have me wondering if I should laugh or cry.

I looked long and hard at several fboats before I bought SMJ's old Seawind. I also have probably fifty years of monohull sailing. Maybe more to the point I crewed on a monohull in the last Baja Ha-Ha; something like 400 NM down wind. It was a Catalina 34 and it was one of the most uncomfortable boats I have ever been on. I was stuck in the aft cabin, not the best place for a comfortable ride. This run is historically all down wind with a following sea. The problem with the Catalina is that I would guess the boat probably jibed a hundred times on the run and maybe five them were intentional. No way the auto pilot could have handled that. There was a shifty wind and a couple of times thunderstorms altered the wave direction for a while which resulted in someone at the helm almost all the time.

There was an F9RX that raced and they were blasting along with a small hank on jib and nothing else running away from much bigger monohulls with huge spinnakers. I talked to the guys on it at Bahia Tortugas and they reported it was a very comfortable ride. The only boats that had any luck with auto pilot were the big sixty foot cats.

So I am not buying that a 27 foot monohull is somehow magically able to easily sail in conditions that would be impossible for an fboat a little bigger to sail in.

As an aside I have known SMJ for not quite ten years and know how many miles/hours he and his lady have cruised. I doubt most of the posters in this thread can come close to matching his numbers.

Just so we are all on the same page here is a vid I made of what happened at Bahia Tortugas. No music to prevent copyright violation.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 03:38   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
So I am not buying that a 27 foot monohull is somehow magically able to easily sail in conditions that would be impossible for an fboat a little bigger to sail in.

As an aside I have known SMJ for not quite ten years and know how many miles/hours he and his lady have cruised. I doubt most of the posters in this thread can come close to matching his numbers.
I never have quite gotten the deal with the "numbers sailed" That to me is the boring part.

Your sails are up and set, autopilot engaged, then you just sort of hangout and navigate a bit and watch the weather (and the scenery if there is any)

Whereas in racing you are always looking for a bit more speed. Making slight adjustments, and steering the boat for best performance and watching the competition if possible

Also the magic of a 27' Folkboat Style Monohull is that its proven itself over the years to be a very seaworthy vessel. And to be able to buy one for $2,000-$5,000 to see if you like cruising on slow boats is quite nice as well since many spend that much just for new sails or electronics

Plus the boat is a beast

Also Mobjack Bay is a great anchorage. not a lot of dancing but there is great scenery and fishing

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00186.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	217252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00072.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	217253  

Old 13-06-2020, 04:27   #95

Quote:
Attachment 217211
Just for you Thomm!
I think you need some background music to go with that picture....."with the birds I'll share this lonely view ....."

Old 13-06-2020, 05:26   #96
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Savana View Post
SMJ what boat do you have? Pls share pic of whole boat.

It’s a TRT 1200.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	217254  
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 05:49   #97

Ok thx I dont know them hence not being able to identify it on your pic.

Cool boat :-)
Sailing Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 06:57   #98
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Corsair Tri’s - Coastal Cruising and the odd crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
And I am sure it was up hill both coming and going.

I have to say some of the posts I have seen in this thread have me wondering if I should laugh or cry.

I looked long and hard at several fboats before I bought SMJ's old Seawind. I also have probably fifty years of monohull sailing. Maybe more to the point I crewed on a monohull in the last Baja Ha-Ha; something like 400 NM down wind. It was a Catalina 34 and it was one of the most uncomfortable boats I have ever been on. I was stuck in the aft cabin, not the best place for a comfortable ride. This run is historically all down wind with a following sea. The problem with the Catalina is that I would guess the boat probably jibed a hundred times on the run and maybe five them were intentional. No way the auto pilot could have handled that. There was a shifty wind and a couple of times thunderstorms altered the wave direction for a while which resulted in someone at the helm almost all the time.

There was an F9RX that raced and they were blasting along with a small hank on jib and nothing else running away from much bigger monohulls with huge spinnakers. I talked to the guys on it at Bahia Tortugas and they reported it was a very comfortable ride. The only boats that had any luck with auto pilot were the big sixty foot cats.

Just so we are all on the same page here is a vid I made of what happened at Bahia Tortugas. No music to prevent copyright violation.

The Catalina 34 or the F9RX for the downwind sail.......jeez that would be a hard choice.[emoji13][emoji13].
Ok, I gotta go with the F9RX[emoji1303]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 09:17   #99

Ya think? [emoji2]
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 13:45   #100

So I was down at Cobb's Marina today checking out my friends Westsail 32 that he has for sale and there were two Corsairs there.

A small 750 and one near 30-31'

Both boats look awesome and I can see that they would be great to cross the bay fast under the right conditions. Also, you can take them apart in late Fall and they can be stored in your back yard rather than pay the slip fee over the Winter.

I may have to keep my eye out for one if it comes up for sale

In the wrong conditions though, they might be destroyed.

They are basically glorified beach cats.

They would never stand up to the pounding when the weather got ugly in the lower bay or the ocean.

I'd certainly like to have one though for that downwind run North this time of year but not when we have the heavy NE Winds and we get those closely spaced 5'-7' steep waves
Old 14-06-2020, 13:53   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So I was down at Cobb's Marina today checking out my friends Westsail 32 that he has for sale and there were two Corsairs there.

A small 750 and one near 30-31'

Both boats look awesome and I can see that they would be great to cross the bay fast under the right conditions. Also, you can take them apart in late Fall and they can be stored in your back yard rather than pay the slip fee over the Winter.

I may have to keep my eye out for one if it comes up for sale

In the wrong conditions though, they might be destroyed.

They are basically glorified beach cats.

They would never stand up to the pounding when the weather got ugly in the lower bay or the ocean.

I'd certainly like to have one though for that downwind run North this time of year but not when we have the heavy NE Winds and we get those closely spaced 5'-7' steep waves

So, you’re an expert on Corsairs because you saw two of them at a marina? Oh yeah, you used to race beach cats.........
Old 14-06-2020, 14:00   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
So, you’re an expert on Corsairs because you saw two of them at a marina? Oh yeah, you used to race beach cats.........
Well, I just looked at a couple more online and you cannot stand up down below so now I don't want one.

Plus, like I said, they aren't built to handle rough seas especially offshore. That's quite obvious at a glance.

As far as me being an expert, I'm not, but I have spent many years on the water and on boats so I know a little after 58 years of it.

And btw, I didn't just race beach cats with the locals, I raced them against some of the best beach cat sailors in North America, and I've broken a few boats and one carbon fiber mast

I first steered a small 16' Whirlwind 10 miles at 6 years old while my parents and friends sat in the back and drank beer. We were just above idle but it was great!

That would have been early 1960's and I bought my own Whirlwind in 1980

Photo is an example not the boat

And since you brought up beach cats:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whirlwind.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	217347   Click image for larger version

Name:	whirlwind1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	217348  

Old 14-06-2020, 15:58   #103

No offense meant, but it sounds like you’re a legend in your own mind![emoji15][emoji2]
Old 14-06-2020, 16:09   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
No offense meant, but it sounds like you’re a legend in your own mind![emoji15][emoji2]
We'll sometimes you have to have a big ego to get anywhere in this world especially if you come from an area that was totally isolated from the rest of the world until the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was completed in 1964.

We talked differently with a major accent similar to Tangier Islanders but not as bad

My Mom was one of the few working women there (she was an RN) and she worked with doctors from "across the bay" while most all the other women were stay at home Mom's and wives of farmers and watermen,

My ego most probably came from her and the things she said etc. She always questioned the dumber doctors and their opinions

I was alone a lot and on my own at age 10 or so and became somewhat of a hoodlum.

You crossed the bay on the ferry back then.

Very strange back then to have a working Mom that made more than your Dad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little..._Charles_Ferry

Old 14-06-2020, 17:39   #105

I get it now. You don’t know anything about Coraairs, but because of your big ego, you feel like you have to share your opinion. Sounds kind of like a troll to me. You also have no desire to cruise, as you can’t slow down and stop working. Hey, I really appreciate it, somebody’s gotta pay for my Social Security. So, again no disrespect intended, why do you spend so much time on a cruising forum?

Tags
corsair, cruising