Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 10:32   #1

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat
Which Hydraulic System for Catamaran refit?

46' Crowther hydraulic system has finally and fully failed. Was losing too much hjydraulic fluid daily and finally pulled old Vetus manaul/hydraulic pump MTP52.
Anyone have advice on what replacement system works well for hyraulic rebuild?

Vetus (somewhat) has a replacement pump HTP4210r. The pump is small and has only a 3/4 aluminum spindle (with a funky 1"12 taper that only fits Vetus wheel. NOTE: Vetus wheels for larger boats are back-ordered in Holland for up to 12 weeks). Old Vetus pump was 1" brass spindle - seems more durable and fit my old Manson wheel 1" id.
I would like a pump of quality with a 1" steel or at least bronze spindle. Hate to say it but price is becoming a non-issue as the season is flying by and we are stuck on the mooring until steering fixed.

Old pump is pretty trashed - still hoping one more place can fix the leaing but they have said get a new system or "sleep with one eye open the remainder of the pump's uncertain life." Not doing that - safety first and in my experience, things break on boats when you need them most.
So question: Any cat owners with simple hydraulic system that hey like? Brand? Model of steering? At this oint I am willing to pay once for a full professional rebuild but I really want a system that others find works well.

Anybody have a hydraulic steering system on a cat that they would recommend? Maybe not hydraulic? (two spade rudders, one helm, simple simple simple) Thanks for the advice and opinions. Buying the mystery system/solution this week.
JimmyDarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:14   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Which Hydraulic System for Catamaran refit?

Ive had a Capilano 1250 for 20 years now, it was installed in the original build. Its been trouble free. A few years ago it developed a minor leak around the shaft, not even enough to be a functional issue, just a little fluid seeping by occassionally. So, I took that as a sign that maintenance would be due soon. I bought a seals kit, tore it down....and found nothing to do except replace the 17 year old o-ring on the shaft. I replaced all the seals anyway, but it was in good condition.

I have SeaStar rams (1 per rudder, not necessary but in theory gives some redundancy). I have had to replace seals on them several times, but thats it, just routine maintance with no major problems over 20 years.

https://images.app.goo.gl/dNaeEHn3kPcWuUfe7
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:24   #3

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat
Re: Which Hydraulic System for Catamaran refit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive had a Capilano 1250 for 20 years now, it was installed in the original build. Its been trouble free. A few years ago it developed a minor leak around the shaft, not even enough to be a functional issue, just a little fluid seeping by occassionally. So, I took that as a sign that maintenance would be due soon. I bought a seals kit, tore it down....and found nothing to do except replace the 17 year old o-ring on the shaft. I replaced all the seals anyway, but it was in good condition.

I have SeaStar rams (1 per rudder, not necessary but in theory gives some redundancy). I have had to replace seals on them several times, but thats it, just routine maintance with no major problems over 20 years.

https://images.app.goo.gl/dNaeEHn3kPcWuUfe7
Thank you. The Seastar/Baystar line is one I am considering. Would like to keep it single brand system unless I hire a pro to co form compatible pieces. Will check out Capilano today.
JimmyDarci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, refit