Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2019, 21:55   #16

Re: Considering new Seawind 1260

As an ex Seawind owner, as well as many other catamarans, if I had the money and the opportunity I wouldn’t hesitate at buying a Perry- hands down!
Obviously if you are planning on pouring a large amount into your purchase, I would suggest you jump on a plane and travel over to East Coast Australia and explore the market. There are many different cat manufacturers there, and plenty of good second hand boats for you to explore regardless of whether you are buying new or second hand.
The one thing I really like about the Aussie builds is that since about the late 80s they always use epoxy resin in their construction whereas the cats out of South Africa still use polyester in different forms - even to this day.
Appreciate I am an Aussie, now 70yo and live in Knysna South Africa and have had the opportunity to explore the construction methods in both countries.....give me an all epoxy built catamaran anytime.
Cheers
Old 28-02-2019, 22:35   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Sail & Motor Yacht Catamarans, NEEL Trimarans, ILIAD Catamarans

Here is the review of a similar size boat.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...ajot-astrea-42
Old 01-03-2019, 01:02   #18

I am a 1260 owner and very happy with boat. We like to sail and Seawind’s are excellent combo of comfort and speed. The company is great to deal with and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another. The galley down is no issue because it frees up so much space with trifold door open. Besides mostly cook on BBQ outside when in warm weather. Comfortable interior for 4to 5 adults ,plenty of storage, once you access starboard engine lots of room to work, so not really an issue . Took delivery in Vietnam and went on 2 month cruise without any issues, they delivered us a boat ready to go Happy to discuss details with you , PM would be fine
Old 01-03-2019, 02:34   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull Solutions View Post

That’s the one that came second to the Seawind 1260 in the Cruising World boat of the year.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:16   #20

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull Solutions View Post

I’m guessing an Astrea 42 is @ $600k+ delivered to the East Coast, USA. How does that compare to a 1260?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09   #21

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I'd appreciate your email. I'm not sure what our timing will be if we move forward. Originally, we were going to wait all of our boys are in college so we can take longer trips but we may accelerate the plan.

The Seawind options list is daunting, and not extremely descriptive. I was able to sail Paseo, a 1260 based in San Diego right now, and it has some customizations beyond the options list that are appealing. Lots of decisions to make.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:11   #22

Lee, the quote I saw for a fully decked out 1260, with additional customizations (scuba dive compressor, 120 & 240 shore power capability, expanded solar, etc... delivered to the West Coast US was $600k.
Old 01-03-2019, 17:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrtaylormd View Post
I am a 1260 owner and very happy with boat. We like to sail and Seawind’s are excellent combo of comfort and speed. The company is great to deal with and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another. The galley down is no issue because it frees up so much space with trifold door open. Besides mostly cook on BBQ outside when in warm weather. Comfortable interior for 4to 5 adults ,plenty of storage, once you access starboard engine lots of room to work, so not really an issue . Took delivery in Vietnam and went on 2 month cruise without any issues, they delivered us a boat ready to go Happy to discuss details with you , PM would be fine
Curious if you paid the "list" price for your 1260 (and options) or whether the dealer/mfg are open to negotiation?

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2019, 20:34   #24

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cdad View Post
Thanks, Bill. Yes, I'd appreciate your email. I'm not sure what our timing will be if we move forward. Originally, we were going to wait all of our boys are in college so we can take longer trips but we may accelerate the plan.

The Seawind options list is daunting, and not extremely descriptive. I was able to sail Paseo, a 1260 based in San Diego right now, and it has some customizations beyond the options list that are appealing. Lots of decisions to make.
Hi, my email address is jenain1999@yahoo.com, and I can also put you in touch with the Californian owner of the Seawind that I have just delivered.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:12   #25

Quote:
Lee, the quote I saw for a fully decked out 1260, with additional customizations (scuba dive compressor, 120 & 240 shore power capability, expanded solar, etc... delivered to the West Coast US was $600k.
ZOWEE! The industry keeps heading in the direction of the top 10% of earners. No wonder we can’t get young people into the sport.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:34   #26

At $600k I,d be far more interested in a near new Perry...and save $200k....
Jeff
Old 03-03-2019, 09:16   #27

An 11 year old Perry Prestige 43 in excellent condition just sold for about $500k in a matter of days. If there's a similar boat out there for $400k, I'd love to know about it.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:14   #28

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
3cdad,

I'm happy to share a Seawind link privately with you that affords far more detail on each and every 1260 option, including lengthy written descriptions and photos. It's a new "build your Seawind" page that constantly updates pricing as you check or uncheck options.

Honestly, you should be able to get very well equipped for under $550K landed on the West Coast (shipped, commissioned and handed over), but I think the builder page will be a good resource for you. Send me a PM when you have a moment and I'll share the link with you.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:48   #29

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
ZOWEE! The industry keeps heading in the direction of the top 10% of earners. No wonder we can’t get young people into the sport.
Absolutely agreed.

I said good bye already to the purchase of a brand new yacht, and even not shure if i want to afford a pre owned one...
Old 04-03-2019, 03:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Absolutely agreed.

I said good bye already to the purchase of a brand new yacht, and even not shure if i want to afford a pre owned one...
Agreed; that’s what we’re currently doing/wrestling with as well.

Robwrongshoes: I’d urge you to not take the Seawind conversation offline; I can’t speak for all, but am still interested in the boat and hearing what you (and the pricing page) have to offer.

It’s been a favorite of mine since the 1st one showed up at the Annapolis show many years ago. As my wife said last night, what if a windfall comes our way, and there just isn’t a better boat for us - I could probably get used to the galley down.

Our Corsair dealer said we could probably get into the boat “comfortably” for about $550k.

Regards,
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind, wind