Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 18:25   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Considering new Seawind 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Looks better though and more headroom. The 1370 is more or less the template future seawind will follow.
Yeah, nah. Each boat will be thought about as its unique position deserves. But each boat will above all else be a sailing boat for real sailors.
Old 07-12-2020, 19:22   #107

Just an observation of every manufacturer in any field out there. Seawind themselves used the same language for the 1160 1260 1190 1250.

1370 is the new language. But hey anything can happen.
Old 10-12-2020, 15:02   #108

Boat: Catamaran between 38 and 46 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Donít get me wrong the 1260 is a great boat. A true seawind, More deck clearance than a 1600 if you believe the seawind specs. I guess you inherit some flaws when you remodel someone elseís design. Like a 911 one drools over the latest and greatest but would be more than happy in a well maintained 964.

Adding a reverse bow to the current design seems like the wrong move. The hulls will need to be flatter on top like the 1370 for it to look good. The cabin top would also need to modernize a-bit to work with the reverse bow. So a major redesign is needed anyway.

I guess you are seeing new 1260 owners join the owners FB page? A few 1370 buyers here said they were initially going to buy the 1260 when the surprise 1370 dropped. The 1370 really showed where Seawind is headed. Eventually the lineup will share the same design language. If seawind can sell 30 new 1280s instead of 10 1260s then it does make sense.

Anyway again love the 1260/1160. Your 1160 is basically a singer Porsche. A bit of a classic design but fresh from the factory.
I would say the 1190 is closer to a Singer 911 than a 1160, speaking strictly on a performance level.
Old 11-01-2021, 21:35   #109

I've written to Seawind using different emails that I could find online requesting a price and options list. Written 4 times and received not a single reply. If this is an example of customer service I would be concerned to buy one.

Writing to Outremer now, see if I get a reply and if they get a sale.
Old 11-01-2021, 22:03   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles72 View Post
I've written to Seawind using different emails that I could find online requesting a price and options list. Written 4 times and received not a single reply. If this is an example of customer service I would be concerned to buy one.

Same hear. I've emailed seawind and multihull central in Australia, neither ever replied. I guess they don't think you are serious unless you give them a call? Easier if you are local. having 50+ boats pre ordered gives you that Option I suppose.

In contrast when I contacted Sirius, boreal and Alubat factories they got back to me right away. Sirius went as far as to mail me paper brochures with DVDs of photos of the build process while I was in the states. All at their expense and using DHL express. The team at Sirius is amazing.

Neel France also hasn't replied my emails but Multihull solutions in Australia have been very helpful.
Old 11-01-2021, 22:05   #111

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:

Biggies, sorry to hear you haven’’t received a response. I’d be happy to send specs, pricing, options and build schedule availability to you. Just send me your email address via PM and I’ll get back to you by tomorrow morning.
Old 11-01-2021, 22:45   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cdad View Post
Thanks in advance for any feedback to help us make an informed decision....

I am considering placing an order for a new Seawind 1260. I've also researched FP's line, the Antares, Perry 43, and others. All are fine boats, and they each address some parts of our "wish list" in different ways. The Perry 43 looks awesome, but so few are available any more, and I have not had a chance to see one in person yet. Antares also looks like an amazing boat for long passages and year round living but we are not sure yet how often we will be crossing oceans versus doing coastal cruising in the Sea of Cortez & Caribbean. Right now, I envision more of the latter while our boys are still in school. When new, the FP line is definitely appealing to my wife for it's livability at anchor. We've sailed a Saba 50 and Helia, and enjoyed the time aboard. I have concerns about the FPs build quality and their performance under sail. The Saba we were on was less than a year old but there were already some cosmetic issues that would drive me nuts (for example, corrosion on some of the interior chrome hardware).

Stating the obvious, selecting the best boat seems to be about determining which priorities you are willing to sacrifice for other priorities. And, the tradeoff often seems to come down to performance under sail vs livability. Both are important to us, although we are not yet sure which is more important.

I am leaning towards the 1260 for the following reasons:

1) I am impressed with the quality of build vs what I've seen from FP and other production cats. I sailed a 1260 recently, and it was solid. Very rigid. None of the creaking or flexing that I sensed on other boats.

2) It appears to be able to point higher than other cats that I've sailed.

3) The layout of the lines, along with the self tacking jib, and the dual helm, makes it easier to sail single handed when necessary.

4) Galley down makes good use of space.

5) Seawind's trifold door creates a very large living space for a 41' cat.

6) Engine access is through the interior, eliminating the possibility of salt water entering the compartment through a rear hatch.

7) It was more fun to sail than the FPs.

8) Significantly less freeboard on the 1260 vs FP.

9) Seawinds appear to retain their resale value better than FP.

10) They don't waste space (IMO) on 3-4 heads. For owner's versions, it doesn't make sense to me to have more than one head in each hull.

The FP layouts are definitely appealing. At anchor, it would probably be more livable and able to handle guests more comfortably. I'm not sure about FP's elevated helm vs the cockpit helm of the Seawind but having lounging areas below the boom, next to the helm, is attractive. Of course, the price for that is either less sail area or a higher mast. Seawind's interior is definitely more spartan than FP.

The Perry 43 and Antares are a little bigger, and their layouts are also appealing.

Reading through posts on these forums, there appears to be a lot of FP owners who have problems with warranty issues. Of course, people probably only post stuff when they have problems, and there are a lot more FP owners out there than Seawind.

Probably my biggest hesitance with the Seawind is the size - wish it was a few feet longer. Most of the time, it will just be my wife and I, plus one or more of our teenage sons. But we also intend to have friends join us from time to time. Things will get a little tight when they do. But I don't want to buy a bigger boat for those relatively few occasions when we need it, and then deal with the compromises from having a bigger boat for the majority of the time when we don't need it.

Being a new model, there are not any used 1260s available so we'd have to bit the bullet and buy new. Fully configured with the options we would want, it looks to price out at $550k to $600k. Much less than a new FP 45 I assume, or a new Antares 44. But more than a used Perry 43.

Appreciate any feedback on things we are missing in our analysis, or on other boats that we should consider. My comments about FP may not be on point, and I certainly didn't intend to offend any FP owners/loyalists out there. Obviously, their volume speaks to the fact that they are addressing the market well.

Thanks!

If you are attracted to the Seawind 1260, you should also consider the Balance 442. https://balancecatamarans.com/our-models/442-2/
It is also a strong, performance/luxury bluewater catamaran. I'm looking at the 482 (I like more space...) as being second on my list.
I believe that after adding all the options you need to add to the Seawind, you will find very comparitive with the "off the line" Balance.
If you aren't interested in dagger boards, I think they can put keels on.
There are many Balance videos on YouTube to check out.

PS: I don't work for Balance, I've spoken in detail to the owner, Phil Berman,
and find his line of boats very attractive.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:10   #113

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

Quote:

I am not sure where you are located but I would reach out to a Seawind Broker.
If you don't know of one I would recommend Rob or Scott at Wright Yachts in Seattle. sales@wrightyachtsales.com
Old 13-01-2021, 14:52   #114

I'm a newbie, but still I wonder why not buying a 1160 lite. Way less headaches, and way cheaper. I've learned this much, prices are basic, sailaway tag will be higher. Not too long ago, I was told that the sailaway cost of a 1160 lite would be around $450k in the US. Parts and maintenance for Seawinds could be expensive 'round here too. But if you love it, and want it so much, then yes, way better than the mainstream cats according to others' experiences.
Old 13-01-2021, 14:55   #115
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I'm a newbie, but still I wonder why not buying a 1160 lite. Way less headaches, and way cheaper. I've learned this much, prices are basic, sailaway tag will be higher. Not too long ago, I was told that the sailaway cost of a 1160 lite would be around $450k in the US. Parts and maintenance for Seawinds could be expensive 'round here too. But if you love it, and want it so much, then yes, way better than the mainstream cats according to others' experiences.

How are parts and maintenance for Seawindís higher than other cats?
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind, wind