Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 10:15   #1

Considering new Seawind 1260

Thanks in advance for any feedback to help us make an informed decision....

I am considering placing an order for a new Seawind 1260. I've also researched FP's line, the Antares, Perry 43, and others. All are fine boats, and they each address some parts of our "wish list" in different ways. The Perry 43 looks awesome, but so few are available any more, and I have not had a chance to see one in person yet. Antares also looks like an amazing boat for long passages and year round living but we are not sure yet how often we will be crossing oceans versus doing coastal cruising in the Sea of Cortez & Caribbean. Right now, I envision more of the latter while our boys are still in school. When new, the FP line is definitely appealing to my wife for it's livability at anchor. We've sailed a Saba 50 and Helia, and enjoyed the time aboard. I have concerns about the FPs build quality and their performance under sail. The Saba we were on was less than a year old but there were already some cosmetic issues that would drive me nuts (for example, corrosion on some of the interior chrome hardware).

Stating the obvious, selecting the best boat seems to be about determining which priorities you are willing to sacrifice for other priorities. And, the tradeoff often seems to come down to performance under sail vs livability. Both are important to us, although we are not yet sure which is more important.

I am leaning towards the 1260 for the following reasons:

1) I am impressed with the quality of build vs what I've seen from FP and other production cats. I sailed a 1260 recently, and it was solid. Very rigid. None of the creaking or flexing that I sensed on other boats.

2) It appears to be able to point higher than other cats that I've sailed.

3) The layout of the lines, along with the self tacking jib, and the dual helm, makes it easier to sail single handed when necessary.

4) Galley down makes good use of space.

5) Seawind's trifold door creates a very large living space for a 41' cat.

6) Engine access is through the interior, eliminating the possibility of salt water entering the compartment through a rear hatch.

7) It was more fun to sail than the FPs.

8) Significantly less freeboard on the 1260 vs FP.

9) Seawinds appear to retain their resale value better than FP.

10) They don't waste space (IMO) on 3-4 heads. For owner's versions, it doesn't make sense to me to have more than one head in each hull.

The FP layouts are definitely appealing. At anchor, it would probably be more livable and able to handle guests more comfortably. I'm not sure about FP's elevated helm vs the cockpit helm of the Seawind but having lounging areas below the boom, next to the helm, is attractive. Of course, the price for that is either less sail area or a higher mast. Seawind's interior is definitely more spartan than FP.

The Perry 43 and Antares are a little bigger, and their layouts are also appealing.

Reading through posts on these forums, there appears to be a lot of FP owners who have problems with warranty issues. Of course, people probably only post stuff when they have problems, and there are a lot more FP owners out there than Seawind.

Probably my biggest hesitance with the Seawind is the size - wish it was a few feet longer. Most of the time, it will just be my wife and I, plus one or more of our teenage sons. But we also intend to have friends join us from time to time. Things will get a little tight when they do. But I don't want to buy a bigger boat for those relatively few occasions when we need it, and then deal with the compromises from having a bigger boat for the majority of the time when we don't need it.

Being a new model, there are not any used 1260s available so we'd have to bit the bullet and buy new. Fully configured with the options we would want, it looks to price out at $550k to $600k. Much less than a new FP 45 I assume, or a new Antares 44. But more than a used Perry 43.

Appreciate any feedback on things we are missing in our analysis, or on other boats that we should consider. My comments about FP may not be on point, and I certainly didn't intend to offend any FP owners/loyalists out there. Obviously, their volume speaks to the fact that they are addressing the market well.

Thanks!
Old 27-02-2019, 21:20   #2

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Re: Considering new Seawind 1260

I agree that the 1260 looks good on paper. I've only been on the 1000 and 1160, but liked the 1160. Totally different animal than the FP/Lagoon, but like the helm position for real distance cruising - both protected and right in the social area + nice forward visibility while on watch.

Have you considered the 1190 and adding some options to make it a bit more comfortable. Might be better to start with a faster lighter boat - even if you loose some performance with a few creature comforts - you may end up better than the 1260. Daggerboards really do a lot for sailing performance. It looks like the same molds, so would be curious what the actual differences are in the living space between the 1190 and 1260.

Would also be curious if they'd put small diesels in the 1190 sport. Or if you really wanted to get creative - put in one diesel with big alternators and one electric drive. The big alternators on your main diesel could be used to charge batteries or drive your electric drive. Put in an induction cook top and you could get rid of propane. You also wouldn't need a massive battery bank with all that charging capacity on the main diesel.

Where will your new boat be based?
Old 27-02-2019, 22:05   #3

Good friends of ours have the 1250. They sailed with us to Vanuatu.

Really nice boat, sails well, has a very solid feel to it, more clearance than the 1160, more space, probably better carrying capacity too.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger, another very good Aussie made offshore boat is the Lightwave 45. Again, very solid, huge bridgedeck clearance, plenty of room. Possibly a fair bit more pricey than a Seawind though.

John McEnroe
Old 28-02-2019, 03:12   #4

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I agree with much of what you said; the FPs and Lagoons seemed a bit less solid to us, which led to our preference for a Leopard.

We really liked the 1260; the build is solid, and there are several innovative features. For us, the galley down killed the deal. My wife hates it, and I do appreciate a galley up as part of the social environment (we both like to cook).

I also do not enjoy lifting panels or bunks every day to do oil checks and/or maintenance; I like having access outside.

I found your comment about the helm position interesting. We did not feel as comfortable with the 1260 helm, having to peer through the saloon to see out. The dual helm is nice though, and I realize you can sit up off the helm seat to see alongside, but the raised helm station with a double seat is hard to beat.

Again, everything is opinion based, but it's definitely a nice boat. If it had a galley down, it would still be on our list.

Nice problems to have, deciding on which boat to go with! ;-)

Regards,
Old 28-02-2019, 07:44   #5

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. The boat will initially be based on the US West Coast but we will probably move it to the Sea of Cortez eventually. From there, who knows?

Galley down or galley up is definitely a debatable issue. The attraction of galley down for me is not so much the galley itself but rather the fact that galley down layouts seem to make a better use of space because they usually reduce the number of heads to one in each hull (which, IMO, is all one needs on a boat in this range). Most galley up models put two heads in the non-owner hull side, which, to me, seems like a waste (and another source of odors and maintenance).

The helm location is another debatable issue. I have not sailed much in extremely heavy seas or in foul weather so I am concerned about being lulled into complacency about the value of a more protected helm.

Re: engine maintenance... it's a good point. Raising a cockpit hatch is definitely easier than lifting a bed, although only one of the 1260 engines is under a bed. The other is accessed through a doorway in the owner's shower. But I also see an advantage of keeping the engine access further away from possible salt water ingress.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 28-02-2019, 08:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cdad View Post
T...........................snip...............

Re: engine maintenance... it's a good point. Raising a cockpit hatch is definitely easier than lifting a bed, although only one of the 1260 engines is under a bed. The other is accessed through a doorway in the owner's shower. But I also see an advantage of keeping the engine access further away from possible salt water ingress.

Thanks again for the feedback.
One other factor was the smell we experienced in the after berth sailing an older cat with engines under the aft bunks. It may very well have been indicative of a problem only on this boat, but it made me wonder - not about the immediacy, but in the future after 3-5 years... Just a thought.

Great discussion!
Old 28-02-2019, 08:25   #7

Good point. I've experienced that as well on an older cat.

What Leopard did you go with?
Old 28-02-2019, 08:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cdad View Post
Good point. I've experienced that as well on an older cat.

What Leopard did you go with?
We haven't gone with anything yet! We're still searching.... and waiting for the bull boat market to correct itself so that prices drop back to a sense of normality, of which there are already signs.
Old 28-02-2019, 10:03   #9

Boat: Flicka 20

They had a Seawind cat at the Seattle boat show. I fell in love! Personally the galley down suits me fine. I like the spartan but clean look of the interior. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you can take delivery at the factory in Vietnam. They do a hands on delivery and introductory sail. This is a two day deal so I think it is a valuable extra. They also professional skippers should you want to spend a couple of weeks in country but would like a little hand holding while gaining competency with your cat.

You can sail it back to Hawaii and on to the US or have it delivered. Also a limited amount of customization is available regarding not only the interior but sails and rigging. Boy I'd sure like to be in your shoes. The wait for a new one is worth the time spent. I think Sea Wind has got the best US service too. Like I said I fell for the whole company.

Of course you'd have to consider that I only have a Flicka 20 but it fits my pocketbook.

CaptainJohn49
Old 28-02-2019, 11:01   #10

I think you may be over worried about salt water ingress to the engine? My experience is with the Moorings on Leopards. The toughest boat test is in such a charter fleet. I found the design of these model cats included excellent channeling and drainage - with this in mind I'd say oil, and coolant, and diesel away from the living area is much preferable.

Now take this a step further. I like the induction cook top idea, one electric 'engine', one diesel. Great lithium battery bank. Solar, wind generator, etc. With one diesel why do you need a generator: more living space. Now how much extra space do you have with one down sized engine compartment on the electrical 'engine' side?!!!! Yes, two heads in PLENTY: more extra space. A smaller boat is now a lot bigger.

The forward cockpit on bigger Leopards creates separate spaces for individual personal time - even if small that privacy amplifies space.
Old 28-02-2019, 13:35   #11

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m

I am a professional delivery captain, and have recently delivered a Seawind 1260 to Langkwi, Malaysia for an American owner. It is a great boat, by far the best production catamaran in it’s size range, and I have sailed most of them. Ventilation and visibility, are excellent in the saloon and cockpit. The boat is well built, fast, and points nearly as high as the best dagger board equipped cats. The layout is imminently practical. A real pleasure to sail!
Old 28-02-2019, 14:12   #12

Bill, thank you for your insight and for taking the time to provide that information. I may be in need of your services if we move forward with this purchase. Thanks again.
Old 28-02-2019, 15:48   #13

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I crew on one weekly, it's a great boat, well laid out, and easy to manage.
Old 28-02-2019, 17:14   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I have an older Seawind. While it does have a galley down it also has a BBQ under the arch. I often cook there instead of the galley in the heat of summer. Even if you have an up galley most of the stored food will be stored in the hull so you will be going up and down the companionway.

Just for the record I also have a solar oven I keep below but carry up on deck to cook and truth be told I use it more than any of my two other stoves. Saves on propane and keeps the hull/cockpit cool.

I never understood the galley up advantage. When I am at anchor I would much rather cook under the arch and let the heat blow off the back of the boat instead of heating up the salon. But then if the temp gets below 60 I consider it winter and put on winter clothing; which consists of socks and Crocks.
Old 28-02-2019, 17:34   #15

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m

Hi 3cdad,
I would be very willing to do a delivery for you if you decide to go ahead and purchase a Seawind 1260. There are many options regarding equipment, and I can advise you on that too. If you like, I can send you my email address.
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind, wind