Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Code "0" Gennaker

Hi Dave. Yes I'd guess 6K TWS on a dead calm would be minimum to keep the PS flying, 8K with a big of chop is ok. I don't think the PS would be easier to sock than a traditional spi, but it's not too hard. Ours is 125m2. The larger ones seem easy to drop as well. A couple of ways to handle dropping it are to lay on the net or take a turn around a cleat so it can't pull you up. I usually sit in the bow seat. Getting the angle right ( about 160 twa ) gets it overhead and releasing the windward guy tends to make it fold gently in half. Lower the halyard to the wing, wait 10-20 seconds for the wing to fully deflate, then lower the rest of the sock.
I'm pretty happy with the slightly smaller size. There's been a few times ai wished it was smaller, but never larger..
I'd be happy to do a test sail of both types with you if we ever cross paths!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:36   #17

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'd be happy to do a test sail of both types with you if we ever cross paths!
Now that's a good plan.....
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 13:26   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

How often in 8kt TWS are you guys surfing fast down large waves so that the chute collapses?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 13:48   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Always Mark
Maybe we mistyped, the 6-8K is the approx TWS we need to just keep the PS floating, depending on sea state for us that would give us 3-4K boat speed. As far as collapsing surfing, never happened to us. We would probably need at least 25K true to surf at 15 so it still has 10K app in the PS which is ample to keep it's shape. Maybe if we were on a beam reach it would effect the AWA and cause it to luff a bit but we haven't really had issue with that. Maybe Barra has.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:05   #20

Boat: between boats

Yep I probably wasnt clear so here goes-

The actual near collapsing Ive experienced has happened at highish wind angles with a few meters of long period swell ie flying the PS at around 120 AWA then forward to 100s on the runs. Around 18 to 20 knots TWS gave us between 10 and 14 knots boatspeed which was enough variability to get the awa moving around alot.

In my mind I was rolling that out to deeper wind angles and bigger seas with greater boatspeed changes but thats just theory at this stage and just on this boat.

Like I said I havn't compared like for like but a 20 degree wind shift is usually enough to collapse an untended sym spin whereas the PS luffs down to the wing, wing holds the bulk of the kite up for the wind change then pops back again as the boat slows. ie its still working where you should really have an asy up and that would still need tending I reckon.

If your on the helm you can chase the awa a bit and lessen all of this of course but its usually too quick for the auto pilot and in bigger seas probably not a good idea. That said I havnt played with the AP sensitivities yet in these conditions.

The other thing we are touching on is the heavier cloth of the PS is still flying in light winds whereas the equivalent sym spin for 8 knots will be a lighter cloth and blow out in montes 38 knots (or well before) .

You can have 3 sym spins (heavy moderate and light) for the cost of one PS but in the squally conditions like Monte says are you really gonna bother with spin changes?

From memory Django has a PS on his 380 and we see from his earlier post he now has a kite on a pole for races - hes the man to comment - Django where are you??? (and dont forget to tell us about your new mainsail either)

Sorry also to the OP - your not gonna get a black and white answer as per usual on CF
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gennaker