Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 14:08   #1

Catamaran large enough for my wife and I and...

my parents.

Yes. I’m thinking of taking off with both of my parents and my wife and doing some full time hopefully long term cruising. My dad and I are both long time sailors and my wife and my mom are very close friends but I have no preconceived notions that living in a relatively small space with my parents will always be perfect.

My parents are in their mid 70’s and still in good health and want to travel to warm beautiful places but need my wife and I to really make that happen at this point in their lives. I’m pushing 50 and my younger wife and I would also like to do some cruising as well as making it possible for my parents to do so at this stage in their lives. We already spend quite a bit of time together but we know we’ll need a cat big enough for everyone to have some personal space as well as some room for occasional guests.

A comfortable budget is around 500k and I’d like to be at least 46-50ft. I really like Seawind but I don’t think we’ll find the size we need at that price. The Maverick 440 is a favorite of mine but I’m not so sure it’s big enough. I haven’t been on one yet to know for sure. I’ve also taken note of the FountainPajot Salina 48 but I’m not a fan of the way the helm is set up for that boat.

Anyway, some cat suggestions for our price range and situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:25   #2

Re: Catamaran large enough for my wife and I and...

Lagoon 500 if you find one for the price, followed by L450, L440. Your parents will love the fly bridge in those warm sunny island trips. These cats have huge living space for the length. FPs are pretty similar so the Helia , Salina would be fine and the Leopard 46 too, even a Lep 44 or 48. If you are seriously considering spending a lot of time on a boat together the fly bridge (despite a couple of minor drawbacks which some folks can't seem to manage) provides yet another space for people to get away from each other if so desired.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:53   #3

Re: Catamaran large enough for my wife and I and...

Thanks Bean Counter. I’ll check them out.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran