Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2007, 15:02   #1

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
cat jibing angles

Due to the comments on another thread, I'm curious which of the cruising cats out there sail hot angles downwind for best Vmg, and which ones definitely do not. I have chartered a Privilege 39 and a Kennex 445 in the Caribbean and neither boat had enough increase in speed to make it worthwhile to sail anywhere close to a beam reach apparent wind to get a better Vmg downwind. The jibing angles seemed to work out to be a lot closer to what you would sail on a monohull keelboat (moderate cruiser/racer). Perhaps my impressions are due to the fact that not many charter boats come with a spinnaker (or cost exhorbitantly extra so I didn't get one). So if you do sail hot angles downwind, include whether that is with a spinnaker (or Screacher, Hooter, Code 0, whatever BA sail).

John
(used to race Hobie sx18 and Hobie Miracle 20)
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 16:04   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I imagine it would depend on several factors, like...wind speed and wind stability, your boat, your rig design and your sails.

Several days at sea sailing dead down wind would be covered by that other thread. A Sunday sail on the bay could be entirely different.

It's entirely possible that a broad reach and jibing can be faster for some boats. Not my boat though.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 03:58   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I sail just enough off the wind to avoid an unintentional jibe. When cruising, one may spend hours or even days on the same general point of sail. You can't constantly watch the wind and helm to avoid a jibe like you can while day sailing.

I try not to get further than ~150 deg apparent wind angle. Of course the true wind is a little further astern than that.

If I were not so lazy and deployed the gennaker and dowsed the main, there would be less risk.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote