Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2024, 07:27   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Caribbeans destination. First time Atlantic crossing

Why the marinas instead of anchoring? If this is because you need to leave the boat for a while then security is an important factor.

For a French built new boat, Le Marin in Martinique should be the best option. In the Bahamas I would have a hard time coming up with a place to leave my boat… I would sail it to Florida and secure a marina slip there.

We are always anchored but used a marina in Nassau once and I would leave my boat there and flying out for more than a couple days.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 09:54   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Caribbeans destination. First time Atlantic crossing

Regarding getting things done in Europe.. With several new Lagoons I have delivered we got in the hours for running in the engines between Le Sables and Lisbon.
Instead of waiting for wind windows we ran under power during light/no wind windows so the engines could get their first service in Lisbon where the dealerships exist and keep the makers guarantees specs ahead of their trip onwards to the Caribe.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 15:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
What did you do about curtesy flags? Do you buy them in each port of entry? Or did you buy a set in advance?
Best resource we found was the PDF flag packs on noforeignland. Just download and get it printed somewhere. You then cut them out, and stitch on a lanyard. You can save a lot of $$$ this way. There are a bunch of different packs depending on which part of the world you are heading to.

https://www.noforeignland.com/resources/flags
vindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 15:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
What did you do about curtesy flags? Do you buy them in each port of entry? Or did you buy a set in advance?
We downloaded a PDF flag pack from noforeignland. Printed them before we left, then cut them out when we needed them and stitched on on a lanyard. You can save a lot of $$$ as they work out about just $2 each:
vindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 16:02   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I agree with you on Le Marin. It is ground zero for uniquely French boat parts like hatch seals and stanchions.

I would not advise joining a rally. There is always peer pressure to push the boat, and you should go at your own time and on your own pace.

Don't over plan a Bahamas stop. By the time you get to the Caribbean your circumstances and schedule will probably be changed.

I once went to Newport from the BVI in time for a Memorial day wedding. It was a tough trip, and the locals said their sailing starts mid June.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 17:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
I’ve missed whether your boat is new or new to you.
If it’s new, then all I can say is “New boats, new problems” Expect numerous items to be fixed and to head straight off for a trans Atlantic crossing could be a problem.
Get everything done in Europe before you leave. It’s very expensive to get parts and repairs done enroute.
I agree with others that being in one of the rallies could be an advantage, but once you leave port you’re on your own except in an emergency.
The main problems I’ve seen have been:
Power. Have enough battery storage & production for your needs. Try to have redundancy ie Solar, hydro generators, a portable geny etc. You don’t want to have to run your engine for hours every day.
Autopilot. If you can have a backup system or at least parts, manuals and an understanding of the system. You don’t want to handsteer for 18 days.
Medical. Have a very good medical kit and plenty of antibiotics & serious painkillers.
Starlink. We had it and saw how valuable it is. For weather, medical advice etc. Absolutely worth it.
Some fishing gear. It gets a bit boring at times.
Finally be conservative on your boat and it’ll thank you
Thank you! The boat is new to me and new in general. All the points you raised are going to be addressed. I am planning to go full time cruising and I am building my boat to be 99% off-grid. Redundancy is to the point I will have 2 water maker (12 volt and 230 volt with many parts that will cross over). Yes, I am planning on having complete replacement parts for the auto pilot in their boxes. Lots of solar, lithium, and 2 integrel generators. Starlink is on a long list of upgrades that will make this experience safer and comfortable.
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 17:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why the marinas instead of anchoring? If this is because you need to leave the boat for a while then security is an important factor.

For a French built new boat, Le Marin in Martinique should be the best option. In the Bahamas I would have a hard time coming up with a place to leave my boat… I would sail it to Florida and secure a marina slip there.

We are always anchored but used a marina in Nassau once and I would leave my boat there and flying out for more than a couple days.
Thanks for the advice! I am planning to land mid to late December in Martinique. My insurance is running out Feb 19th where I am planning to buy a North American policy (much cheaper) which usually included the Bahamas. Since no point in sailing home before April (northern New Jersey), I thought I can keep it in the Bahamas and fly over to enjoy few trips while it is there. Finding a good safe marina in the Bahamas with easy travel access from he US is a big deal for me. I don't want to stress over it... I got a bunch of suggestions here and I saved all of them. I will look into this in due time.
Old 10-03-2024, 17:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindyman View Post
We downloaded a PDF flag pack from noforeignland. Printed them before we left, then cut them out when we needed them and stitched on on a lanyard. You can save a lot of $$$ as they work out about just $2 each:
Well, I read this a bit too late and I already went ahead and order a set...
Thank you though!

Tags
Caribbean, atlantic crossing, rib, destination