Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 06:18   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Build your own.

The $21K catamaran: Build a cat fast and cheap

I have long followed this guy and his catamarans. No charge in anyway for the info and if you just follow the photos you will see how it all comes together........ Gunboat it isnt but stable and good looking it is.

This is the spirit of a a good boater........ amazing.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 06:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Build your own.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 07:43   #3

"The builder claims about 900 hours and he has done enough of them to know. His first one was in the seventies."

Well if after 35-40 years of experience building these it takes this guy 900 hours probably means someone just trying to build their first one would spend double that time at least, if not triple or more. Puts a damper on the whole concept if one has to quit his job to finish it within a year (+/- 2,000 hours) or doing it on weekends and spend 7-10 years of weekend tinkering. On the other hand a great project for a retired trades person or just someone with time on their hands. I could see myself in my retirement years doing something like that at leisurely pace just to keep myself occupied.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 07:54   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Perfect, for the person who enjoys the work.

For the person that has other skills, 21,000 + 900 (50) = $66,000. Probably $100K, assuming it is his first and after all of the do-dads are installed.

100K = 1997 PDQ 32/34, which is a lot more boat. Nice Geminis can be had for much less.

The truth is that used boats represent solid value. The ONLY reason to self-build is if you really enjoy it AND want something that does not exist.
Old 26-12-2014, 07:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Looks good. I am impressed with epoxy- plywood builds. Seem to last a long time without blistering. Kinds looks like a home made Chris White!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:24   #6

The one thing I didn't see was the level of fit and finish. There weren't any interior pictures and it's all the fiddly bits that cost a lot of time and money to add.

If you are looking for a simple wharram style cat, this may be a nice option at a significant cost savings but I doubt it is comparable to your average production model.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 12:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Perfect, for the person who enjoys the work.

For the person that has other skills, 21,000 + 900 (50) = $66,000. Probably $100K, assuming it is his first and after all of the do-dads are installed.

100K = 1997 PDQ 32/34, which is a lot more boat. Nice Geminis can be had for much less.

The truth is that used boats represent solid value. The ONLY reason to self-build is if you really enjoy it AND want something that does not exist.
I'm really not sure what your numbers represent?

Used boats are just that - used. And may come with all kinds of unseen problems.

Building one yourself gets you into a brand new boat, far cheaper than buying one.

And you can have it exactly how you want it.

But certainly, a first-timer would take far longer to build than an experienced builder. In my case it was a bit less than double.

I'd certainly encourage any reasonably capable handyman to build his own. It's very satisfying. Go for it Weavis!

If you're interested, some photo's of mine being built: Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 12:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'm really not sure what your numbers represent?

Used boats are just that - used. And may come with all kinds of unseen problems.

Building one yourself gets you into a brand new boat, far cheaper than buying one.

And you can have it exactly how you want it.

But certainly, a first-timer would take far longer to build than an experienced builder. In my case it was a bit less than double.

I'd certainly encourage any reasonably capable handyman to build his own. It's very satisfying. Go for it Weavis!

If you're interested, some photo's of mine being built: Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
The difference is your home built boat even if in good condition will likely sell for next to nothing. The production boat on the other hand will likely sell for more even if of lower overall quality because it is a known quality.

The reason to home build is because you like to take on a project. Far cheaper to buy a used production boat and rehab it to your liking.
Old 26-12-2014, 12:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The difference is your home built boat even if in good condition will likely sell for next to nothing. The production boat on the other hand will likely sell for more even if of lower overall quality because it is a known quality.

The reason to home build is because you like to take on a project. Far cheaper to buy a used production boat and rehab it to your liking.
My home build has been valued at more than double what it cost me in materials. I've also had genuine, unsolicited offers to buy. In fact I currently have a "standing" offer.

And similar boats to mine usually sell fairly easily, as long as they are reasonably well finished. The fact is, you can't buy production boats that sail like these, unless you're prepared to fork out huge sums.
Old 26-12-2014, 12:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
The difference is your home built boat even if in good condition will likely sell for next to nothing ...
Sometimes the difference is the one builds his own boat not for sale, i.e. without any business-like idea to make more money....
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 12:53   #11

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

The big catamaran Ppalu was build on similar technique (plywood and glassed) and still sailing around..
I believed deeply on build something for yourself...
I agree could cost a lot if you do not mastered few basic skills.. take measurement, use few tools and be patience...
I do not have $1 million to get my favorite trimaran... but I have the basic skills to build something for around $ 2K/mts...
I admire the guy... I always think do a little more with a little less....
Old 26-12-2014, 13:01   #12

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Build a herd of them...
Old 26-12-2014, 13:03   #13

Quote:
My home build has been valued at more than double what it cost me in materials. I've also had genuine, unsolicited offers to buy. In fact I currently have a "standing" offer.

And similar boats to mine usually sell fairly easily, as long as they are reasonably well finished. The fact is, you can't buy production boats that sail like these, unless you're prepared to fork out huge sums.
Don't get me wrong, I know a couple of guys who built large cruising boats and both are beautiful well crafted boats. I'm sure your boat is very nice and sails nicely.

That's a great compliment if you are getting unsolicited offers but for the average guy looking to buy or build, it's fools gold to think they would even get double the cost of the materials (which isn't that good considering they only make up 15-25% of the cost of a production boat).

Every home built I've come across for sale has always fit into one of 2 catagories:
- Asking a tiny fraction of what an equivilent production boat would be priced at.
- Asking similar prices but never selling.

If it were easy to produce a high quality boat for a fraction of the current production boat sales prices...everyone would be starting boat building companies.

As far not caring about what it sells for: that falls under taking on a project because you like projects. Most people would be wise to consider the full financials including the potential resale value.
Old 26-12-2014, 13:16   #14

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know a couple of guys who built large cruising boats and both are beautiful well crafted boats. I'm sure your boat is very nice and sails nicely.

That's a great compliment if you are getting unsolicited offers but for the average guy looking to buy or build, it's fools gold to think they would even get double the cost of the materials (which isn't that good considering they only make up 15-25% of the cost of a production boat).
But they represent close to 100% of the cost of a home build. So actually it's a pretty good return.
Old 27-12-2014, 05:50   #15

Quote:
But they represent close to 100% of the cost of a home build. So actually it's a pretty good return.
1000's of hours of labor for break even isn't my idea of a great return. Then again, I said that would be a best case scenario for most.

Again, build a boat if you like but don't plan on it as being a profit making experience.