Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2023, 07:01   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Boom Furler advice

Greetings All,

I am looking for some advice on a boom furler for our Leopard 40. We are planing to fit new sails and would like to move to a boom furler at the same time.

Would love to hear from those of you who have one and how it works for you(or not!). I have looked at LeisureFurl and the Schaefer Marine (Really like this one!). So please let me know if you have any input on those. Also happy to look at any other recommendations.

Please this is not a boom vs in-mast vs slab reefing debate, there are enough threads on that.

Thanks in advance!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:32   #2
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: Boom Furler advice

We have 7+ years with the Schaffer furling boom on our Lafitte 44 with lots of ocean miles. Definitely would buy it again.
As with anything there are things to watch for, pm if you want details.
Tom

Sent from my SM-P610 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 00:01   #3

Many thanks for that response. It would be great if you can give some tips here, others may well appreciate it.
Old 13-03-2023, 01:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I would talk to Leopard first!

When you reef a catamaran, the clew is reefed more deeply than an in-boom would normally reef. The result is that the center of effort of a reefed catamaran main is moved significantly forward on reef 1, 2 and very far forward for reef 3.

If you have in-boom, the only way to move the CoE of the main that far forward is to reduce the square top. That would reduce sail area of the full main. On edit- I don't think an in-boom could move the CoE as far forward as the factory set-up.

There are many calculations that need to be done by a competent sail-maker to see how this will alter CoE for the main when reefed.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 02:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I would talk to Leopard first!

When you reef a catamaran, the clew is reefed more deeply than an in-boom would normally reef. The result is that the center of effort of a reefed catamaran main is moved significantly forward on reef 1, 2 and very far forward for reef 3.

If you have in-boom, the only way to move the CoE of the main that far forward is to reduce the square top. That would reduce sail area of the full main. On edit- I don't think an in-boom could move the CoE as far forward as the factory set-up.

There are many calculations that need to be done by a competent sail-maker to see how this will alter CoE for the main when reefed.
Will definitely talk to Leopard as well as their sailmaker. Good point.

However I do not see the difference between slab reefing down onto the boom or rolling down into the boom. Of more concern to me would be the weight of the new boom and its components.
Old 13-03-2023, 02:52   #6

I recommend leisure furl .
Clevermoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 10:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevermoray View Post
I recommend leisure furl .
Thanks, have looked at them.
Old 13-03-2023, 11:31   #8

Hello aqfishing ,

don't forget to get mainsail E and P dimensions from your manufacturer as you will need them for any boom furling upgrade..

Best ,
CM
Clevermoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 11:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevermoray View Post
Hello aqfishing ,

don't forget to get mainsail E and P dimensions from your manufacturer as you will need them for any boom furling upgrade..

Best ,
CM
Got!
Old 13-03-2023, 16:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boom Furler advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Will definitely talk to Leopard as well as their sailmaker. Good point.

However I do not see the difference between slab reefing down onto the boom or rolling down into the boom. Of more concern to me would be the weight of the new boom and its components.

A full main has a boom/mast angle of about 90 degrees. When you set the second and third reef, the boom goes up. Or the boom/mast angle becomes more acute. My guess is when you set a third reef, the boom to mast angle is almost 45 degrees.

The net effect is to both reduce sail area and shift the main’s CoE radically forward
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 13-03-2023, 23:52   #11

Quote:
A full main has a boom/mast angle of about 90 degrees. When you set the second and third reef, the boom goes up. Or the boom/mast angle becomes more acute. My guess is when you set a third reef, the boom to mast angle is almost 45 degrees.

The net effect is to both reduce sail area and shift the main’s CoE radically forward
Thank you for taking the time to respond, really appreciate your input.
We only have 2 reefs.
Single line reefing to clew and tack at reefing points to clutch at helm.
Solid Vang (I think there is some movement)

Sorry so vague, have only been on her twice (thx to Covid), and both times the wind was so light we never raised the main.

Yip, boom angle could well be an issue. Talking to sailmaker today and will decide from there whether to contact boom furling companies.

Attached a pic and diagram fyi.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salty.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	272766  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sail Plan Leopard 40.pdf (325.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 14-03-2023, 05:03   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond, really appreciate your input.

You are very welcome. I firmly believe delivery captains and others with solid experience have an obligation to share meaningful input on situations like this.

While flying home from Greece (24 @##hours) I played with the sail geometry and could not get the reefing to both move the CoE AND reduce the same percentage of sail area-- all while keeping the square top.

As threads around here tend to get buried, would you PM me with the final decision?

thanks
Bill
Old 14-03-2023, 05:11   #13

Quote:
You are very welcome. I firmly believe delivery captains and others with solid experience have an obligation to share meaningful input on situations like this.

While flying home from Greece (24 @##hours) I played with the sail geometry and could not get the reefing to both move the CoE AND reduce the same percentage of sail area-- all while keeping the square top.

As threads around here tend to get buried, would you PM me with the final decision?

thanks
Bill
Will let you know.

PS. Its not the square top main. Cheap n nasty charter version. Doubt I will go with the square top.

Eugene.
Old 14-03-2023, 18:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have a 20 year+ old Profurl on our boat. It was installed when we bought it. We pretty much like it (way superior to in-mast), but I find it difficult to justify their cost.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 04:08   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

For transparency, I have not owned one, but I did speak with a captain who was operating a Lucia 40 with a Leisure Furl boom furling system at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show ride along demonstrations. In fact he was contemplating buying a Lucia, but he said he would not put one on his.

He wasn’t sure if it was because it was a cat, or that the issues were because of that specific unit, but he had jamming problems when he tried to raise and lower it. Somebody from a dealership finally came out (I think the second day), and helped him with it. Beyond that, I can’t really offer much other than it was newish, up for sale, and is still up for sale.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, furler