Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 06:18   #1

Replacing Furler Drum Bearings on a ProFurl Jib Furler

Hello all. Has anyone got any tips on replacing the drum bearings on a profurl jib furler. I have the parts but have no knowledge as yet. I have help from an experienced couple to remove the forestay and dissassemble the unit but lack the experience in dealing with the bearing replacement. We are dealing with a 40ft Beneteau Oceanis 400. Any help greatly appreciated as the help so far has been "get a new one" Ta.
Tuzza56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 06:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Wish I could help. Mine is a Furlex. Did an overhaul last January. It was a PITA in general but doable with patience and attention to detail.

I don't know about the Profurl but the Furlex has non-captive bearings and a "fixed" forestay length requiring threading the forestay through the lower thimble.

- Loose bearings means order some extras. I lost some during disassembly on the boat.
- Forestay. I had to buy a new one. It was impossible to thread the used (splayed) forestay back through the thimble. The new forestay had a taper built in. Mark the length. Thread through thimble. Cut the stay. Assemble the lower attach fitting, assemble the foils.

Sorry if the Profurl is completely different and this is off-topic.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:28   #3

You need a bearing refit kit & it needs to be installed by a professional rigger. The bearings are pressed in and you cannot do this repair yourself.
matvps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler